Lettuce discuss the wheel gun as a CCW...

Pedro1647545510

So I am considering replacing my current CCW piece with a S&W 442, Ruger, or S&W Bodyguard 38. Why don't more people carry revolvers as a CCW? I want something smaller than my current sub-compact Springfield. The only drawback I can see at the moment is less capacity and maybe the smaller sights. Anything else?

Because having six rounds sucks badly, and bigger cylinders are bulkier. When I was in CCW class the hit rate among civilian AND LE shootings was 1 in 7 (or something to that effect) so statistically you're not likely to get a hit on a target without reloading a revolver.

Because having six rounds sucks badly, and bigger cylinders are bulkier. When I was in CCW class the hit rate among civilian AND LE shootings was 1 in 7 (or something to that effect) so statistically you're not likely to get a hit on a target without reloading a revolver.

Many compact or subcompact single stack concealed carry semiautos have similar ammo capacities

Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 7 rounds

Beretta Tomcat 7 rounds

Colt DA 45 7 rounds

Colt Defender 45 7 rounds

Glock 36 6 rounds

Glock 39 6 rounds

Kahr MK40 5 rounds

K40 6 rounds

MK9 7 rounds

Kel-Tec P-3AT 6 rounds

Ruger LCP 6 rounds

Revolvers

Ruger GP100 7 rounds

S&W 327PD 8 rounds

S&W Airlite 317 8 rounds

Taurus Judge 5, 6, 7 rounds depending on model. If using Federal ammo each .410 round contains 4 000 pellets. Winchester has 3 defensive discs and 12 plated BBs.

There are many more examples. I know there are many high capacity semiautos but, it limits which guns you can carry and the clothes you can wear when you get a bigger high capacity gun.

I had considered a J-Frame S&W initially but found I could more comfortably conceal a single-stack auto. I like revolvers, and they generally tend to be the most reliable, but it just didn't work out as well for me in reality as it did "on paper". Also I was surprised by how "flippy" +P 38s are in an small aluminum revolver. I'm not usually recoil sensitive, but I think the fact that I couldn't get all of my fingers on the gun really affected my followup shots.

I can carry my current gun more easily and I shoot it more accurately with less discomfort - all while holding an additional 2 rounds and maintaining the same loaded weight and nearly the same external dimensions (except thinner).

As always, your own personal preferences will be the biggest deciding factor. Definitely shoot a few and try them in a few holsters before you commit to buying any gun for CCW.

I had considered a J-Frame S&W initially but found I could more comfortably conceal a single-stack auto. I like revolvers, and they generally tend to be the most reliable, but it just didn't work out as well for me in reality as it did "on paper". Also I was surprised by how "flippy" +P 38s are in an small aluminum revolver. I'm not usually recoil sensitive, but I think the fact that I couldn't get all of my fingers on the gun really affected my followup shots.

I can carry my current gun more easily and I shoot it more accurately with less discomfort - all while holding an additional 2 rounds and maintaining the same loaded weight and nearly the same external dimensions (except thinner).

As always, your own personal preferences will be the biggest deciding factor. Definitely shoot a few and try them in a few holsters before you commit to buying any gun for CCW.

What are you currently carrying?

That Taurus Judge is a goddamn beast! I have never been all that into guns but the thing shoots shotgun shells too? Whats next, pocket grenade launcher?

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

Yeah, but I can't see carrying that slab of iron around all day. If you won't regularly have something with you it may never do you any good.

I'm not saying you couldn't carry a Judge for CCW, and it would hit hard up close, but it seems like a bad choice to me. "Drawer gun" or "Glovebox Gun" perhaps, but I aint carrying that bitch around all day.

Edit: the gun in the previous post is not a Judge by the way. Maybe that's not what you're implying, just putting it out there.

That is a Mateba Autorevolver. Kind of a weird foreign made revolver.

Yeah, but I can't see carrying that slab of iron around all day. If you won't regularly have something with you it may never do you any good.

I'm not saying you couldn't carry a Judge for CCW, and it would hit hard up close, but it seems like a bad choice to me. "Drawer gun" or "Glovebox Gun" perhaps, but I aint carrying that bitch around all day.

Edit: the gun in the previous post is not a Judge by the way. Maybe that's not what you're implying, just putting it out there.

That is a Mateba Autorevolver. Kind of a weird foreign made revolver.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=714&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=public%20defender

Slab of Iron???? They now have it in a polymer frame. It weighs 27 oz and is 7.65". Hell the 9" steel is only 26 oz.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=712&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=public%20defender

I hadn't seen those, but It's still a bulky weapon in a quirky caliber that I don't think would be a good choice for CCW, for me at least. At 27 oz it's almost 10 oz heavier than I'm accustomed to.

I hadn't seen those, but It's still a bulky weapon in a quirky caliber that I don't think would be a good choice for CCW, for me at least. At 27 oz it's almost 10 oz heavier than I'm accustomed to.

If you are looking at sub 20 oz guns your looking at a pocket carry weapon. The general guidelines I have seen are:

Concealed carry - <40oz <9"

Compact carry - <30oz <8"

Pocket carry - <20oz <6.5"