Anyone a nurse or married to a nurse?

DaddyBuiltRacing

I am about to start my 2nd quarter of school on Jan 4th. Currently I am doing all my pre-reqs to get into the Radiology program. However I have started to question if or if not I really want to be doing somethin in that field. I have given thought to switching my major to nursing as the only difference in pre-reqs is 2 classes. I am trying to find info from people that have expierence either being a nurse or living with one.

I am wanting to know the following:

1) Was an associates degree good enough to get you a job or should I stay the extra year and get my Bachelors?

2) What type of facility are you/they working in? I.E Hospital, Nursing Home, School?

3) What was the starting salary and whats current salaray? You don't have to give exact details as I don't wanna get too personal, just wanting a close ball park figure.

I work with them on a daily basis. and have about 3 years exp. recrutiing them. I can give you some perspective from an employers standpoint.

1. it was sufficient 5 years ago. The new thing is the BSN and soon it will become more than just "preferred". I would recommend getting the BSN... it will take a lot longer/more money to get down the road (more than a year).

2. The best type of nurse to be (but i am biased) is an acute care nurse. Hospital nursing is where its at and you can always find a job. all these wierdo specialties have limited openings especially in central ohio. The most in demand nursing is ER, ICU, and anything cardiac. There will also always be a need for med/surg and stepdown. Dont go into these one-off types of nursing as well as limited-needs fields like case mgmt. Nursing homes smell liek shit and the turnover is bad, you will eventually get blamed for something you didnt do...

Here is what i recommend. Stay and get your BSN, go work for 3 years while you get your CRNA (3 years to get once you have a BSN) and then come out of school making 130k+. An NP is too narrow/specialized while the CRNA is in huge demand.

3. here's what i know:

Newgrad BSN RN in hospital is about 26.---28.00 an hour plus night and weekend diff but they will count previous experience that you didnt have as an RN (ie, lpn, STNA)

The scale then goes up about 1.30 a year and the ceiling is about 38.00 an hour though I have heard of people maikng 45.00/hour at OSU with 20 years exp.

Ohiohealth has a grid they use per years of exp. As a travel nurse you can make 40.00 per hour but you will need 2-3 years of exp. to get into that.

Some areas pay more, some pay less. Home health pays like 25.00 an hour. LTC varies a bit. Case MGMT pays like 27.00 an hour and maxes at like 33.00 an hour. Working through an agency canunlimityour earning ability. I have nurses who have W-2'd 110k in the past working mad overtime.

The easiest place to get an acute care job as a new grad is Select specialty hospital (there are 2 in town and 1 in zanesville) or Regency hospital. They take new grads. The places are known for turnover and burn a lot of people out but its a good way to learn/earn your stripes. Dont stay there forever. use it for a couple years an move on.

Like i said, i am not a nurse. i just know what the hot areas are and how much they get paid. But i think my insight is valuable because I see the wide panorama of nursing... not just what "a nurse who works in a nursing home" tells you.

Ohio is a very saturated market so get into something that is high in demand.

yes, peds has a good level of demand but realize that Columbus Ohio might not be a hotspot for it. I know NICU nurses are hard as fuck to come by. IF you do go that route, let me know. I am tight with a few people over at Children's.

. LEt alone the fact that I know a lot of nurse managers, directors, HR mgers, and executives within OhioHealth and Mount Carmel.

3. here's what i know:

Newgrad BSN RN in hospital is about 26.---28.00 an hour plus night and weekend diff but they will count previous experience that you didnt have as an RN (ie, lpn, STNA)

The scale then goes up about 1.30 a year and the ceiling is about 38.00 an hour though I have heard of people maikng 45.00/hour at OSU with 20 years exp.

I would take everything said by this guy with a grain of salt.

You will not be getting a 30% raise every year. You will not be starting at 26 out of college.

You might be able to get 26 in the least desirable position available in columbus, but it is not common. My wife is a nurse at riverside, and her friends work at OSU. Base pay is around 23. My wife started at 21.xx 5 years ago.

Unless he gets his reqruits 10% more money than those without a head hunter, he is full of it.

Bachelors from OSU. Going back to school for dual masters, msn/mba from capital in 2011.

She is currently the charge nurse on her floor. She also is a preceptor (trainer) for her floor and says the knowledge difference of associates vs bachelors grads are night and day on bachelors side.

My wife is a nurse but she is a research coordinator and uses her skills to give IV drugs and draw blood for an extra $100 and hour on top of her salary with a research firm. Get your BS you will not have to limit yourself to being a nurse. She has hers in Biology, and is just an RN. She went to CSCC for her RN and OSU for her Bachelors. She makes great $$.

I would take everything said by this guy with a grain of salt.

You will not be getting a 30% raise every year. You will not be starting at 26 out of college.

