civil service exam

evan9381

so the first test is like basic education stuff (reading, writing, math) to make sure you're not a complete retard and not illiterate? nothing that has to do with points of the job or any other type of government work?

Pretty much......Welcome to Civil Service

the tests are pretty easy basic high school stuff, however at least in columbus if you don't have previous military or government experience they won't even look at your application

Not true, I did the class in the class that took place a few years ago when they approved us and then budget cuts denied us. The guys who were coming from the military rarely were able to pass the physical stuff and that kept them out. I was pushed right through and didnt have any of their background.

so, i got an email today. exactly what i was looking for.

" I am writing you today to inform you there is a reference guide provided to you from the testing vendor. This reference guide gives an explanation of the different testing sections and references the practice test site that is available online. The practice test is the candidate's option for $14.95 which allows 2 passes through. It is not necessary in order to do well, but it does help reduce test anxiety for those that have not taken testing like this before.There is no other study material for this exam."

sweeet

yeah you can "Fail" the test its all about placement, there will be alot of people there and alot from other agencies that have been through the dog and pony show more than once. Just get a good nights sleep and use common sense on the questions.

Im not so much worried about "failing" it, but any advantage i can get to score higher than he other 199 people taking the test will be great. If they only take the top 25 or whatever it is, i want to make sure im in that group

• 3 weeks later...

just to update...i paid the $18 for this "practice test" a few days ago...it was literally 6 videos, with 4 options of "which is the best response for this situation", then a video of a mock accident, interviews, then "here is a well written report"...it was the shittiest "practice test" ive ever seen...especially since the full test is supposed to be 3 hours, and this was ~10 min.

but ive also got the exam for columbus for a police dispatch position i applied for after hearing about it the night i did the ride along...that isnt until 2/18 though

just to update...i paid the $18 for this "practice test" a few days ago...it was literally 6 videos, with 4 options of "which is the best response for this situation", then a video of a mock accident, interviews, then "here is a well written report"...it was the shittiest "practice test" ive ever seen...especially since the full test is supposed to be 3 hours, and this was ~10 min.

but ive also got the exam for columbus for a police dispatch position i applied for after hearing about it the night i did the ride along...that isnt until 2/18 though

I'm dully trained as a dispatcher for CFD, were in the same bldg actually right across the hall from CPD dispatchers. They are always looking for people for that job and overtime is CRAZY! It's nothing for a CPD dispatcher to bring in 50k + just in overtime annually.

CPD uses civilian dispatchers where we use our own people, it's a helluva job if your interested. And a great job while waiting for CPD to hire.

Thats *exactly* what the other cop was saying the day i did the ride along...he said wih all the mandatory OT, theres some doing 6 figures...it ranges from 19.xx-25.xx/hr IIRC...i wasnt banking on that, but you being the 2nd person to tell me that sounds sweet...im just curious as to how many people they have taking the exam for that position

edit...if theres that much earning potential there, i may just not even worry about a PO spot...lol

so the test was actually less than what i expected. a section of "which is the best option for this situation" type things, a section to write a report, and a "reading" section which was more of "choose the best word for this spot"...that part kinda threw me off because i was trying to read the sentence to figure which word goes there, but most of the time, there were several words missing...i really thought i was about to bomb that section but i think i ended up doing well

i guess we get the results back on the 10th or 11th and it'll give us our individual ranks

but get this...200 people was the limit for the test. how many people showed up? 127...you would think that people who werent going to show up wouldn't have even applied and given that opportunity to someone who wanted it...oh well though. works for me as it immediately eliminated ~37% of the competition... 1 out of 127.