School Me on Laptop Processors

Dr. Pomade

I'm planning on purchasing a new laptop. The laptop I like has a Core i3 processor. Will that processor be "fast" enough for me? Here's what I use my laptop for:

- work stuff - lots and lots of word processing

- surfing the Internet

- and that's about it. No gaming, no video editing, none of that.

My current laptop has an AMD Turion processor. I would rate is as "meh."

So, will I be satisfied with the Core i3 or should I go with a Core i7?

Also, while I'm at it, what are your thoughts on Intel versus AMD processors?

Thanks, and sorry if I butchered any of the technical language.

i3 is fine for no gaming. As for your other question I have used Intel my whole life with the exception of my last desktop running amd athlon 64. I have replaced everything, motherboard, RAM, PSU, video card, and the bitch still won't install and flavor of windows vista. It also won't install any flavor of windows 7 32bit or 64bit. It locks up in the same exact spot on each install at 1% of installing the files to the hard drive. I will never buy an AMD again.

AMD has never been any good at mobile platforms. I have a Turion laptop, and it gets the job done, but just barely. Intel stuff also tends to run cooler and have a longer battery life. An i3 machine would probably do you just fine, but I would go for an i7 if you want something that will last a while.

AMD has never been any good at mobile platforms. I have a Turion laptop, and it gets the job done, but just barely. Intel stuff also tends to run cooler and have a longer battery life. An i3 machine would probably do you just fine, but I would go for an i7 if you want something that will last a while.

Can you qualify what you mean by last a while?

I use my laptop, on average, 8 to 10 hours per day, every single day. I'd like for it last for at least three years. (I think three years is reasonable with expectations on the life of a laptop, right?) I don't mind paying more for something that's going to last longer. Also, I don't mind paying more for something that improves my quality of life. Since much of my live revolves around my laptop, I look at it as an investment and therefore don't mind paying more.

Guest 614Streets

I too am not very computer smart and I just bought a new Toshiba satellite laptop at best buy 2 weeks ago with an i3 processor.

I am not happy with my Toshiba as not only did it come with a barage of junk installed but also the video and sound distort. The sound coming from the speakers actaully cuts out if you move the lap top while a video or music is playing.

My Compaq before this was pretty solid.

I too am not very computer smart and I just bought a new Toshiba satellite laptop at best buy 2 weeks ago with an i3 processor.

I am not happy with my Toshiba as not only did it come with a barage of junk installed but also the video and sound distort. The sound coming from the speakers actaully cuts out if you move the lap top while a video or music is playing.

My Compaq before this was pretty solid.

That's discouraging, because the Toshiba Satellite's are laptops that are on my short list. They got good reviews on Consumer Reports. So both the sound and video on yours is junky? Also, did you have Best Buy set up your laptop for you - like do the recovery disks or whatever?

Question for everyone: should I not care what Consumer Reports has to say about things? I thought they are reputable.

Guest 614Streets
That's discouraging, because the Toshiba Satellite's are laptops that are on my short list. They got good reviews on Consumer Reports. So both the sound and video on yours is junky? Also, did you have Best Buy set up your laptop for you - like do the recovery disks or whatever?

Question for everyone: should I not care what Consumer Reports has to say about things? I thought they are reputable.

I bought the a665 unit and did not pay best buy the additional $100 to remove the spamware etc on the computer.

The video distorts with about 10% of the videos I have watched on youtube with the videos not able to be seen. The sound distorts similar to the distortion one would get by stopping a record from spinning.This happens when the laptop is moved when a video is playing. The sound issue is 100% anytime music or video plays regardless of what it is as long as the laptop is moved.

If I could return and rebuy I would look more closely at the compaq units , but I have no advise to give with thoose new units.

Unfortunately Tilley, the reality of the situation is unless you buy a Mac, all of the laptops you are going to buy are going to be loaded with crap from the factory.

That's about lame.

I really don't want to switch to a Mac, but I feel like it's an inevitability.

There is no reason to spend 2-3x as much for a Mac laptop. Snow Leopard is total shit anyway.

What you get really depends on what you want to spend. You might be better off money versus use wise to buy a off-lease business laptop. You can get a decently specked one, 15-17" screen, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, couple gigs of ram, for $300-400. Will likely function just fine for you for 3 years, then you can likely sell it for $150-250 then. I'm looking for a laptop for my wife, with needs similar to yours (web surfing, logging into her remote desktop, Office Suite stuff, mini-game playing, etc), I've budgeted $300 and have found a number of laptops that will work great, most in mint or near mint condition.

If you want brand new and don't mind spending some dough, then I would go i5 or i7. Go test drive some laptops at Microcenter, Best Buy, etc. then find the best price online for whatever you like.

I would personally avoid AMD. Intel has really just flew by them the past few years, and now only the cheap stuff comes with AMD in it.

I've got an HP laptop that I bought with tax rebate money almost three years ago for ~$1,000, with an AMD dual core Turion, and it's been flawless except for the battery going to shit since I always leave it plugged in and on. I NEVER shut it off unless I'm taking it somewhere, and I use it every day, and it works great. It plays DOOM 3 like a champ, so as far as I'm concerned its way more powerful than it needs to be. When I first got it, it had Vista on it and after a short while starting running REALLY hot. I eventually installed Win7 and now it runs nice and cool.

If you aren't gaming it, and you aren't, then don't worry about having the fastest processor, a 2.0+ dual core should be a minimum but will do you fine. Worry about the quality of the rest of the thing. HP/Compaq make very nice laptops, start there, and don't worry so much about who makes the processor so long as whatever you demo runs fast enough for your liking, which should be anything in the store, even the little Atoms.

I've had my laptop for 7yrs! lol Not that I wouldn't want a new one, there's just always something that needs money thrown at it. And hey, I"m using it right now, so... Besides, you don't want what I have now.

Anyway, I've actually heard alot of good things about Toshiba. If yours is having that many probs, take it back. No brand is always %100.

I don't really have much to add since I believe everyone's covered most of it. :)

AMD has never been any good at anything.

fixed

I have a Toshiba with the i3 in it and it has worked flawlessly for me. My dad has had 3 satellites in a row. So this making the fourth for the family and every one has been super reliable. Before I got this toshiba i'm on now (got it back in july) I was using a 5 year old satellite with out any problems. So my vote is go for the Toshiba no matter what processor you pick