01 grand prix blower issue

STEVE-O

ok so it only works on high setting (5) resistor is bad right?? wrong.. Well after replacing the resistor come to find out that now the head unit will not turn on the lights when changing to a/c or defrost. Also the air only comes through the ground nothing else.. So I am def thinking its the head unit at this point but dont want to toss any more parts at it without being sure.. Anyone ahve another idea or agree with me that it HAS to be the unit??

ok so it only works on high setting (5) resistor is bad right?? wrong.. Well after replacing the resistor come to find out that now the head unit will not turn on the lights when changing to a/c or defrost. Also the air only comes through the ground nothing else.. So I am def thinking its the head unit at this point but dont want to toss any more parts at it without being sure.. Anyone ahve another idea or agree with me that it HAS to be the unit??

Went through the exact same symptoms with my sisters Jetta earlier this year. Fan only worked on high, lights wouldn't come on for AC/Defrost etc. Replaced the resistor and nada, same issues. Ended up tearing apart the head unit and found the Blower Speed switch was broken ( it wasn't making connections with the copper windings (track) - no connection = no electronic communication with the rest of the hvac system). Fixed the problem by wedging a piece of copper in-between the contact point on the switch and the copper track. Worked like a charm.

Hope that made sense, sort of hard to explain. But yes, your problem likely lies within the climate control module (head unit)

Edited by acklac7
electronic

Went through the exact same symptoms with my sisters Jetta earlier this year. Fan only worked on high, lights wouldn't come on for AC/Defrost etc. Replaced the resistor and nada, same issues. Ended up tearing apart the head unit and found the Blower Speed switch was broken ( it wasn't making connections with the copper windings (track) - no connection = no electronic communication with the rest of the hvac system). Fixed the problem by wedging a piece of copper in-between the contact point on the switch and the copper track. Worked like a charm.

Hope that made sense, sort of hard to explain. But yes, your problem likely lies within the climate control module (head unit)

SWEET That helps out for sure... I guess I will find some free time after work this week and take a look at the conections on it first...

I believe there is a TSB for this. It is the module and you need to add a capacitor to the wiring harness.

OK After about three hours of reading online etc etc I think it is actually the ignition switch... This sends power to that climate unit and the dic. Anyone else have this kind of problem???

Had an issue with the ignition switch on my old Chrylser. The switch would act up intermittently, and when it did fail the power windows/climate control module wouldn't work, period. (blower motor wouldn't work either). A quick "jiggling" of the keys/ignition usually resolved the problem.

The thing that gets me is your blower works but only on high, yet the ac/defrost wont come on...Seems almost identical to the problem with my sisters Jetta.

Try this, start the car and turn the AC/Defrost on, then cycle the blower motor speed back-and-forth...Keep an eye on the AC/Defrost indicator lights to see if they flicker or intermittently come on.

OK After about three hours of reading online etc etc I think it is actually the ignition switch... This sends power to that climate unit and the dic. Anyone else have this kind of problem???

yes, had it happen in an impala (w body also) but you need to check for power and ground just to be sure. (should be no power if its a switch issue.)

Bulletin No.: 05-01-39-001A

Doesn't seem like the failure "conditions" match the symptoms Steve-O described.

(should be no power if its a switch issue.)

Thats sorta what I was getting at - if your problem was related to the ignition switch you shouldn't have any power to the blower motor, period.

Im still betting your problem is related to the blower-motor speed control switch (WHICH CAN BE FIXED WITHOUT REPLACING THE UNIT $$$$$$).

Well after replacing the resistor come to find out that now the head unit will not turn on the lights when changing to a/c or defrost.

Are you SURE this problem wasn't present before you replaced the resistor? Also how did the old resistor look? was it bloated, deformed, burnt etc? Did you check the connections to the resistor for corrosion? Have you checked all the fuses/relays?

Edited by acklac7