LSx guru's

dover

What are some of the capabilities of a stroked 408 with worked LS3 heads.

Mods being:

victor JR style intake

102mm throttle body from nick williams

eagle crank

eagle h beam rods

Probe forged dished pistons

all arp head studs, rod bolts and main bolts

clevite bearings

High volume melling oil pump

comp cam 238-248, 586-596

All new lifters and double valve springs and hardened push rods

piston rings are total seal moly

80lbs injectors

fast fuel rails

...Also has an F1A Twin Intercooled Procharger kit

I just need to know pro's and con's. And what kind of power the car should make with this setup. Is the motor setup well? (I didn't say built, I am asking if the parts listed equate to a solid stout motor)

Car would only 99% of the time see pump gas/E85 and low boost.

My 6.0l with a similar bottom end, good heads and cam, and a stock truck intake with a 76mm turbo made 62xhp/64xtq @ 15psi. That was through an 80e with 4x4, so it's more like 30% dt loss instead of 20% in a car. We stopped there because of alternator problems, and I haven't had a chance to get the tuning finished, but there is more in it. Mine is a dd on 8.5-9psi most of the time without a hiccup so far.

That engine has more cubes, and better heads, so the power just goes up from there. The only thing I see that would be a con is that cam is not perfect for fi, but it would sound awesome, so you could probably crank up the blower a little to make up for all that overlap.

I guess it also depends on what you consider low/high boost is.

Biggest problem on boosted LSx engines is burning #7. The vic jr might help that according to some. Whats the rest of the fuel system?

I read the same thing on LS1 tech. I also heard with the higher hp levels ie above 700 the ls3/l92 heads were having problems holding high boost. They were pushing water and or lifting the heads. The ls3 is virtually the same block as an ls9. The ls9 makes what 650 hp so I will go with what I said earlier you should be good for 600hp easy. I have read that people were making 900 to 1000hp on this block but that seems like alot of power for an aluminum block. May be just me though.

I have burnt #7. Some think that the LSx designed intakes feed #7 the most air because it is the last in line. Air hits the back wall of the intake and shoots straight to 7. This extra air in the cylinder will cause 7 to go lean and burn. There is also thoughts that the steam crossover tube running from head to head in the rear (or lack thereof) is also an issue. Early LS1's with the LS1 intake had front and rear crossover tubes, however the LS6 intake won't allow for the tube to run forward under the intake. I am running a shit ton of meth and am crossing my fingers that the meth will fill 7 just like the extra air.

iirc you dont need an iron block unless you are making insane boost. the only reason people go with lq4/lq9 are a few added cubes and they are cheap as dirt compared to ls1's. a side effect is you get an iron block, but the pistons, rods/rod bolts would grenade far before the block is even close to its limit.