AJ is looking for DOM tube

AJ

Just mild steel? Any of the local tubing suppliers should have it...

Tubular techniques would if you need a small amount.

I'm shocked Jegs doesnt have DOM Chromoloy.

Just mild steel? Any of the local tubing suppliers should have it...

Tubular techniques would if you need a small amount.

I'm shocked Jegs doesnt have DOM Chromoloy.

DOM is mild steel not chromoloy. DOM and HREW are both the same metal DOM just goes through an extra step to work harden it and makes it stronger.

i'll look up tubular and give them a call.

I thought the common ones are 1010 ERW, 1020 DOM, and 4130 DOM...

ERW and DOM are procedures, not compositions. DOM = Drawn over mandrel, which normally starts as ERW (Electric resistance welded) or there is seamless DOM like with most 4130 that starts off as a billet and is drawn over a mandrel.

DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) has a more consistent size and shape so that it has consistent properties in any direction for lack of a better term. DOM still does have a seam that is fused therefore you still have a heat affected zone down the length of the tube. After the tube is formed and welded, it is then pulled over a mandrel to accurately form the shape which provides a more uniform wall thickness, ID, OD. This also does some cold working and can possibly add some strength.

CDS (Cold Drawn Seamless) tubing is formed from a solid carbon steel bar by drawing it over a mandrel to form it's shape. Therefore there is no welded seam. This process also cold works the steel and improves it's mechanical properties.

Chromoly Tube is basically CDS tubing made from 4130 alloy steel. Standard CDS tube is typically 1018 or 1020 carbon steel. The 4130 alloy has greater tensile and yield strength than 1020 while maintaining good ductility. However it does require certain things be done before during and after the welding process to ensure the weld integrity as well as the quality of the base metal in the heat affected zone of the weld.

DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) has a more consistent size and shape so that it has consistent properties in any direction for lack of a better term. DOM still does have a seam that is fused therefore you still have a heat affected zone down the length of the tube. After the tube is formed and welded, it is then pulled over a mandrel to accurately form the shape which provides a more uniform wall thickness, ID, OD. This also does some cold working and can possibly add some strength.

CDS (Cold Drawn Seamless) tubing is formed from a solid carbon steel bar by drawing it over a mandrel to form it's shape. Therefore there is no welded seam. This process also cold works the steel and improves it's mechanical properties.

Chromoly Tube is basically CDS tubing made from 4130 alloy steel. Standard CDS tube is typically 1018 or 1020 carbon steel. The 4130 alloy has greater tensile and yield strength than 1020 while maintaining good ductility. However it does require certain things be done before during and after the welding process to ensure the weld integrity as well as the quality of the base metal in the heat affected zone of the weld.

Are you quoting that right out of a book?

I learned something today.

You've said what I've said with different words. :) My point was (in my first post) that DOM can be mild or 4130.

You said:

DOM is mild steel not chromoloy

And that's not true. :) It could be either.