Tires from Dealer VS. DT/NTB?

truckin

jjxlr8 knows what he's talking about. Probably because he works for a automotive maker (just guessing from location and job). ;)

You will probably never see a generic off the shelf tire on a new car.

I will add that fuel economy is by far not the only reason vehicle makers pick custom tires. It's just been more of a focus lately, but it's still not the only criteria. They have to consider the whole package, grip, stability, dry and wet, noise, fuel economy, feel, etc.

Then basically everything about the car is designed around the tires. Brakes, steering, suspension, 4WD settings, VSA settings, etc. If you want your car to drive like it was designed to and like it did new, get the OEM tires. Sometimes that design concept or execution was bad so it won't matter, but most of the time there was a lot of thought put into it. It might be nitpicking sometimes, but it's the truth.

I've seen completely custom tires for a specific vehicle, like jjxl8r is talking about. I've also tires that are 'custom' but for multiple vehicles. If a tire maker can meet the vehicle makers needs with a tire they've already made for another vehicle, that will be cheaper and quicker to make than a brand new custom tire. I can't find it now, maybe tire rack doesn't have this info anymore. But you used to be able to see which vehicles an OEM tire was for. Some said only one car, other's said multiple (sometimes covering different car companies).

But here's the rub. Truckin, is that tire an OEM tire for your car?

While the OEM tire info is interesting, it might just be academic at this point. I can't find anything that says the tire he is looking at is the OEM tire.

Tire rack says the SEL FWD/AWD is 215/65/17 Continental ContiTouring Contact CT95, and the rest of the (higher end) models are 225/60/18 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons and Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus. No mention of the Yokohama avid trz's.

Tires are designed for specific vehicle applications in the OE market. Auto makers may tweak some suspension settings, but the tire maker carries the burden. If it were the other way around, you wouldn't have slightly different tires with the same name!

The reason I suggest going with a replacement market tire is that some important performance characteristics of the tires are sometimes sacrificed in the OE tire just to obtain the MPG number. People don't typically buy a car based on how short the wet stopping distance is or how many miles they will get out of the tires, but they do see a big fat MPG number when they look at the window sticker. 1 MPG is a big deal to automakers.

But here's the rub. Truckin, is that tire an OEM tire for your car?

While the OEM tire info is interesting, it might just be academic at this point. I can't find anything that says the tire he is looking at is the OEM tire.

Tire rack says the SEL FWD/AWD is 215/65/17 Continental ContiTouring Contact CT95, and the rest of the (higher end) models are 225/60/18 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons and Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus. No mention of the Yokohama avid trz's.

Just the size and the speed rating etc are the same as the OEM tires. The Oem tire on the car are Mich's 215/65/17. I was recommended the Yoko's and looked at some reviews with good feedback on them.

Just the size and the speed rating etc are the same as the OEM tires. The Oem tire on the car are Mich's 215/65/17. I was recommended the Yoko's and looked at some reviews with good feedback on them.

So that means that the OEM tire talk is good info for everyone, but in this case doesn't apply.