DVD Rip

gmann

Who uses what? I have DVD shrink to rip the DVD's and Nero to burn to new discs. Just recently I've come up with some error when using Nero trying to analyze the files that DVD shrink made of the disc causing Nero to close. I'm not sure why it's happening all of the sudden but I'm thinking my software just isn't up to par anymore with the new copyright infringement stuff (since I've not done this in a while) and wanted to see what you guys were using nowadays.

I have DVD shrink 3.2 (this IS up to date) and Nero 6 ultimate (this is not).

Honestly I would get rid of the middle man and just keep everything in a digital format and stream from computer to xbox, ps3, or media server. It is super easy and will save you a TON of time and money in the long run.......or netflix, haha

Honestly I would get rid of the middle man and just keep everything in a digital format and stream from computer to xbox, ps3, or media server. It is super easy and will save you a TON of time and money in the long run.......or netflix, haha

I'm old school and like a physical copy... I've also had too many HDD failures to count on them, until they come out with 1TB solid state drives that won't break the bank... But then again part of the reason is because I don't know of a good software to be able to rip the media into a file that is readable by my computer or PS3.

Patterson, it can't be the burner. The analyzing happens before the blank disc is put into the drive and the analyzing is where I ran into the error.

If the drive is going bad, it will have read and write errors. Completely possible.

Not during reading or writing. It is while the files are on the computer already and being analyzed (converted) into a file that can be written onto the disc, I'm confident it is in the software. But I will be getting another DVD writer to try that one, and to possibly simultaneously rip/burn and avoid the issue of putting the media onto my hard drive.

I'm gona try DVD Decrypter and see if that solves the issue before I pop this new writer in though.

Who uses what?...and Nero 6 ultimate.

I actually do my ripping in a couple of steps...

1. On my Windows box, use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema to find out which title the movie is contained in (there are a lot of disks out there that have totally fucked up TOC's and structures now... not all rippers make the correct choice when set to auto-rip mode).

2. Switch over to my Linux system and use dvd::rip to grab the VOBs.

3. If I just want to have it saved on my server, that's as far as I go. If I need a physical disk, I go back to Windows (cause that system's got a much stronger CPU) and use HandBrake to convert to MPEG4 in a Matroska container, highest quality. Compress (if needed) and burn with Nero 10.

Nero 6 is a problem... Ahead either screwed something up in one of their very last patches for it, or there's a subtle bug in how it interacts with Windows Vista or Windows 7. I dunno how many coasters N6U turned out on me before I finally upgraded.

DVD Shrink to compress DVD's.

AnyDVD HD for anything DVD Shrink can't rip on its own.

I don't burn much in DVD's anymore...pointless when you can burn Blu-ray instead. I use BD Rebuilder for my Blu-ray compression, IMGburn for disc burning, and AnyDVD HD for ripping (plus all the associated programs needed for BD Rebuilder, such as AVI Synth, FFDshow, etc.).

Threadjack.... are you giving them RAWs, JPGs, or something else?

Just one set of full resolution jpegs and a folder with internet ready jpgs. the internet ready folder is a very small < 50mb typically.

I'm upgrading my primary camera to a 5DmkII in a few weeks so I'm going to have to rethink what I give clients. 21Mpix is gonna be hell on the storage space. I'm thinking I might start giving jpegs with max res set for 8x10 or 11x14 photos.