Fellow CCW'ers.... Question

schmuckingham

As we all know its illegal to conceal in a gov. or state building, so obviously that is not what we are discussing here. However when you do go in to maybe pay a speeding ticket or what have you do you also remove your holster? Reason I ask this is because the local Ashland PD has a metal detector at the door before you can pay a ticket and they wand you if you set of the detector.

This is just a random question, my IWB is somehwat easy to get off especially since I switched to this BDU belt but I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning.

The last time I checked, a Holster is not a weapon, nor are they banned from any building.

Just my thought though...

KillJoy

I understand that but I was just thinking is it really worth it to leave the holster on, walk through the metal detector and set it off and be wanded only to have some old retired cop freak out because you have an empty holster. Option B is just take it off and avoid the whole thing.

I don't usually remove my holster when in a place that I can not legally carry a weapon. A piece of leather is hardly a weapon...but then again I suppose it could be used as such...

I could probably kill someone with this metal clip if i straightened the end. Cuts my finger half the time trying to get it off

Make sure you aren't parked on their property either, with the gun in your car.

you can have it in the property but not loaded. If you take it off you and leave it in your car you must separate the gun from the ammo just like you would do to transport it with out your CCW.

You can have the holster in the building just like everyone stated.

Make sure you aren't parked on their property either, with the gun in your car.

+1 As far as it goes. I've heard a story of a guy who went into court with a holster, then they searched his car and found a gun on the gov't property. I don't know how true it is, but I wouldn't push it.

+1 As far as it goes. I've heard a story of a guy who went into court with a holster, then they searched his car and found a gun on the gov't property. I don't know how true it is, but I wouldn't push it.

That sounds like some bad luck. Might as well just take the holster off and risk nothing.

I have found that applying the term "concealed" to related areas of CCW status is always a good thing. For example, places that haven't posted signeage about not allowing you to carry but you know are going to be anti-gun people in general.... no need to bring it up, show them, let them see your CCW license by accident, etc. It's just better to be discreet sadly. I've had the same thought as you about the holster, but believe it's better just not to give people with power trips an excuse to feel taller (like going and searching your car as the story mentioned went).

We won the right to carry, so I rest on that as my victory and don't provoke anything in situations that someone may try to screw you over on.... luckily our laws in OH are also becoming less ambiguous for gun owners and CCW holders over time. That the anti's would use ambiguity to try and send law abiding citizens to jail is disgusting but reality, and thankfully that reality is fading.

Now, anyone on here who's not an NRA member, go join now so we can keep it this way and not end up like England....