Learn me diesels

nurkvinny

References:

http://www.tdiclub.com/

Enjoy the read if you have time.

Looks like a good read. I have to head out, but i'll read it later.

However that isn't from an unbiased source. I'm sure if you get on templeofvtec, you are going to read a bunch of articles on how Hondas are the best race cars in the world.

I have never DD'ed a diesel-anything before. I know enough to be dangerous.

Do the diesels - in general - get the real-life mpg advantage that you always hear about? Can I really see 45+ mpg out of smaller turbo, or even non-turbo diesel cars? Are they a PITA in the winter? Are they a pain to maintain?

Feel free to add any personal experience / likes / dislikes.

Thanks.

PS, looking at DD cars, not trucks, as I am happy with the current Ram (for now)

Are you thinking new, or used?

In regards to VW diesels, they are truly cool cars. I know that the new ones start up immediately, even in cold weather like it was today. No more having to pull the choke to turn on the glow plugs. And yes, you will see 45+ as long as you are not driving it like a lunatic 24/7. I've got a couple diesel customers getting high 30s/low 40s in 90% city driving after the car has some miles on them, which is damn good. If you can find the 1.9, you'll get better, but that comes at the cost of power. The newer 2.0s are ridiculously torquey and every since person who drives them is blown away by the power.

As far as maintenance, maybe Jones can answer them better, but I can ask my service guys about them as well and get you some real insight. I'm still learning about the VW diesels and their history. I know several people who are on their 3, 4 or even 5th Jetta diesel and won't buy another car. There are a couple techs who also drive older diesels and swear by them.

Hopefully I've been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Are you thinking new, or used?

In regards to VW diesels, they are truly cool cars. I know that the new ones start up immediately, even in cold weather like it was today. No more having to pull the choke to turn on the glow plugs. And yes, you will see 45+ as long as you are not driving it like a lunatic 24/7. I've got a couple diesel customers getting high 30s/low 40s in 90% city driving after the car has some miles on them, which is damn good. If you can find the 1.9, you'll get better, but that comes at the cost of power. The newer 2.0s are ridiculously torquey and every since person who drives them is blown away by the power.

As far as maintenance, maybe Jones can answer them better, but I can ask my service guys about them as well and get you some real insight. I'm still learning about the VW diesels and their history. I know several people who are on their 3, 4 or even 5th Jetta diesel and won't buy another car. There are a couple techs who also drive older diesels and swear by them.

Hopefully I've been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

On the PD diesels (2004+ IIRC) the only thing to be wary of is premature cam wear. This is mainly due to oil choices and change intervals. The most reliable tdi to date is widely considered to be a 2003 Manual.

I know numerous people with PD motors that have had no issues, you just have to ensure you change the oil with a PROPER diesel oil at the designated intervals. If buying a PD motor used, be sure to have cam wear inspected by a shop.

In regard to the 2.0 TDI's they are the most NON Diesel sounding/feeling TDI to date in a US car. Exceptional torque and response.

Edited by Jones