Fiat 500

zeitgeist57

1) The MultiAir engine technology sounds cool, but I see problems if the hydraulic passageways get clogged or the solenoid is faulty.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/fiat_s_multiair_valve-lift_system_explained-tech_dept

2) Build your own...starts at $15,500.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/fiat_s_multiair_valve-lift_system_explained-tech_dept

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/build_your_own.html

3) Mini Cooper or Fiat 500?

The only reason I like the new 500 is when I was in Sicily a few years ago for a wedding I rented a Lancia Ypsilon with a 1.3L MultiJet diesel engine and was surprisingly pleased with the car...this could be a cool DD, especially for the price.

I'd drive one. I just built one to my liking for $17,400. I've driven my step mom's Daihatsu Sirion 1.3L and it was very fun to drive, and it get's awesome gas mileage (40+mpg). I would take the 500 over the Mini, especially if I could get the Abarth 500.

Keep Dreaming.

2012-13 Is when we're expected to get the Abarth SS.

I'm hoping to be able to move from Bob-Boyd Lincoln/Mercury to the new Fiat dealership (Bob-Boyd Fiat of Columbus perhaps?) next year. See you all there for test drives :D.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Mini with someone else's money after how BMW is treating their Mini customers with fuel pump issues.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Mini with someone else's money after how BMW is treating their Mini customers with fuel pump issues.

We get a complimentary transferrable 10 year parts/labor warranty on it as of a couple months ago. Mailed some documentation to all owners

The Multi-Air valvetrain is extremely trick and I don't think it's as fragile as a few people seem to think. My impression is that if a solenoid fails your engine will keep running, just not at an optimal lift, duration, or timing. In other words, even if it fails, you're not going to get stranded anywhere, your car will still be 100% drivable.

I had wondered about a blockage, or contamination in the passages too, but it's probably about as likely as a clogged injector. Maybe that's a higher mileage maintenance item.

Personally, I sat in one with some nice, red leather 'sport' seats that was pretty comfortable, but the base seats suck. The 500 felt smaller than a Mini to me too, so I don't think that's a direct comparison. The Alfa MiTo felt more like the size of the Mini, and that's the one I would buy, if it were available (MiTo GTA). At that price I think I would be swayed to a Chevy Cruze because it's larger, nicer interior, better stereo, and still gets upper 30's-40 mpg.