GF just bought 07 Cobalt SS 2.4 Auto - What to look for?

spankis

So my girlfriend just bought this car, it's an 07 Cobalt SS coupe, the non-supercharged or turbocharged 2.4L model, with the automatic.

It has 55k on it, and new tires, front brakes, oil just changed by dealer, etc.

I'll be doing the maintenance on it, and I'm just wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for or take care of that these cars are known for. It seems well taken care of aside from some curbed wheels. I read that the transmission should be flushed at 60k under "severe" duty, such as heavy stop and go or frequent temps over 90 degrees.

Any GM techs or cobalt owners have any input?

Thanks

i'm not joking when I say at 50k you should worry about

leaking/blown front struts

leaking/blown rear shocks

front sway bar links(noisy over bumper)

front strut mounts(noisy)

Well yes and no, the struts all seep a little and this would be normal, however most of them do go bad relatively quick and I have warrantied out a few. The bushings in the front lower control arms will go bad. The drivelines are pretty solid otherwise, and the cars do exhibit quite a bit of squeaks and rattles over time mostly in the column and power steering.

I like the cars enough to own one, the engine and trans will run for a long time if maintained.

Thanks guys, that all helps. It's an 07 so it still has warranty through 100k miles I guess, but has had the power steering recall done.

I'll look over the suspension when I do its first oil change, as it definitely felt firm but not real harsh or noisy. I just figured I was feeling the firmer SS damping, and its NOTHING like how my damn car rides.