93 civic Lx

Tindall2006

Ok, so I am checking out this civic for my neighbors. Not sure what engine but autozone only shows a 1.5 and a 1.6 for this car.

The CEL is on, and I pulled the codes to get number 22 and 21. A little checking around leads me to believe these codes are for the V tec Solenoid Valve, and the V tech pressure valve. The problem I see is I really don't think this engine is V tech (miss emblems and I don't see anything that looks like the solenoid valve on the head.)

Any advice?

The 21 & 22 are not valid codes for a D15B7 motor. May want to check the flashes again just to make sure those are the correct codes.

Code 21

92-95 Civic

93-95 Prelude

94+ Integra

VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve

* invalid code for non-VTEC engine

** invalid for V6 engine

Code 22

92-98 Civic

93-98 Prelude

94+ Integra

VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch

* invalid code for non-VTEC engine

on the left hand side of the block right by the slave cylinder (if manual) will be an engine code please list this. behind the passenger kick panel the ecu resides there in the middle of the code there are 3 digits (P28, P06, PR4, etc) please list those as well.

Please list any info your neighbor might have done to the car. if vtec swapped he might not have wired it to the ecu correctly. here is a correct diagram

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg

we will need alot more info to go off of.

without knowing much about the actual car, I m inclined to agree with ef8sirJunkie

I m gonna assume from the given data that it s a non-VTEC motor being run by a VTEC ecu, which probably means the original ecu of the D15B7 (which I assume the motor is unless otherwise stated) failed at one point and was replaced with a VTEC ecu....but I don t know for sure if that would be working

take pictures of the ECU codes and the engine block code..........they should be pretty visible. The latter is stamped and easy to spot and the part number on the ECU should be easy to check.....

I will have to do this. It is also shifting funny. Dose the ECU control the tranny too? I know in DSM's there is a separate one.

I found out from my neighbor that the transmission was fine, then somebody changed a computer chip in the car (i'm assuming ECU) then it started shifting weird. Basically it has trouble getting into the next gear and slipping a bunch.

I will have to check the codes, thanks for the advice! I am really thinking the wrong ECU as I have experience pulling codes like this and I am sure I read the flashes correctly.

Anyone have a link for a FSM?

ecu will not effect shifting if its a manual some cars it will if automatic. need more info on the car and set up.

Motor- ?

Head- ?

ECU- ?

Transmission- ?

has there been any wiring done to car- ?

Please open ecu and take a picture and post it for me to see. i will be able to tell you if its chipped or not.

I know this car is stock, original motor and everything. If the ECU is not the correct one it is because some moron installed the wrong one. The car is a auto and a diffrent ecu could cause the shifting problem?

I have been sick, not going to be working on this thing till probably this weekend.

Thanks though!

most chipped ecu's do not work with auto cars. basicly because mainly civics do not have an external tcu! some integra's accords and preludes do. my guess is the ecu and transmission are incompatible. try another automatic ecu is it vtec or not ? if its not vtec that p06 stated above would work.