Refrigerator in the garage in winter?

Casper

I have a refrigerator in the garage. This is the first winter I have it out there. I was under the impression it would be fine in the garage, as it wouldn't run much at all during the winter when below freezing. Well, I was out there tonight. It's 12 degrees in my garage. The fridge was running. I opened it to find most everything frozen. So, the frozen drinks weren't really a surprise seeing as how cold it is. However, the fact that it was still running definitely boggles my mind. So the question; for those of you with fridges in your garage, do you unplug them during the winter?

I run a full size all winter in the garage. Fridge always does perfect, but we can't keep anything in the freezer... it thaws out! Seems ass-backwards, but I think ours doesn't run often enough to circulate the air, so it won't stay frozen.

Nice to know I am not the only one. Opened my freezer last night and it was 35 degrees inside and stuff was starting to thaw.

OP- my fridge never has a problem

I'm not an expert but refridgerators are designed to be "frost free", so the food thawing in the freezer doesn't really surprise me as it's trying to keep it from frosting. Never really thought of having a fridge in really cold weather, but I could see how it might fuck with it.

I run a full size all winter in the garage. Fridge always does perfect, but we can't keep anything in the freezer... it thaws out! Seems ass-backwards, but I think ours doesn't run often enough to circulate the air, so it won't stay frozen.

+1