FWD vs RWD in the snow

armin922

FWD is easier for most as they are easier to get going and not as easy to fish tale out of control while driving down the road. Most folks have no clue how to correct a RWD slide....but then many RWD owners also think they should slide. :rolleyes: Inexperienced drivers will wreck both when behind the wheel.

I would rather have RWD and go into a spin where I at least have some control than a FWD vehicle that leaves me unable to steer or brake, just plow straight at whatever is in front of me.

I feel the same way. I prefer RWD over FWD. Everything I have ever owned has been RWD while most other family members/GF cars have been FWD and I find FWD boring and or less controling when sliding. I have the 4x4 but only put it in 4WD to play in the snow or if it is extremely bad out, most of the time it is in 2WD.

I'll take the one with the snow tires... ;)

It doesn't matter what it is, a dumb driver will end up in the ditch and/or stuck regardless...

Nothing funnier than people with 4WD trucks hauling ass in the snow and then sliding off the road into the ditch. They think just because they have 4WD they can go anywhere or do anything and that's just not true...

I'll take the one with the snow tires... ;)

It doesn't matter what it is, a dumb driver will end up in the ditch and/or stuck regardless...

Nothing funnier than people with 4WD trucks hauling ass in the snow and then sliding off the road into the ditch. They think just because they have 4WD they can go anywhere or do anything and that's just not true...

Amen to this.

One year I drove a 2wd Toyota Tacoma the whole Winter and it was probably the best Winter driver to date (for me). I loaded the bed with about 300lbs of weight and that thing just go. Never slid, slide or what so ever.

Another year I drove an Evo RS for the Winter (it's AWD). For most of the time its was pretty good. One time I was stuck driving back from Cincinatti, and that was the scariest drive of my life. It was snowing and the damn car just keep on spin-out whenever I reach 40mph. Everybody was passing me. I actually spun out about five times, with one time a semi was right behind me. I thought I was done! Oh yeah, that drive took five and half hours, usually less than two hours drive. Guess what tires I had on the car?

Sunday night, with all the snow coming down, the road are not clear at all, I again made a trip down to Cincinatti. But this time in my Honda Odyssey minivan. I would rate the road condition was about the same as the trip I was in the Evo. I was able to get down there in two and half hours. The van is FWD with all season tires.

Another thing to remember is no matter what you drive, you cannot escape physic. What I'm trying to say is if you're coming up on me doing 60mph in your 4x4 SUV and I'm doing 40mph in my FWD van and we both need to stop, you're going to be in my back seat.

Please check your tires and drive careful out there (man I sound like an old man)!!

IMO AWD>RWD>FWD , although most people that prefer FWD cars are the same people that don't or havent drive RWD in those conditions for a while and dont have the throttle response like most of us drivers have. When I worked at complete petmart I saw all three get stuck, what was the problem? They would gas it and loose traction instantly, sold em 8 bags of cat litter and they still couldn't figure out what was wrong... and they all were women drivers :/

My first four cars were rear drive and the easiest one to drive was the one that was a stick. Tires make a huge difference, shocking I know, on how the car does in snow. Even though I wasn't in Cleveland, I spent some time driving my first mustang in Akron in the winter so I have a little bit of experience in the snow.

My last few beaters have been fwd and the only thing that they do better is get moving from a stop. I don't have to wait at the bottom of an inlcine anymore to get started. Honestly, for a beater I prefer the fwd because of that. I'd drive either with the right tires. Yes, it's more fun in a rwd, but it's easier overall to drive the fwd.

You goofs dont even know what snow is! There is 40 inched on parts of the east side and its STILL SNOWING.

That being said, 4WD > FWD> RWD. Period. And yes, I am an expert.

yeah 3" is just a dusting. Orgianlly from Sandusky, we never got it as bad as Cleveland but still saw a lot of lake affect snow.

I4X4>AWD>RWD>FWD

Fixed.

My 96 XJ 4.0 lifted with 31" tires was beast. Left in RWD unless driving through some thick crap then just pulled a lever and all was good. As meantioned though tires, skill, and experience > *. Also as mentioned 4X4 didn't allow me do drive in snow/ice at 80 and not slide at all. You still have to use common sense.

I have driven a FWD 91 Prizm with 7HP, FWD 92 tercel with 10HP, a FWD 91 Olds 98 with a 3.8, my 4X4 96 XJ, a FWD 01 Passat 1.8T, a FWD 02 Jetta 1.8T, and currently a RWD 97 Dakota V6.

Worst for me? The Olds by far. A boat with skinny wheels that weigh a kajillion pounds. Never ditched it or anything but I had to concentrate for sure. The best? XJ. Can't beat it. I miss the hell out of my Jeep and will own another someday, and possibly for the rest of my life from that point forward. The current? I love it. RWD is fine. Just do as mentioned. I currently have 7 cinder blocks and 2 3'-4' railroad ties right over the rears. May add sand bags also but haven't need to yet. Only broke them loose once driving down Walnut Creek Pike during that first bad snowfall and quickly regained control by counter steering and working the throttle. Didn't even break a sweat. I was only going 35 MPH when that happened too so I wasn't going balls to the wall.

Just my .02.

I drove my 5spd blown/h/c/i 5.0 mustang daily for 4 years in the rain and snow on bfg g-force ta kdws tires- I got stuck once- before that I drove a six speed LT1 firebird with 4.10 gears on goodyear rsas and then pepboys futuras.

But knowing how to drive with rwd all white knuckled and sweaty half sideways up hills and drifting around outerbelts isn't worth it to me anymore- I will take a cautious leisurely fwd or 4wd/awd any day of the week now...

if I had nowhere to go and wanted to fool around yes rwd is much more fun and challenging. Getting to work/school every day was an accomplishment. I took the z06 out for kicks one time before winterizing it this year on 18" 295 Nitto NT-05s... for those of you that aren't familiar these are a super soft dry weather tire compound with a tread pattern very similar to a slick with one groove down the middle... I managed to get to the gas station, fill up and get back without getting stuck and yes it was a thrill but I would not do it everyday unless I had to and then I would get some all season or snow tires on some narrower rims. And yes, to the waxers, I hosed it down undercarriage and all even though there isn't much that can rust on these things anyhow being all aluminum and plastic.

i was on summer kumho ecstas and just put on a set of 17" blizzaks on my g35, and what a difference. As much care should be put into a winter set as a summer set.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1364.snc4/163685_657091586426_39502440_36663347_1343959_n.jpg