So, camera destroyed...

nurkvinny

Looking for best ~$150 digital camera.

Had the Nikon Coolpix S50 and was very happy with it, but thought I would ask suggestions since there are a lot of camera topics here. 99% of pics will be of the kids. Not really into photography really, just in capturing kid memories in large enough resolution to get good prints made.

Thanks.

You gonna tell us how you broke it?

Believe me, I had nothing to do with it.

Our fill-in sitter left a plug-in air freshener upside-down on the counter right beside the camera. The smell-goods inside leaked out, incased the camera, and literally melted the fucking sides off of it, found its way inside the main case and onto the battery pack and memory card, and under the screen.

I have it sitting in a bowl of uncooked rice, but I am not counting on it surviving.

WOW. About any P&S camera is great these days. The big thing would be good optical zoom rather than digital zoom. Digital zoom will cut image quality due to the digital enlarging process.

Next I'd look for one that functions the way you like. If you used to the Nikon menu system then stay with Nikon and it will be easier to pick up a new model and know what your doing.

WOW. About any P&S camera is great these days. The big thing would be good optical zoom rather than digital zoom. Digital zoom will cut image quality due to the digital enlarging process.

Next I'd look for one that functions the way you like. If you used to the Nikon menu system then stay with Nikon and it will be easier to pick up a new model and know what your doing.

^^ this.

Good start. Consider them for a few bucks more. You won't regret it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87279

we have a sony cybershot that cost around that much---great camera, very simple to use, and we use it for the exact same purpose you do. we also have a 'flip video' recorder that i would highly, highly recommend. makes taking quick videos of the kids very easy, and you can email them to your family/friends with incredible ease, as it has a built-in jump drive and is insanely easy to use

Best advice I ever got was when I was told to pony up and get a D-SLR... remember you only have one chance to capture the memory of your kids... I want a camera that will take the picture everytime in focus and be good quality.

Well, got a Nikon S8100 yesterday. EXTREMELY impressed. Took 40+ pics at kid's 2-year old birthday party yesterday 10 minutes after taking it out of the box.

No adjustments, no tweaking... every single pic was awesome.

1080p video is smooooooooth and crisp through the HDMI out.

Very happy the old one got destroyed.

Well, got a Nikon S8100 yesterday. EXTREMELY impressed. Took 40+ pics at kid's 2-year old birthday party yesterday 10 minutes after taking it out of the box.

No adjustments, no tweaking... every single pic was awesome.

1080p video is smooooooooth and crisp through the HDMI out.

Very happy the old one got destroyed.

:thumbup:

Best advice I ever got was when I was told to pony up and get a D-SLR... remember you only have one chance to capture the memory of your kids... I want a camera that will take the picture everytime in focus and be good quality.

I disagree. "The best camera is the one you have on you.". I NEVER use my D60 anymore. It's just too big and bulky. It's easier to grab my compact P&S or just use my iPhone.