Code P1580

blue98ls1

Just bought a 98 GTI VR6 yesterday at an auction. The car is having some issues, it is tossing the code P1580 (throttle actuator b1 malfunction). In first gear if I let off of the clutch at all while moving it will die. I have to hold the clutch halfway down an accelerate to get the car to move at all. It does this in every gear. Once you let off the clutch it feels like you hit a wall and it just doesn't recognize that you are pressing down the gas pedal. I could not get the car past 3ed gear as I couldn't get enough speed.

It is also tossing a MAF malfuction code. We took the MAF off and it looks clean, almost new. It has a K&N filter installed (very dirty). We put fresh gas in it and had the accessory belt and tensioner replaced as both where shot. The car has obviously been sitting for a while. We pulled the air filter out and I attempted to drive it, felt slightly better for a minute but not a major improvement.

Sitting idle the car revs and sounds good. Only when in gear and trying to drive it, it has issues.

Should we be looking at wiring, or sensors or a clutch issue?? :confused:

I know next to nothing about VW. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the throttle body went bad. That's throttle by wire right? Might just have to do a re-alignment on it, you can use vagcom for that.

No idea........ :o The car is the 2.8 6cyl if that helps at all? Whats vagcom?

This car just makes me feel like anything I have learned about cars has been tossed out the window. :(

Oh and many thanks to Paul for helping me attempt to figure something out on this car.

Anyone that has one of these cars want to come over for a bit to help try to figure this out? Maybe bring your MAF before I go buy a bunch of un-needed parts and toss crap at it.

No idea........ :o The car is the 2.8 6cyl if that helps at all? Whats vagcom?

Look at the throttle body and if there is a traditional cable connected to it, it's not throttle by wire. If it opens electronically, then sometimes those need re-aligned or go bad. Vagcom is diagnostic software for VW's, there might be another way to re-align those, I don't know a whole lot about those cars specifically, I just saw Throttle Actuator and made me think of that.

Look at the throttle body and if there is a traditional cable connected to it, it's not throttle by wire. If it opens electronically, then sometimes those need re-aligned or go bad. Vagcom is diagnostic software for VW's, there might be another way to re-align those, I don't know a whole lot about those cars specifically, I just saw Throttle Actuator and made me think of that.

Its got anormal cable. Car feels like something isant letting it get gas. Bad ground? Maf totalllly fried? Idk,

Anyone have a maf wshe could borrow..would take less then 2 mins to swap to see if its that

Edited by wannaraceLS1

Lemme check my pile of parts, I may have one. Spray it out with MAF cleaner first. You'd be amazed what will gunk up in there. Spray out the TB too. They can be finicky about the filter too. If there is any excess oil on the filter it will pull it out and it will coat the sensor.

Check for vacuum leaks, and bad grounds also. They are the death of many a VW. If it's been sitting a while, pull the pugs and clean them off. Wait til dark and look for arcing off of the coil, and/or wires.

Monikas Golf had a dying MAF in it when we bought it, I cleaned it out and went 3 or 4 more months before it crapped out. I doubt it's the clutch, but bleeding it couldn't hurt.

You guys still going to the movie tomorrow?

Edited by Patterson

Lemme check my pile of parts, I may have one. Spray it out with MAF cleaner first. You'd be amazed what will gunk up in there. Spray out the TB too. They can be finicky about the filter too. If there is any excess oil on the filter it will pull it out and it will coat the sensor.

Check for vacuum leaks, and bad grounds also. They are the death of many a VW. If it's been sitting a while, pull the pugs and clean them off. Wait til dark and look for arcing off of the coil, and/or wires.

Monikas Golf had a dying MAF in it when we bought it, I cleaned it out and went 3 or 4 more months before it crapped out. I doubt it's the clutch, but bleeding it couldn't hurt.

You guys still going to the movie tomorrow?

we used some maf cleaner on it. the maf looked clean. heck it looked brand new she said it felt better for a few seconds an then crapped out as normal. yea if you coudl see if you have a maf laying around that would work. or even a known one working in a car as it only takes 2 seconds to swap them.

they plugs were preety black an we got a set but didnt put them in yet.

Clean the connector at the TB, check the battery terms, as well as the alternator.

which connector? the trottle position actuator? looked clean when i un plugged it an put it back on

Try driving it with the maf unplugged.

was thinking that but didnt do it will the car run with it un plugged?

Sounds like the throttle body went bad. That's throttle by wire right? Might just have to do a re-alignment on it, you can use vagcom for that.

MK3 don t get that problem...only the MK4 seems to get TB alignment issues

echo anson

drive with MAF unplugged

you can get a MAF from a non-VR6 motor from another MK3 (2.0L 4cyl)

.....the housing are different but the actual maf elements are the same,

DON T pull on the spark plug wires when you re gonna do the plugs....on your hood prop, there's gonna be a plastic tool attached to it (hopefully it s still there), that s you spark plug wire puller tool....you hook it onto the aprak plug side of the wire, twist to engage the end of the wire and pull with the tool...if you don t use the tool, you have a big change of breaking the wire

MK3 don t get that problem...only the MK4 seems to get TB alignment issues

echo anson

drive with MAF unplugged

you can get a MAF from a non-VR6 motor from another MK3 (2.0L 4cyl)

.....the housing are different but the actual maf elements are the same,

DON T pull on the spark plug wires when you re gonna do the plugs....on your hood prop, there's gonna be a plastic tool attached to it (hopefully it s still there), that s you spark plug wire puller tool....you hook it onto the aprak plug side of the wire, twist to engage the end of the wire and pull with the tool...if you don t use the tool, you have a big change of breaking the wire

yea that tool is retarted. shit like this is the reason why i wont ever own a vw/audi. have to have a specific tool to get the dam spark plug wire off wtf?

yea that tool is retarted. shit like this is the reason why i wont ever own a vw/audi. have to have a specific tool to get the dam spark plug wire off wtf?

at least they provide the tool stock so you don t have to go to the dealer

I had gotten a metal one on ebay for my old VR6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-VR6-Spark-Plug-Wires-Removal-Tool-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f041ffddaQQitemZ270652145114QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

very useful

I know a few things about the vr6 :)....it s my favorite motor ever made (not the most powerful by a long shot but it s interesting with the V/inline arrangement and it sounds like chewbacca getting raped)

if it is the TB, try cleaning out the TB with brake cleaner or carb cleaner (preferably the former since it s a bit stronger)

some relevant reading

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4006021-Help-P1580-after-chip-fell-out-of-ECU

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/p1582/index.htm

Never have to use one. Long needle nose pliers. The tool is ghey.

A TB relearn fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Any timing chain rattle?