Anyone notice the wind turbine off of 270/sawmill?

HotCarl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its the mazda dealerships....probably a PR stunt for going green...when i went by it wasnt turning and there was a nice breeze out.

I think it wasn't operational when they first installed it. It has been turning the last few times i saw it.

I wonder what kind of output one would have? I know a whole farm of them could power towns but just one?

I did a fairly extensive project on these last year, and if it's in Columbus, it is largely a PR stunt. The only places windy enough to justify the use of wind turbines in Ohio are along Lake Erie up North, and to some degree in Champaign county.

Them's the facts :).

I did a fairly extensive project on these last year, and if it's in Columbus, it is largely a PR stunt. The only places windy enough to justify the use of wind turbines in Ohio are along Lake Erie up North, and to some degree in Champaign county.

You can't believe everything you read.

So are these two location's only viable b/c of the amount of wind they get on a regular basis or is there some other reasoning for it? The only windfarms ive seen are coastal and a windfarm in Illinois while i was on a roadtrip.

I know nothing about these but would assume the only criteria needed would be alot of flat land/water, no?

I saw a story on it last week that the Buyer's dealership was installing one to help offset the energy cost. If it works well, they said they are going to build them at their other locations. I think they had it fully put together on Thursday or Friday of last week. I think they said the savings will offset the cost of the thing in 5-10 years.

It takes 7 mph winds for it to turn, so it won't always be turning.

I saw a story on it last week that the Buyer's dealership was installing one to help offset the energy cost. If it works well, they said they are going to build them at their other locations. I think they had it fully put together on Thursday or Friday of last week. I think they said the savings will offset the cost of the thing in 5-10 years.

It takes 7 mph winds for it to turn, so it won't always be turning.

This

The companies were awarded a $200,000 energy grant from the Ohio Department of Development to install the turbines, McClain said. The cost of the project is approximately $600,000.

so thats 400,000 in energy savings in 5-10!?... i kind of doubt that even for a whole car lot, but i dont know lol

so thats 400,000 in energy savings in 5-10!?... i kind of doubt that even for a whole car lot, but i dont know lol

Those are some crazy bright lights though. I bet they do use a lot of power. Not sure how it's designed, but I bet when it's producing energy they are not using, they sell it back to AEP and profit.

Those are some crazy bright lights though. I bet they do use a lot of power. Not sure how it's designed, but I bet when it's producing energy they are not using, they sell it back to AEP and profit.

AEP no longer will pay you for your contribution to the power grid, they will only issue energy credits, deeming it a non profit venture for a private consumer.

I work at dent wizard 2 doors down, the layed the base for it all last week, but they built the whole windmill in one day, it was crazy to walk outside in the morning and see no windmill and go to lunch at 2 and see 2 people standing on top of it installing the blade