You might be able to get 26 in the least desirable position available in columbus, but it is not common. My wife is a nurse at riverside, and her friends work at OSU. Base pay is around 23. My wife started at 21.xx 5 years ago.

Unless he gets his reqruits 10% more money than those without a head hunter, he is full of it.

that is "one dollar and 30 cents per year"... not 30%

I have the Ohiohealth payscale (from Ohiohealth) sitting at my desk at work. I believe 0-1 year exp is 25.95... might possibly be 24.95, its one of the two.

Your wife works at Riverside as a BSN RN? and only gets 23.00 dollars an hour? I can't fathom that.

As a recruiter i've never paid a nurse under 30 at Ohiohealth. But that has no bearign on how much htey will start you at as a staff nurse. Like i said, i have had nurses who W2 110k (with overtime).

Look at it like this, the average new grad makes 50-55k and it ceilings at 80k for the most part.

Aaron, you are a shining example of what I was just saying. Your wife works at riverside and you know what she makes. The nagain, i have almost half a decade of industry knowledge and see things from a more global perspective. Why would i lie to the kid? What good would that do me?

Also, Aaron, I placed a travel nurse (after her contract) on staff at Grant (6th floor) and her rate before differential was 28.70. She has 3 years of experience as an RN (Associates Degree actually too). I know this because she is also a friend of mine who i speak with regularly.

With her diffs she makes an additional 4.75 for nights and 4.75 for weekends (might be 4.50, cant remember). That is the OhioHealth standard.

It should be noted that while it is possible to make 26-28 an hour as a floor nurse at a hospital in columbus, it is not normal.

It should also be noted that nursing has TONS of options to make 22/hr up to 40/hr depending on shift, location, traveling, etc. Be sure to research what a traveling nurse has to deal with, such as being pulled, called off, working weekends, etc.

Sister inlaw lives in Marietta, OH and stays at our place while she works up here at Riverside (3 days per week 7pm-7am) and does well. Last time I did her taxes it was 70-80K. She's a good nurse though if that matters.

My wife has been a nurse for about 9 yrs. She has done home health, nursing home, dialysis, and now at OSU transplant. Dialysis is a very high paying job. my wife made $30 per hr, with no expirence. but if is a VERY difficult job and I would not recommend that to anyone. 14hr days on your feet the whole time, getting up at 3am....

She got offers from Ohio Health and OSU to work on the floor, and they were oferring about $25/hr. She is blessed to have her current job. pays way more than the floor and m-f 8-4 office job.

Def get your bsn, like stated above it will soon be a requirement.

greg rn---ha

my wife has a b.s. nursing degree. she worked at mt. carmel for 5 years before we moved---actually made more money than me for one year while i was in residency. she worked weekend option for two years---basically you work a 12 hour shift every sat and sun for 16 weeks. she was getting $42/hr as an icu nurse during those weekends. i tried to get her to go the crna route, but at this point we don't need the money.

not sure what the op means by working in radiology?? you don't need to go to nursing school to be a rad tech---you just need to have thick skin when you go to the operating room with the x-ray machine and get yelled at by the surgeon for not taking xrays exactly how we want.

just remember the health care field is not a career, its a lifestyle--

I am wanting to know the following:

1) Was an associates degree good enough to get you a job or should I stay the extra year and get my Bachelors?

2) What type of facility are you/they working in? I.E Hospital, Nursing Home, School?

3) What was the starting salary and whats current salaray? You don't have to give exact details as I don't wanna get too personal, just wanting a close ball park figure.

My wifes a nurse so I can get more info if you need it...

1. She has a Bachelors and for an extra year I would go for it. Like others have said, more marketable but doesn't mean you will be better. There are plenty of BSN's that come out of school with little or no skills. My wife has multiple Bachelor's so she went through an accelerated program. She had more skill and knowledge than some of the girls that went to school for 4-years for Nursing....

2. She worked at Miami Valley for a couple years right out of school in an ICU. Now in Texas she works at a Sports Medicine/Private practice. She did a lot of Nursing home care in High School though...

3. Miami Valley and many other hospitals in Ohio start out around $20hr (IMO not enough) but there are so many different area's it just depends. 12hr days (14 by the time you give/get report) for 3-days pays you for 40. More available if you want. They also have a program where you work straight weekends only and get paid for 40-hours. Some worked Sat/Sun and then had another gig during the week. You can make lots but starting out pay isn't really that great. Now in Texas she gets paid considerably MORE ($30+ still not great IMO) than she did in Ohio, just depends where you work...

haha, care to answer any of the 3 questions I posted? I have been on yahoo reading stuff for last hour but would like to get input from those living in Ohio

My woman is...I needed to ask her those things, but forgot. Sorry.