hand gun advice... revolver or semi auto??

accel_is_my_drug

I am looking to find a new hand gun to keep in my home. I know I will not shoot it very often and most likely, it may sit un-used (hopefully) for weeks. I am un-sure if a revolver or semi-auto is the way to go. The one thing I like about the idea of a revolver, is the reliability factor, and they will require less maintenance.

So what do the experts think,, 45 revolver, or semi auto?

I know I will not shoot it very often and most likely, it may sit un-used (hopefully) for weeks.

Call ADT.

If you're not gonna shoot regularly:

1) Don't spend your money.

2) Don't take a good gun off the market that I could buy. :)

If you are out of practice, don't know how to handle your firearm, don't know how to strip and clean it, and don't shoot enough to get a feel for it then you'll ultimately be clumsy and ineffective with it like the guy in the school board shooting video.

Just my .02 though.

I use to have a great big Rottweiler, RIP hendrix, aka hendog, aka fatty,. he was 165 lbs, and looked ferocious! In reality, is was a big stinky throw pillow of love. The dog was the sweetest furry creature alive. However, the closest thing he would do to protect my house would be sleeping in front of the door so it could not open. ( he was kinda lazy....)

Otherwise, I have owned plenty of guns in the past, but mostly rifles and shotguns. Quite frankly, back in the day, I was damn near surgical with a 20gauge, and clay pigeons feared me like the devil himself. Many years ago I had a lovely ruger 45, but I got rid of it, as I rarely used it. This won't be my first gun.

Anyways, now I want a hand gun to keep at home again as my rifles I keep back west.. I, of course, will go to a range a few times with it, but not regularly enough to call it a hobby. I know a revolver will be a bit less maintenance, so maybe a better question to ask, is can any one recommend a semi-auto that may approach the revolver in terms of reliability?

I was considering a glock, with the 45sig or 40 option, but the one i shot didn't fit my hand very well... (i can't recall what size frame it was...)

What else is out there these days? Anybody have experience with the CZs?

go to a shooting range and rent quite a few of them. not 1 or 2, like 10. See which on you like the best, which one you can handle. If its for home defense your best bet is a shotgun. for an hangun i would look at a .40, 9mm, then larger rounds like .45 or 10mm. But I say a nice shotgun.

Im guessing this is for home protection? If thats the case a 357 revolver would be great.. Powerfull so no one gets away after a shot lol I have both glock 45 and a 44mag and i love both guns.. Neither gun is better than the other its really about what your doing with it and what your preference is...

glock 22 is what i have. 40 cal. and i have easy over 12k rounds through it with no problems.

i bought it from a dealer through glocks trade in/reman program. when a department wants new guns they can get a credit from glock trading their old ones in. then glock goes through and replaces all the wear parts and checks everything else out (same barrel, slide and frame) the slide on my gun is stamped with the department name where it came from so thats kinda cool (OSP melts their guns down instead of trading them in, why save money when ohio is made of it) my gun was made in december of '97.

also with glock you can send it to the factory in GA anytime and they will go through the gun and replace any worn or broken parts for free.

FNH. Only the best. Home protection= FNP-9.

Carry= FNP-9.

And it comes with night sights.

FNH's are dead accurate and the decocker is amazing along with the double action trigger pull.

Fixed. :p

I like Sig's. They're solid. Beretta Storm is nice as well. Still wanting the SC.

Sig Sauer. Only the best. Home protection= p226 .40 cal.

Carry= p250/p239.

And make sure you get the Sig Nitesites or some meprolights.

Sigs are dead accurate and the decocker is amazing along with the 10/4 lb double action trigger pull.

What do you think of the trigger pull on the P250? The price is pretty good at vances on them currently. I like the interchangeability of it.

if your going to leave it loaded all the time revolver all the way, keeping ammunition in a spring loaded magazine for long periods of time can cause the spring to fail and make your weapon useless when you need it the most. otherwise go for the semi higher capacity and way more fun to shoot.

if your going to leave it loaded all the time revolver all the way, keeping ammunition in a spring loaded magazine for long periods of time can cause the spring to fail and make your weapon useless when you need it the most. otherwise go for the semi higher capacity and way more fun to shoot.

:sigh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

yes. I preloaded all the mags for my m1 before a weekend trip that got postponed for about a month finally got to go first two ran great third mag pop pop jam the spring had broken inside the magazine and not allowed it to feed properly. I quit preloading after that and have never had another spring fail. coulda been random, but I won't leave one loaded up anymore.

notice austin with all your math I didn't say the spring could lose its elasticity i said it could fail, springs break all the time in all kinds of different applications.