Putnam Park, NASA Great Lakes/Midwest October 2010

Das Borgen

enjoy

4th session, still pretty noob and learning lines. By this session I was solo and the 911, lexus and corvette that lined up in front of me for the session just couldn t get it in their minds after the 1st 3 sessions that a relatively stock-ish M3 (koni shocks on stock springs, front bar) outhustled them......... Only other fast drivers in my group were a yellow Mustang on NT01, a grey Mazdaspeed Miata, a black E36 M3/4/5 (M3, 4door, 5speed manual) on AST4100 coilovers and 255/40/17 *specs

some traffic popped up

open track playing catch up to a good driver (it was his 1st event but he picked it up really fast after 15years of autoX)

his: ast 4100, 650F/750R springs, 255/40/17 star specs, good camber, big front bar

mine: stock springs on Koni S/A shocks, 245/40/17 (same tires)

spun this car 3 times when I was let to drive it on some heat cycled out Toyo RA-1 rubber. It's a 944-Spec built race car, fully caged, gutted, window-netted, fire supression equipped, etc etc

:)

Watched a lap and a half of the second vid. It's late and I'm not watching all of them. I was on Putnam last Sunday. Sorry for being short.

You are missing the apex by coming in too early and losing the opportunity to carry more speed through the turn. Especially in turn one. Your line through turn 3 and 4 looked good and that can be a tough area, seeings how Putnam only has 2 left turns, 4 and 8.

Might watch more another time. Good vid though. What mount set up?

Rich,

Nice driving. I watched the M3 for a little bit, but I watched the 944 whole thing. Nice spinning. You did what I did. You expected too much from the car. I spun my first 2 sessions because I was over driving the car big time. That is what happened the first 2 spins. That last spin it look like you did not steer into the turn (maybe you did). It also sounded like you got off the gas fully, which is maybe what you felt comfortable doing.

After your first talk with Paul you drove much better out there. I would agree that you turn in too early on turn 1. I also enjoy going mid track on turn 9 (or10) the one before pit entrance. You turn right and hit the right candies, I like to stay a little more middle and actually go into the pit entrance tar a bit to give me a straighter shot to the last turn before the front straight.

Your car is also very different from mine, so my line may not work with your car or I could have it all wrong with lines. I do know a lot about spinning though. In genral the later you turn into a turn, the sooner you can get on the gas (to a point). Try on Turn 5 to go in a little later also.

Spent all weekend there and never spotted you guys.

Putnam is one of my favorite tracks. It's pretty simple and easy to find a fast line quickly, but finding that extra 3 tenths of a second is a challenge there.

Took a quick look at your video and I see a possible two seconds you're leaving on the table. Turn 1, like Max mentioned, your turn in is too early. You should be braking till and just slightly into the turn in point. If you touch the curbing anywhere before the last 4 feet of it, you turned in too early. and you should be on the throttle well before the inside tire clips the apex. After the apex you should be carrying enough speed that the car is dancing all the way to the edge of the track before turn 2. Turn 4, this is the tough one to master. You should be entering midtrack, straddling the crown. As you turn in the car will step out, it's a matter of countersteering and full throttle that gets you through. Your line is the safer yet slower one. Each lap you should enter another foot or so away from the inside curbing. You will find the optimal entry point one lap before you spin off into the grass (not recommended untill you step up to HPDE 3 or 4). Turn 8 (Dead Bear), Try staying mid track untill you can see the inside curbing, then turn in and clip the last 3-4 foot of the curbing. Your exit was perfect but you'll be able to carry much more speed through it if you apex much latter.

Hope to see you guys at Mid Ohio in April.