'98 Toyota Camry Info

Archie

Thanks for the info guys. Ended up buying it and already found a few things that needed replaced: plugs/wires (blew a wire on the way home), the power steering pump was almost dry, inspected the timing belt which seemed ok.

The only thing left to look at is an exhaust leak somewhere near the catalytic converter... overall a decent car though.

Nice cars, I had one and did manage to blow up the engine (rod came loose) was at like 240K. I got it real cheap so it wasn't a big deal and I needed a bigger vehicle anyway for work. I'd get another one in a heartbeat if I wanted a car again.

Don't the autos have a problem with cracking flex plates? A friend bought two super cheap because of that issue.

They do but only if you mess around a lot and shift into L1 or L2. I blew my motor and trans in my 1995 camry doing that crap, also wrapped my 1994 camry around a tree, then drove it for 5 more months untill i sold it for parts.

Every camry ive had has an exhaust leak, the first one was because rust finaly cracked the header to exhaust pipe in the front and then the other was near the cat like on yours. It was caused by bottoming out over speed bumps.

So if you cant tell the only major problems that will present them selves in these cars are the drivers fault:rolleyes:

I used to shift into L1 and take off in mine until I was in Dayton and I pulled that stunt *BOOM* first gear teeth shot through the top of the tranny leaving a hole the size of my fist and the pistons dry locked in the cylinders. Took it to a shop and they said engine is shot tranny is fine.... what about me having the ability to stick my fingers inside the tranny while assembled is "fine"?