F.S. Male Rottweiler Needs a Home

RC K9

OK, I am not sure if this belongs here or not because really I am not going tomake any money on this, just passing along my expenses for his medical stuff but anyway, here it goes.

Alright, here is the deal. A little over a month ago I am out front and what do you know, this big Rottweiler is just wondering around the neighborhood. I call him over, stick him on a leash and take him to the vet to see if he has a microchip since there is no collar. Of course there is no microchip. So I decide to hang on to him and work with him on some training and then try to find him a good home. Here are some facts about him:

Sex-Male

Name- (given by my wife and I) Jax

Age-Aprx 2yrs old

Will have all shots and neutered before being given to new home

Training up to this point- all commands at the side (heel with auto sit, sit stay, down stay, sit from down, square off 90)

Temperament-strong willed but intelligent. Learns quickly.

Now, I have some rules for whoever takes this dog:

1.) No children

2.) No other dogs

3.) I need a copy of your homeowners declaration page as proof you have insurance that will cover this breed (I know which companies cover and which don’t)

4.) MUST have experience with powerful breed working style dogs OR exhibit a strong desire and ability to learn how to do so.

When I first got him he showed very bad food aggression towards people and other dogs. Through training and opening a line of communication with him I now approach him and tell him to back up while he is eating and he leaves immediately. My other dogs are around now while he eats and I haven’t seen him act aggressively towards them. But every new individual I have brought in during feeding time he has tried the same crap (stiff stance and growl) I correct him for it and show him that behavior is not acceptable with that person either, and it’s a non issue from that point. I have 3 other dogs and have worked diligently to ensure there is order among all of them. The reason I say “no children and no other dogs” is that most people out there do not have the experience, desire, or capacity to handle this dog the way he needs handled to overcome his current issues. He has come leaps and bounds since I first got him but still needs work. I just don’t have the space to keep him as I have 3 others right now.

The above is not meant to turn anyone off, but to be completely open. He is a great dog, just needs a home where there are clear and concise rules that WILL be enforced. This is for his benefit as well as the rest of the household.

Price-$175 (this is to cover my out of pocket cost of all his shots, heartworm prevention, and neutering). The $500 + in training he has received are compliments of RC K9.

Please let me know if you are interested in giving this guy a permanent home.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/Jax/IMG_3947.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/Jax/IMG_3946.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/Jax/IMG_3953.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/Jax/IMG_3952.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/Jax/IMG_3942.jpg

It's fine in this section.

On another note, I used to think we would never find a better dog than our Germain Shepard that died years ago until I picked up a Rott around 1996. She has been amazing with other pets and grandkid after grandkid (stays at my folks).

Great dogs.

I love those dogs. If i had a home with a backyard i would jump on this in a second but it would just be cruel to have a dog in an apt and keep him caged all day long. Goodluck.

He stays in a crate all day while I am at work and I don't have a big backyard. The belief that one needs a big fenced in yard for a dog to frolic and be gay in is a fallacy. I say this because one, a dog should never be left outside unsupervised for hours on end to entertain itself. This is a liability on many different fronts. Whether the dog decides to start diggin holes out of boredom, or escapes (which I see dogs do all the time) and a kid comes up and sticks its hands in the fence and the dog bites it, it's just not worth it. The second reason is that with a foundation of obedience, the dog doesn't just mindlessly wander around. You can work commands anywhere by making it a part of life and through working the dogs mind, the dog is going to get tired. I have tired many dogs out more doing a 15 minute obedience workout session in my basement than taking that same dog on a 20min high pace bike ride.

That being said, don't think that just becuse you don't have 10 acres you can't be a responsible dog owner. It's just not true.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have entertained the idea of having him as a pet in my home but you have to many restrictions.

Its restrictions like these that forced me to look away from adopting my female doberman and just purchasing her out right. Its been five years now and shes the best and most loved dog on the block.

GL because he sure is a good looking guy.

I may be open to saying eff it and loosening up the stipulations but whoever takes him is sigining a liability waiver freeing me from any backlash that may come from improper handling of the new owner. That being said if you want to check him out and talk further I am open to that.

Try putting him on Petfinder or seeing if R.E.A.L Rott Rescue would be willing to take him in.

