Coolant Leak on B7 A4 - common?

Nitrousbird

Wife's 06 A4 2.0T Auto.

Went into the garage this morning (wife already left for work), noticed a wet spot on the garage floor. Sure enough, orange coolant on the ground. Towards the front driver's side of the motor.

I haven't looked at the car yet, and it is still under the CPO warranty, so I probably won't look at it at all. I told her to call the dealer ASAP and make an appointment. Is this a common problem with these motors? Her car was just in for service a month ago (did coil pack recall and an oil change, as she gets the oil change for about what it would cost me to do it myself).

My dad's passat started leaking antifreeze earlier this year, turned out there were little tiny cracks in the coolant reservoir. I replaced that and it fixed the problem. It was kind of hard to find out were it was leaking from though, it was spraying on the motor so it looked like it might be coming from a hose, until i got it heated up and saw it spraying out of the coolant bottle.

My B7 A4 had 1 problem when I had it, a small coolant leak. I was told there was a coolant nipple on the block that was leaking. Replaced under warranty.

This maybe?

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1997019

They say you can see the coolant residue by some flange that's the problem.

[/img]

That is probably what was replaced on mine.

Could be 1 of about a million things on an A4. Look for the pink crusties, that will show you where. Or just take it in and let them deal with it. Good luck. OH and to answer your question, yes, too common in fact. One of the things you look for on a VAG car when it comes in for service specifically.

water outlet is plastic on those they crack all the time byers imports keeps them in stock you'll also need to get a couple of the plastic horeshoe clips that hold the temp sensors in as they almost always break when you pull them out

I don't need anything. :) MAG needs to have them in stock though.

time to trade it in sounds like.

Nope, still under warranty. :) Plus she loves this car; I think the only thing she would want to replace it with is a B8 A4/S4.

I don't need anything. :) MAG needs to have them in stock though.

Nope, still under warranty. :) Plus she loves this car; I think the only thing she would want to replace it with is a B8 A4/S4.

You need to have the cam follower checked before warranty is up.

Fair warning.

:)

You need to have the cam follower checked before warranty is up.

Fair warning.

:)

Agreed, especially if you haven't replaced it yet.

We are doing every 30k on my dad's GTI. $43 at Hatfield with the Ohiovw discount, and takes about 30 min to replace.

Agreed, especially if you haven't replaced it yet.

We are doing every 30k on my dad's GTI. $43 at Hatfield with the Ohiovw discount, and takes about 30 min to replace.

I'm doing it every 15k at this point (APR PUMP).

Agreed, very straight forward, easy job.

I'm doing it every 15k at this point (APR PUMP).

Agreed, very straight forward, easy job.

We will be monitoring it more frequently for sure, but at 30k, it was in decent shape. The outer coating was worn, but not down to the silver metal. His is stock, and will likely be at least until the warranty runs out at 60k.

They replaced the O-ring. Took them for freaking ever to do it (1PM to 7PM), and that's with them giving multiple wrong estimates of when it would be done, so we got to spend an hour sitting in the dealer. At least got to hear them start up and move the DBS that was in the showroom. :)

They replaced the O-ring. Took them for freaking ever to do it (1PM to 7PM), and that's with them giving multiple wrong estimates of when it would be done, so we got to spend an hour sitting in the dealer. At least got to hear them start up and move the DBS that was in the showroom. :)

Yeah, they are really bad on time estimates I've noticed, they probly were just as bad when I worked there but I wasn't an advisor at the time. When I had my front suspension done their it took them 3 days. They kept saying the next day.