Header Opinions

Turbotrio

We are direct with all the "Higher End" header companies like Kooks, American Racing, Stainless Works, Borla, B&B, DynaTech, etc etc. However, I am looking to go direct with one of the cheaper brands for those that don't have $1k+ to spend on headers and am currently on the fence.

What would you rather have -- a mild steel PaceSetter that is USA-made and fits good or a China-made OBX-type product that is stainless but might not be as great in the "Fit and Finish" department? Is it just, "Whatever is cheapest" or if both of the above options were the same price what do you prefer?

Thanks for the feed-back,

Jeff

Jeff, I just called you on this last week.

This just happened to me on my new daily driver. Previous owner put an Ebay header on and it was weak metal/shit. The flex pipe cracked in a few places, so I found myself with a loud annoying exhaust leak.

Point is, no way was I wanting something that wasn't high quality. For me, stock parts to replace were $1500. After market performance, high quality parts, $500. No brainer.

So that puts me middle range price wise, to what is being asked. But I would have paid more for the right part. I would say, have a good range, but only carry something that is quality. It's a headache for you down the road if it fails. If the comapny that made my head was still in business, I would be all over them on this piece of shit hunk of metal.

Quality always wins the arguement.

Edited by Mojoe
was suppose to say "wasn't" High quality

Jeff, I just called you on this last week.

This just happened to me on my new daily driver. Previous owner put an Ebay header on and it was weak metal/shit. The flex pipe cracked in a few places, so I found myself with a loud annoying exhaust leak.

Point is, no way was I wanting something that was high quality. For me, stock parts to replace were $1500. After market performance, high quality parts, $500. No brainer.

So that puts me middle range price wise, to what is being asked. But I would have paid more for the right part. I would say, have a good range, but only carry something that is quality. It's a headache for you down the road if it fails. If the comapny that made my head was still in business, I would be all over them on this piece of shit hunk of metal.

Quality always wins the arguement.

Agree.

I'd rather have good quality parts made of lower end materials than questionable quality parts made of "better" materials.

If I really need the better materials I just need to save more or bust out the Credit Card.

I have the pacesetters on one of my grand prixs. They've been on there for over a year and seem to be holding up fine, but still that's not very long. Didn't really have any fit issues. There wasn't a port for the EGR, if i wanted to use it, and I had to re-locate the O2 sensor which presented some problems.

Agree.

I'd rather have good quality parts made of lower end materials than questionable quality parts made of "better" materials.

If I really need the better materials I just need to save more or bust out the Credit Card.

Please see my edit. I only wanted a high quality part.

why not both?

Basically because we are trying to stream-line our inventory better. I would rather have the absolute best price on Kooks because we place $25k orders instead of saying we do "OK" on Kooks because we also have $5k of American Racing in stock and $5k of Stainless Works etc etc.

Same thing here. Pace Setter wants $10k for stocking inventory and I don't want to do that as well as whatever OBX or whoever else wants and then be stuck "Pushing" one or the other based entirely on what we have on the shelf instead of what may or may not be better.

I would ideally like to stock one expensive/higher-quality line and one cheaper/lower-quality line to fit different peoples budgets.

Jeff

Basically because we are trying to stream-line our inventory better. I would rather have the absolute best price on Kooks because we place $25k orders instead of saying we do "OK" on Kooks because we also have $5k of American Racing in stock and $5k of Stainless Works etc etc.

Same thing here. Pace Setter wants $10k for stocking inventory and I don't want to do that as well as whatever OBX or whoever else wants and then be stuck "Pushing" one or the other based entirely on what we have on the shelf instead of what may or may not be better.

I would ideally like to stock one expensive/higher-quality line and one cheaper/lower-quality line to fit different peoples budgets.

Jeff

kooks:mad:

I have Kooks on the FI camaro and they are holding up very well being stainless. I have pacesetters on my trans am because they are a tad smaller and 1/3 the price. They dont look near as good and came ceramic coated and it wore off the collectors within a couple months. They dont look as nice but for a car that is a DD go with the Made in USA pacesetters.

I would say screw stainless and go with the mild steel if its made/fits better. I highly doubt people would either A) Drive the car enough, or B) Own the car long enough w/out changing parts or selling it, to see a mild steel header rust out on them.

I'd much rather prefer less of a headache on install than having a new shiny piece under the hood.

I vote OBX. Their quality over the years has increased quite a bite. However I am not so sure how much produce line they have for the domestics though. Same could be said about Pacesetter for imports. Either way, OBX's product line is very diverse in what they offer. If it not just exhaust headers/catbacks. They have coilovers, intakes, shifters, ect. Just about anything you can think of. So for diversity OBX still wins.