G-D Droid 2 Global. pseudo review

gmann

First off, yes, another android/iPhone thread.

I've had this phone for a week. It's fun, it's fast and pretty seamless with anything I use on it.

I bought this time to mostly use for music and text though. I put music on the memory card as soon as I got home. I have all my music ripped as wma files onto my computer. After about 35-50 seconds the music stops (doesn't pause, like press play before unlocking phone and the song starts over). Doesn't matter if the screen is off or not. I've checked all the settings for power save, music, etc, STILL does it. Tried removing the music and then adding different music. Still does it. Before I go to Verizon bitching about this concern does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, I'm certain it's an operator error.

I've only had two other issues with the phone. One is when unlocking screen after turning screen back on the phone has reset a couple time. The other is just today I've tapped the screen in one spot and a different spot on the screen will highlight and select. I'm not fat fingering, or accidentally touching that part before the part I want selected.

The things I DO like though is that I can kick on Wi-Fi in my house and insta connect to my wireless and browse on my phone wherever nice and quickly.

The applications are great, blackberry doesn't have shit on this. They are actually useable and easily obtainable/installable. The phone is also stupid fast, too.

The keyboard is very easy to use, the top buttons are hard to press though with the Body Glove protective cover I have. They could have added a larger gap above the keyboard and screen part that slides for covers.

Camera is great, it loads quickly and focus' very well. The pictures save stupid fast so I can snap another shot quickly unlike the POS blackberry I had.

The phone audio quality is great. The speaker on the back gets loud for ringing when i'm at work, and the earpiece sounds clear and is easy to adjust volume for the people who like to talk softly or with their phone down their throat.

There's lots of other small things I really like about the phone, all in all I'm pleased. I am glad with my choice and wouldn't get a different phone for what I use it for so long as I get the music player fixed.

Cliffnotes

-Audio player on Droid 2 doesn't work properly

-Phone reset a couple times

-Other than those few things the phone is great

Anyone have any ideas?

Convert your WMA files to mp3. Android doesn't natively support WMA files. You're running motoblur and god knows what the fuck it's doing, probably has some half assed WMA support...motoblur :nono: worst thing that's ever happened to android.

I use winamp for my music player, it syncs over wifi and it might even play wma files

Yes you need to put MP3 files on there.

If you can't do that try audio galaxy. Right now its free and it converts wma, mp3, flac and something else and streams to your phone. All you need is a small program running on your computer and connected to the internet for it to work. It is super easy. I don't use pandora or slacker radio anymore.

Convert your WMA files to mp3. Android doesn't natively support WMA files. You're running motoblur and god knows what the fuck it's doing, probably has some half assed WMA support...motoblur :nono: worst thing that's ever happened to android.

I use winamp for my music player, it syncs over wifi and it might even play wma files

I put the google music app you linked a week or so ago on my phone, does it in that application. Tried winamp, winamp does it as well. I guess I will try to convert the wma to mp3 then upload to phone.

I have launcher pro, best thing since sliced bread for the android.

I'll look into applanet and audio galaxy right meow. Thanks for the help guys.

PS, took the phone into Verizon tonight to see if they had anything. Did an update that was released yesterday and it still does the media player issue but have not had the issue with unlocking yet (only unlocked like 4 times since i've been back from the store.

Sooooooo glad I have the droid though. An iPhone would have cost me about 100 bucks in all the apps I've downloaded, also would have run a lot slower, and when I needed some customer service I wouldn't have gotten any.

:thumbup: Verizon (Easton and Polaris stores) and Motorola!

Your phone shouldnt be doing that. Did it happen as soon as you took it out of the box or did it gradually get worse? A lot of times apps that are downloaded cause the phone to act up. You have 30 days to take it back. You could wipe the phone to see if that helps or just get a new one at no charge. It may seem like a little issue now but it will probably eat away at you if it keeps happening or gets worse. Just wait for the one time you need to make a quick important call and the phone shuts off on you...

I'm trolling tonight... So quick reply.

It happened as soon as I got the phone. The guy at Verizon store Easton tonight (Branden) said if this update didn't fix any of the issues to take it back in and he will do a back up of the phone and then a hard reset. It's been documented that I was in there tonight for this issue so if I have these issues down the road I'll use tonight as my excuse to get out of the phone. I have high hopes for it getting resolved and keeping the phone I have right now though, I'm sure it's a software and not hardware problem.

I'm trolling tonight... So quick reply.

It happened as soon as I got the phone. The guy at Verizon store Easton tonight (Branden) said if this update didn't fix any of the issues to take it back in and he will do a back up of the phone and then a hard reset. It's been documented that I was in there tonight for this issue so if I have these issues down the road I'll use tonight as my excuse to get out of the phone. I have high hopes for it getting resolved and keeping the phone I have right now though, I'm sure it's a software and not hardware problem.

Just an fyi, if you wait past 30 days you could be in for some stress so dont rely on the note. Good luck with everything, good to hear you like the phone. android for life :D

Update:

Ripped a CD to my computer as MP3 format. Put onto the droid and it still stopped after about the same amount of time.

Audiogalaxy did not sync with all of the music in my "my music" folder. WTH?

Applanet doesn't have anything different from my market, actually, the search is MUCH shittier and yields less results.

Droidforums clearly doesn't have as many trolls as CR does... hours have gone by and my thread only has 6 reads. no replies in the sub forum for hours. weak.

if it's not resolved by the weekend i'll be in the verizon store, again.

UPDATE:

Problem SOLVED

Had to remove "Gallery" from the auto-end list in "Task Manager"... Who would have known, I KNEW it had to be something easy though! I'm relieved my phone is finally 100%.