looking at buying my first gun

kirks5oh

Care to elaborate? You like my Glock .40 just fine...

-Marc

They had some early KBs when they first came out because they have an unsupported chamber (Google Glock Kaboom). Most handgun manufacturers ramped up their 9mm frame guns to take .40 when it caught on and many of them leave a bit of an open spot at the rear bottom of the chamber to allow them to function properly. Almost any modern ammo has a beefed up case base nowadays and should be safe, even in an unsupported chamber.

All of that shit is why the Steyr M40 was the bomb for those in the know at the time... but their importer f-ed up and they fell off the map in the early 2000's (not that they were very "on the map" to begin with). Most people reading this will be like "WTF is a Steyr M40". But, again, these days it's not much of a problem because the ammunition manufacturers "fixed" the problem for the most part on their own.

I keep hearing... my kids never go in my closet or, put it up high outta reach. Does anyone ever worry about their kids going hunting for Christmas or birthday presents? I mean, I did when I was a kid. The first places I looked was mom/dads closet and under bed. As for outta reach. Kids will pull a chair up to stand on to get anything interesting. I know with proper teaching and warning this can be avoided, but just wanted to put it out there. I know there are horror stories all over the net and news of just such scenario playing out.

A cousin of mine was shot in the back of the head by his friend. He died. His father was a police officer and it was his service gun. He was showing his friend the gun. He knelt down to the safe in the closet, got the firearm out and handed it back to his friend standing behind him. bang. Friend grabbed the gun and hit the trigger. Reason for telling that story is just remember you can do everything you think to make it safe but please teach the kids about being safe and what CAN really happen. Your not always as safe against something like this as you may think. He knew he shouldn't have been getting into that safe but still...

sorry for the rant, but...

right, but the kids are small enough if its up high, they probably couldnt get to it even if they were on a chair. @ 3 though, they're old enough to learn not to touch it at all...i went to my friends house when her son was either 3 or 4 and her husband kept his AK in a locked carrying case right in the dining room, but the kid knew not to even think about touching it. i guess he even knew he had a .22 her husband bought him that he was gonna be taught to shoot in a couple years, and he didnt want to fuck up that chance

i carry a glock 27 .40, we have a springfield xd 9mm by the bed and a mossberg 500 close by as well.

only real thing i can contribute is dont be afraid to leave a round in the chamber.. what good is it if you need it in a hurry and have to load a round in, might be too late.

i carry a glock 27 .40, we have a springfield xd 9mm by the bed and a mossberg 500 close by as well.

only real thing i can contribute is dont be afraid to leave a round in the chamber.. what good is it if you need it in a hurry and have to load a round in, might be too late.

^^This.

Knock knock. BANG!!

they do have small safes though that you can use your own passcode, and get into it pretty quickly. as for a shotgun, i guess you would just need to keep it out of reach of the kids. something ive been considering (yet i dont need to since i dont have/want kids) is mounting a couple hooks on the inside wall of the closet above the door and hanging it there...that way its pretty much out of sight, kids will never get to it...

always liked this idea.

right, but the kids are small enough if its up high, they probably couldnt get to it even if they were on a chair. @ 3 though, they're old enough to learn not to touch it at all...

Exactly! teaching children about firearms is a parental duty. hell my 2 year old knows only to shoot deer and badguys :D