7 Best Cars for Winter

CRed05

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they aparently didnt test the 3/4 truck market, or the h2.

I've been driving an h2 and it will go anywhere.

H2s are awsome. If someone gets one stuck, they should not be driving.

My buddy has one, and it is amazing what they will do in the mud/snow/climbing hills/rocks, and his has shitty bfg a/t tires on it. I wish I could post some of the pictures he has of his going off road. He owns a bodyshop, so he tears the shit out of it, then just brings it in and fixes all the scratchs, and dents.

If we are going to play the modded out version of cars on the list game...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/sema2005/media/images/low/3294_1.jpg

"the XC70 AT can ride up to 8 inches higher than the production Volvo XC70"

lolololol

Oh my goodness, I'm in love. :eek:

Really? I mean...really?

No. I've driven a Toureg. Overpriced and nowhere near the capabilites of a Jeep. Nicer? Yes. More luxurious? Yes. As capable in snow drifts, mud, and on trails? No way.

Again, just my .02 and I understand your VAG love. I won't own another though after my 2 1.8T's.

Nowhere near the capability my ass. Lets go play. I'll get the V8 treg with air susp and 19" A/S tires and you get your XJ/WJ/IDKJ with similar tires.

***Edit, the Treg has center and rear locker factory. Also Jones, the new T3 touaregs do NOT have a selectable transfer case. Hardly any Tregs get off road which is why you don't see any on 30+" tires. There are some out there, but they're all over the planet and people love to wheel in em.

You've had bad luck with your cars Yenner, and you said so yourself they were under maintained.

Under maintain + ANY turbo car = bad.

Edited by gmann

That article was based off of which car had the snazziest heated steering wheel and heated washer nozzles. It may actually be worse than any car article in Maxim or Stuff magazines.

Oh, and Shawn, my Jeep has disc brakes at all four corners, and my 01 Tundra didn't have ABS. ROFLSKATES

This Touareg is serious business

Yes. THAT one is. I bought and built a Jeep for a very small fraction of the cost. :)

Ok how about a "Best Cars for the middle class" list. Jeeez, I don't care what anyone says at this point I haven't been impressed with Jeep at all in the snow.

That's fair. Just my personal thoughts. NObody has to agree. :)

2wd stock height expedition with some mickey thompson bajas..... COME GET SUM!!!!!

by get some i mean your little panzie 4x4s might be quicker but i can get threw the same shit you do oh an in 2wd :D

:bs::lol: Don't care how fast you are no neon is getting through 2' drifts.

Nowhere near the capability my ass. Lets go play. I'll get the V8 treg with air susp and 19" A/S tires and you get your XJ/WJ/IDKJ with similar tires.

***Edit, the Treg has center and rear locker factory. Also Jones, the new T3 touaregs do NOT have a selectable transfer case. Hardly any Tregs get off road which is why you don't see any on 30+" tires. There are some out there, but they're all over the planet and people love to wheel in em.

Ok. We'll play. Since you are making a stipulation as to what tires can be used I get to make one.

1) Build a rig (me in a Jeep, you in a Touareg) for under $10,000 including vehicle price. ;)

You've had bad luck with your cars Yenner, and you said so yourself they were under maintained.

Under maintain + ANY turbo car = bad.

Absolutely. NOw stp using our convo's on other forums against me. :lol:

I love my Jetta still and Passat, even through the frustrations (which I have brought on myself). VAG's are great cars if you can afford regular maintenance. I cannot right now. Hopefully this new job will change that.

Regardless, my Jetta isn't getting around some of the places my XJ would have. To say so is ludicrous.

The Touareg's are nice but I'm not dropping $40k on one, cutting a hole in the fender for a snorkel, lifting it, trimming body pieces to accomodate custom front and rear bumpers, etc. like I did my XJ. That's all.

I love VAG cars, but for off road/HEAVY snow/mud I'm not getting one. Can't afford to be trail breaking a Cayenne or anything. LOL

Ok. We'll play. Since you are making a stipulation as to what tires can be used I get to make one.

1) Build a rig (me in a Jeep, you in a Touareg) for under $10,000 including vehicle price. ;)

The Touareg's are nice but I'm not dropping $40k on one, cutting a hole in the fender for a snorkel, lifting it, trimming body pieces to accomodate custom front and rear bumpers, etc. like I did my XJ. That's all.

