7 Best Cars for Winter

CRed05

http://www.automobile.com/2007-bmw-x5-4-8i-winter-test.html

You can find a review for anything and everything. ;)

I can say first hand, mine is great.

This. We have the normal 17's on and it does GREAT.

I've heard many times about how they are pretty terrible offroad and in snow, that's just the first thing that came up when I did a search. I don't have any first hand experience with one.

In the original article I posted, it mentions how any vehicle, fwd, rwd, awd, sports car or SUV becomes perfectly drivable in the snow if you put snow tires on.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cayenne S or Touareg....retarded purchase.

And the rich guy with his Cayenne is saying, "why the fuck would I waste money on a piece of shit jeep that doesn't even have 300hp, with imitation leather, doesnt have 15 way adjustable seats and 32 airbags with ride adjustment"

And the rich guy with his Cayenne is saying, "why the fuck would I waste money on a piece of shit jeep that doesn't even have 300hp, with imitation leather, doesnt have 15 way adjustable seats and 32 airbags with ride adjustment"

+12

Thank god we have the ability to think and purchase for ourselves.

:cool:

I've heard many times about how they are pretty terrible offroad and in snow, that's just the first thing that came up when I did a search. I don't have any first hand experience with one.

In the original article I posted, it mentions how any vehicle, fwd, rwd, awd, sports car or SUV becomes perfectly drivable in the snow if you put snow tires on.

No snow tires here, still does great. I get what you are saying though. Now you can put one positive mark in for the X5 from someone else. :D

My Ram kicks it's ass for sure though. :cool:

Yup. And since everyone here is comparing the "offroad capabilities" of the Cayenne and Toureg I'll continue the trend.

That same rich guy is also getting laughed right outta the trail head when he shows up.

Packed dirt path != off road capabilites.

3' of drifted country snow != paved and salted suburban roads lightly dusted with snow.

That cars mentioned by the OP are good cars. I just need something MORE than than can provide. Ground clearance. Never seen an Audi on 31's or bigger.

No snow tires here, still does great. I get what you are saying though. Now you can put one positive mark in for the X5 from someone else. :D

My Ram kicks it's ass for sure though. :cool:

Right before I bought my Land Rover, it was either a land rover or an x5. Both being pretty much BMW products anyway. I ended up going with the LR just because I could get a lot lower mileage one for the same money, and it's a little more offroad capable and not as nice so I wouldn't feel bad about actually taking it off road.

So yes, one mark next to Positive Snow Experience, haha.

Yup. And since everyone here is comparing the "offroad capabilities" of the Cayenne and Toureg I'll continue the trend.

That same rich guy is also getting laughed right outta the trail head when he shows up.

Packed dirt path != off road capabilites.

3' of drifted country snow != paved and salted suburban roads lightly dusted with snow.

That cars mentioned by the OP are good cars. I just need something MORE than than can provide. Ground clearance. Never seen an Audi on 31's or bigger.

The article is about cars for winter, not which one will do best in the Paris to Dakar, otherwise I would agree with you.

As if the rich guys goes off-roading?

Even better, whose to say the rich guy doesnt have a farm full of fucking vehicles to take off road. Columbus isnt a jungle. Its a city full of potholes and even more asshole drivers. Ill take the turbo cayenne with all its amenities.

That's because the 15-17" wheels wont' fit over the 6 Piston brembo's.

No problem fitting over the 6" rotors on a jeep.

:p

Haha. Touche.

Still proves my point though. :)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3088/4741/7719870318_large.jpg

http://www.oramagazine.com/images/0411-nov/041102t-finesse/06picture02.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/2216651955_c4757a885c.jpg?v=0

Ground clearance is key. ;) Leather feels nice and seat heaters are great for when you're waiting for a tox out of an 8" snow drift though. Hahaha.

The article is about cars for winter, not which one will do best in the Paris to Dakar, otherwise I would agree with you.

Again, XJ on 31's > Audi with 4 inches ground clearance in 8"+ drifts. :p

As if the rich guys goes off-roading?

Even better, whose to say the rich guy doesnt have a farm full of fucking vehicles to take off road. Columbus isnt a jungle. Its a city full of potholes and even more asshole drivers. Ill take the turbo cayenne with all its amenities.

Geographical local was not mentioned in the origional post. That little snow we got? Over 1' drifts across my parents driveway. For me a lifted Jeep with some amenities gets me where I need to go. :)

fixed :lol:

Well played. :)

I have 2 VAG's remember. I'd rather do another water pump in 30 minutes on my XJ than the water pump I did on the wife's Jetta 1.8T. Eff that car. LOL.

EDIT: And eff its coil packs. :p

Haha. Touche.

Still proves my point though. :)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3088/4741/7719870318_large.jpg

http://www.oramagazine.com/images/0411-nov/041102t-finesse/06picture02.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/2216651955_c4757a885c.jpg?v=0

Ground clearance is key. ;) Leather feels nice and seat heaters are great for when you're waiting for a tox out of an 8" snow drift though. Hahaha.

Both my Q7 and a Treg have over 8" of ground clearance.

EDIT: Treg w/ Air has 11.8"

Both my Q7 and a Treg have over 8" of ground clearance.

EDIT: Treg w/ Air has 11.8"

I'm seeing varying #s for angles of approach/departure on Touareg. Most 2011 reviews cite it as 26/26deg, older publications cite 33/33deg. Is that a function of the optional air suspesion? If its 26/26, thats pathetic.

I'm seeing varying #s for angles of approach/departure on Touareg. Most 2011 reviews cite it as 26/26deg, older publications cite 33/33deg. Is that a function of the optional air suspesion? If its 26/26, thats pathetic.

Old Tregs were actually more capable than the new ones.

They got soft on the new ones, 99% of owners never used them off road anyway. The few that did, and got the locking diffs were rewarded kindly.

Plus being able to ford 2' of water is cool.

That's because the 15-17" wheels wont' fit over the 6 Piston brembo's.

No problem fitting over the 6" rotors on a jeep.

:p

because brakes mean everything offroad or in the snow.

+12

Thank god we have the ability to think and purchase for ourselves.

I would say the Audi marketing group has made your mind up for you and you need 32 airbags when your 50k + SUV just slide through an intersections because its WAY big brakes locked them up and you smash into on coming trafffic.

With that said I would drive an X5 or whatever Euro AWD car around town after the roads are plowed or maybe a light dusting but if its dumping 4 inches on us then I am taking the Jeep. Jeep may be a farm tractor compared to a Euro in the accessories dept but it works and works well.