Big Darby Creek Shooting Range update

Mark1647545493

I spoke with Pete (owner/operator) yesterday and he informed me that even if they win the court battle with Battelle and the range reopens he thinks that Battelle will keep up their shenanigans causing the range to close again and make him go broke in the process. He is currently moving his Gun Shop from the shooting range to a store front on Main St. in West Jefferson. The Shop on Main St. will be open in about 2 weeks.

Not sure what his plan is for people that had memberships to the range, but I'm sure he'll make it right for everyone.

If you guys need any ammo, mags, accessories or guns please go see Pete and help support a small town Gun Shop that needs ever bit of help they can get right now.

Why is Battelle trying to shut him down?

In a nutshell Battelle wanted/did build underground storage for high explosive materials about 1/3 mile away from the backside of the backdrops in the same field as the range.

Battelle wants, Battelle gets............ by any means necessary.

If the people living in and around West Jeff knew what was going on at Battelle they would all shit themselves. I wish I had researched it more before moving out here.

Battelle also stores nuclear waste somewhere near there as well. I wonder if majority of the residence in West Jeff knows about that.

When the West Jeff Battellle opened in 1954 it was the first privately owned neuclear reactor in the country. It has since been decommissioned (so they say) and is now more of a biological weapons test facility. Opps I can't call it that.. lol but in reality that's one of the many things they do there.

This is an interesting read..... Granted it happened 8 years ago still it happened and worse things could happen just as easy as this did.

http://www.battelle.org/SPOTLIGHT/news_archives/archive_02/10-08-02Investigation.aspx

BATTELLE COMPLETES INVESTIGATION OF AUGUST 11 WEST JEFFERSON ACCIDENT

Battelle announced today that it has completed its investigation of the August 11 accident at the High Energy Research Laboratory Area near West Jefferson, Ohio. The accident seriously injured two Battelle staff members, who have been released from their respective hospitals and are recovering.

The two Battelle staff members, Thomas Burky and James Gombarcik, were working on an internal research and development project in the defense area when an explosion occurred in the High Energy Research Laboratory-a facility specifically designed for explosives testing.

The investigation has determined that the cause of the accident was an unintentional ignition of energetic materials, most likely as a result of an electrostatic discharge.

The investigation also found the manager and staff members associated with the project exhibited the intent to work safely and efficiently, and recognized (as reflected in the Safety Plan) that electrostatic discharge was the primary hazard. At the same time, the probe indicated that some changes in standard operating and change management procedures could reduce the possibility of similar occurrences.

The investigation also determined that there was no environmental impact from the explosion to the surrounding community.

"We are disappointed that this accident occurred because Battelle has prided itself on a strong environment, safety and health record," said Frank Hood, Battelle Vice President for Environment, Safety and Health. "We are taking immediate action to improve safety at the High Energy Research Laboratory, including an action plan to implement process and safety improvements for research work and to closely track completion. Most important, we are very pleased that Tom Burky and Jim Gombarcik are recovering well from this most unfortunate accident."

Members of the investigative team included: Hood, Dr. Kelly Beierschmitt, Director, Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality at Oak Ridge National Laboratory; Dr. Michael Fisher, Senior Research Scientist at Battelle; Dr. Michael Duffy, Research Leader, Environment, Safety and Health and Safeguards Analysis at Battelle; and Don Cagle, Manager, Environment Safety and Health Operations at Battelle.

Battelle serves industry and government in the areas of technology development, laboratory management, and technology commercialization. Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Battelle has annual revenues of $1 billion, has operations at more than 100 locations and clients in 30 countries. It counts as its successes the development of the office copier machine (Xerox), pioneering work on the compact disc, medical technology breakthroughs, and fiber optic advancements for telecommunications.

I have a buddy who is a pathologist for Battelle. I asked him what kind of stuff they test and he told me "well, I am not allowed to tell you, but even if I was, you don't want to know"

Battelle also stores nuclear waste somewhere near there as well. I wonder if majority of the residence in West Jeff knows about that.

http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Portals/0-Articles/11818/steve_meier.jpg?width=170&height=112

I've never even heard of Batelle. Of course, I don't live there, but I'd still thought I would have heard of it. Hmm...

Battelle West Jefferson consists of the following according to their website

* Battelle Biomedical Research Center

* Gasification Laboratories

* Hazardous Materials Research Center

* High Energy Research Laboratory

* Pipeline Research Facilities

Sounds like Black Mesa.