small electronic repair people (camera)

evan9381

wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on this

last month, grabbed my camera (canon S5 IS) from the counter, and saw what looked like something had been spilled, but it was only on/around the battery cover. when i opened it up, whatever it was made it maybe ~1/2" up the "tubes" where the batteries sit, but it was ALL OVER the door where the metal pieces connect the batteries together...with newly charged batteries, i got about 3-4 shots and it said to change the batteries...brand new batteries, same thing...i have no clue what got spilled on it, but the only way i can really explain what it seemed like, was the glazing on a donut, the stuff that flakes off.

i took it to cord camera, which theres a repair shop next door, but they said it'd be at least $135 to crack it open...the guy at cord was saying it looks like corrosion on the plastic, and that it probably made it up to the circuit board...when i wipe the stuff away, the plastic pieces look fine

i was able to get quite a bit off with just a firm bristled brush that came with my clippers, and a lightly wetted q-tip (didnt get it anywhere near where water could have seeped into anything) but there was still some left...i took the battery door apart, and the under side of the metal tab is badly corroded.

what are the chances that the corroded metal tab on the battery door could be the only problem and not allowing the battery juice to get to the camera? the screen does fire up for 2-3 seconds with the note "replace batteries", then shuts down. i found a replacement battery door on ebay for <$20, and $20 sounds A LOT better than paying $135 to crack open a camera that 2 years ago only cost $325, and are going on ebay now for <$200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-S5-Battery-Cover-Free-Ship-/370439277284?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item563fe6cae4

ill see if i can get a clear-ish pic with my cell phone of the battery door

shows the other tab that wasnt covered in whatever spilled...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG0887.jpg

the corroded tab top/bottom

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG0888.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG0889.jpg

kinda shows residue of what was on the battery door, but most of it is gone

and shit, i cant believe those pics came out that clear from my phone. lol

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG0890.jpg

If you got anything on the circut board and its been sitting there corroding, you could be screwed.

with that being said. I would take some de-ionized water to clean up the metel peices, and a little isoproply alchohol after its all dried. (to dry the metal peices and prevent more corosion, try putting the pieces in a some tupperware with rice covering the pieces)

I have repaired a few digital items this way.. and the S5IS is a decent enough camera to not totall call it quits.

THere is a BETTER camera reapir guy in columbus, but ill have to do some digging to find his name/number.

Also, the guys at MidWest Photo on High would be the guys i would talk to. They know some pretty good repair shops, and i think the one they reccomended to me was United Camera in Illinois, but there was someone local as well..

So, new battery door came in today, got it replaced, fired it up, seemed to be fine

Then after about 25 pictures, battery light came on and said to change the batteries..ugh

I guess i dont have much to lose to crack this thing open and see if i can find a board with corrosion on it..

Pissed though...i liked this camera

oh...i see what you're saying. but no, i didnt. i got a small light down there and they look fine. still shiny and doesnt look like any corrosion

but just to update, i did some googling, and some people said they had issues with the batteries they were using

i had thrown el cheapo eveready batteries in that i had here at the house, and got about 10 pics before it shut down...put my old energizer rechargables in it, and it wouldnt even turn on...odd. i know they've gotta have at least enough juice to fire it up

on my way home from the gym i stopped at CVS and got some duracell 2450 mAh rechargables, put them on the charger when i got home, and just now (about 6 hours charged, i popped them in, took about 90 pics, about 70 with flash to try to use as much power as i could, and i havent gotten the "change battery" thing come up

hopefully its fixed. maybe tomorrow ill take it out and see how many pics i can get