Also, just a tip, don't go crazy on restrictions if you want to adopt out the dog. You might say "standard restrictions are (insert here), but they can be waived for the right person." I've rehabbed a few dogs that were suffering from severe malnutrition and every one showed pretty bad food aggression until they were worked with, it can be broken. Saying he should not be adopted out to a family with children or other dogs isn't really good unless he has tested negatively with both kids and dogs (multiple) (I don't think this is the case because you state he eats with your dogs). Search for a matched owner, not an owner that meets restrictions (they can still be bad).

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but those are just some suggestions about listing dogs for adoption.

Off topic: I would suggest using a choke along with the prong collar. I've seen prong collars break more than a couple times.

The restrictions are for my conscience. Would he be fine in a house with kids, sure, with someone who knows what they are doing. Most people don't. It only takes once for someone to not be paying attention, their 5yr old runs over to the food bowl and the dog snaps at the kid then goes to the hospital and it gets traced back to me. So now we have a kid that got bit, me looking bad for adopting out a dog that bit a kid, and another negative rep for a breed all because the dog went to someone who either isn't capable of handling the dog or just chose to let the rules slip. Aside from legal repercussions, how am I going to sleep at night if I see the story listed above on the news and know that I adopted the dog out to somone I wasn't 100% confident could handle the dog?

There really aren't a lot of restrictions either. The no kids and no other dogs are 2 restrictions. The home owners insurance are policies put in place by the companies, not me.

The 4th item isn't really a restriction. It's saying you need to have experience and if you don't at least demonstrate a legitimate desire to acquire some.

As for a rott resuce, if I can't find someone here to take him, that's who I will be contacting.

Also, a prong collar breaking? A dog should never be pulling hard enough on a prong collar for it to break. If it is put on properly and used properly and the handler is paying attention to the situation at hand, the dog should never get the opportunity to pull on one that hard.

Also, a prong collar breaking? A dog should never be pulling hard enough on a prong collar for it to break. If it is put on properly and used properly and the handler is paying attention to the situation at hand, the dog should never get the opportunity to pull on one that hard.

Yes, a prong collar breaking. The dog isn't pulling on the prong collar, you are. They simply weaken and I've seen both the chains and the prongs themselves break. I haven't had it happen to me personally (I always use both), but I have seen it first hand with some very experienced trainers. I get the feeling from the rest of your post, that you don't really come off your ideas too much, so I won't be clogging up a sale thread with anything else. Good luck with the adoption.

• 2 months later...

Bump. Need to get this guy on out of here. New Price-$0. Thats right, all his shots, neutering, and training are on the house. Just give this guy a good home. Only stipulation now is whoever adopts him needs to sign a waiver freeing me from any future liability for anything.

Thanks.

I've had my female Rott for about 5 years now. She's amazing. I've never owned a more loyal, more loving and intelligent dog. If there's anyone out there who's contemplating getting a dog, please know that a Rottweiler is a fantastic breed. Mine has become my best buddy. She's licking my feet as I write this. What a great buddy!

Good luck with finding an owner. I can't say enough about how happy I am to have my Rott.

Rotts are great dogs. I hope to get a puppy in the future to incorporate training from day one but that is years down the road.

I will try to make a vid with this guy to post up for anyone that's interested in seeing his obedience. I had him outside the dog park a few weeks ago in a dwon command while other people were getting drug into the park by their dogs. Yes, he maintained the down command until released.

• 1 month later...
Still sticking to the "No Kids" part? I have a 4yr old and a 6mo. old, and have had 2 Pits so far, both of which have done fabulous with them.. It's all about establishing who the 'pack leader' is. Not only that, but letting the dog know on a constant basis that if I'm the pack leader, all my people (family) are my property and above him in the pecking order. I did this with both of my Pit bulls and I had zero issues with them. Other than them dying lol. The dogs that is.

Still sticking to the "No Kids" part? I have a 4yr old and a 6mo. old, and have had 2 Pits so far, both of which have done fabulous with them.. It's all about establishing who the 'pack leader' is. Not only that, but letting the dog know on a constant basis that if I'm the pack leader, all my people (family) are my property and above him in the pecking order. I did this with both of my Pit bulls and I had zero issues with them. Other than them dying lol. The dogs that is.

I'll entertain the idea. Let me know if you want to see him.