I love VAG cars, but for off road/HEAVY snow/mud I'm not getting one. Can't afford to be trail breaking a Cayenne or anything. LOL

Because asking for similar tires for a comparison test is unreasonable, right?

And him asking for similar tires and you asking for him to build a vehicle are similar requests.

Also, did you buy your jeep new, and mod it for under 10k?

A Treg can be had for 15k.

Also, you act like the Grand Cherokee loaded up doesn't overlap in price with the Treg. A 50k jeep? Really?

We may love VAG vehicles, but your bias to Jeeps is also apparent.

Its what you like.

Because asking for similar tires for a comparison test is unreasonable, right?

And him asking for similar tires and you asking for him to build a vehicle are similar requests.

If someone sets a game changing stipulation then I should be able to. :)

Also, did you buy your jeep new, and mod it for under 10k?

Who said anything about new? Buy a used Touareg. My point is I can build a vehicle with the same or better capabilites in the snow/mud/trails for much less. I don't need nav and a back up cam on the trails. :)

Also, you act like the Grand Cherokee loaded up doesn't overlap in price with the Treg. A 50k jeep? Really?

I never mentioned a $50K GC. I mentioned my $7K XJ.

We may love VAG vehicles, but your bias to Jeeps is also apparent.

That's a fair statment. It should. That 4.0 XJ was by far the easiest to work on and cheapest to maintain I've ever owned. It was built more solid than either of my VAG's.

$10K total purchase and build on my XJ < the price tag of the used Touareg.

Its what you like.

Precisely. I've mentioned that in every post of mine in here I think. :)

Look, I'll say it just one more time, the VAG's are extremely nice and capable vehicles and there is definitely a ground to stand on when campaigning for them. I do still love mine even through all of the headache. My main point is that I can build a vehicle with comparable capabilities for a very small percentage of what it would take to do the same with a VAG and trail damage repairs would be extremely more affordable. That's all. That's it. That's my point.

I'm also not willing to hack up a $40K VAG for a snorkel and custom bumpers, etc.

I LIKE VAG's! :thumbup:

To me the article was saying the only mod needed was snow tires, not completely building a snow rig for a certain price. I also don't think they are talking about climbing drifts, or parking lot snow piles, just being capable in icy/snowy conditions. The $75k audi is #1, so I doubt the are talking about doing anything to extreme.

You forgot 2 :p

You can't find a treg with a V8 for under 10k. Won't happen. They are just now going on 6 years old. You can't even get a XJ that's 6 years old for that price.

Absolutely. NOw stp using our convo's on other forums against me. :lol:

I love my Jetta still and Passat, even through the frustrations (which I have brought on myself). VAG's are great cars if you can afford regular maintenance. I cannot right now. Hopefully this new job will change that.

Regardless, my Jetta isn't getting around some of the places my XJ would have. To say so is ludicrous.

Bazinga! Still LMK when you wana fix the cars. I'm sure I can get it done cheap.

To ask a Jetta/Passat to be a clunky off roading beast would be the same thing as asking the XJ to be a smooth, agile and quick road going vehicle.

Purpose built.

You forgot 2 :p

You can't find a treg with a V8 for under 10k. Won't happen. They are just now going on 6 years old. You can't even get a XJ that's 6 years old for that price.

Last XJ built was in 01, so no, you can't vget a 6 year old XJ...at all. :)

Bazinga! Still LMK when you wana fix the cars. I'm sure I can get it done cheap.

To ask a Jetta/Passat to be a clunky off roading beast would be the same thing as asking the XJ to be a smooth, agile and quick road going vehicle.

Purpose built.

Purpose built for sure. :) That's what I'm saying.

Be Yenner, change oil in turbo car every 60,000 miles.

Complain about VAG.

3K-5K. I have freely admitted that I take care of these tampon 1.8T's the same way as my XJ. Difference is my XJ didn't cry about it then take me 10 hours to shut it up. LOL.

Said it before and I'll always say it. VAG's are GREAT vehicles if you have the money to maintain them. As of now I do not have the cash to maintain 2.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4461874/Change-oil-every-60k-miles-Bitch-about-VAG-reliability.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Racist-Dawg

:)

:funny: Literally LOL'd Garrett. :)