PS3 Jailbreak!

MiDe84

New Firmware is out but not yet a new Custom Firmware. At the moment I would stay away from the jailbreak if you have not already done it.

I know a few of you guys out there have a PS3. I figured I would post this since I have not seen anything about in on this forum. This will be a sort of how to guide.

Step 1

Go download a few files.

Jailbreak CFW

Gaia Manager

Step 2 (You can do this as you are waiting for the downloads to finish)

Make sure you have the system software 3.55. If your not sure what one you have go to "Settings", "System Settings", and then "System information" it should say 3.55 if not go update your software via the online software update method.

Step 3

Take the Jailbreak file and put it on a usb flash drive with the following file path.

/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Take the Gaia Manager file and extract from it the file that ends in GAMES.PKG somewhere.

place that file in the root directory of the flash drive with the following path.

/UP0001-GAIA01985_00-7679866932773369-GAMES.pkg

Step 4

Plug your USB flash drive into your PS3 and got to the Settings section of the XMB, choose "System Update", and then "Update via Storage Media" choose the firmware thats shown and let it do its update process.

Make sure you do not reboot, turn off, or unplug anything as this completes.

Step 5

Now that your on the hacked firmware you have a new option under Games its called "Install Package Files" Press X on that and you should see listed "UP0001-GAIA01985_00-7679866932773369-GAMES.pkg" Press X on that and it will install.

Step 6

In the Games section you should now have a game called Gaia Manager Open that up and insert one of your games. Press O to backup the game to your harddrive.

WOO HOO you now have the game saved on the hard drive.

To use this all you have to do is open up Gaia Managerm, select the game you wish to play, and then hit X.

If it works correctly then it should go back to your XMB and you should now see the game you chose as being loaded up and ready to play.

The only trick you have to remember is you have to leave a real game in the BD rom. I usually just leave Sports Champions in there.

I have 8 Games currently backed up and its working great. You might wanna upgrade your hard drive however. I have 500gigs and I feel like im gonna use it up really fast. Example Little Big Planet 2 is a little over 18 gigs.

If you ever get stuck on a black screen then turn your PS3 completely off and restart. That means if you have a FAT PS3 flipping the power switch in the back off and on & if you have a Slim then unplugging it from its power source. Once in reboots it should work just fine.

So whats the benefit to all this? Well you don't have to swap discs anymore and if you have a 7200 rpm or better hard drive it should load games faster than off the disc.

If you have any questions let me know ill try and help out the best I can. I take no responsibility for anyone's fuck ups. Nor do I take responsibility for any kind of PSN ban (that is really really really unlikely)

If you want to know more about the jailbreak and other things you can do with it as well as more advanced things you can do with Gaia then check out this site ps3-hacks.com

:D

Edited by SRTmike08

Does this hack ONLY allow you to load games to the HD, or does it help with other issues, such as disabling the Cinavia check, or allowing HD audio to be streamed without converting it to LPCM?

In my post I only talked about the game manager. There is other software that is coming out. There is a bunch of emulators if you wanna play some old games. nothing like Super Mario Bros 3 to bring back some memorys.

About the Cinavia I dont see any kind of counter measure for it at the moment without converting. This jailbreak stuff is less than a month old so im sure more and more will come out. I bet someone will come up with some sort of Cinavia crack at some point.

What about my dvd's.. will this allow me to start saving them...

I put a DVD into my PS3 and neither Gaia or Multiman would see it to let me copy it. That is a good idea though. I'm sure it will happen with some time. I know a lot of people who would love to turn the PS3 into a DVD library.

I haven't done ANY research into this, so I have a few questions:

1. Can I download game ISO, burn them to a BD-RE, and upload them to my hard drive?

2. Any reports of people bricking their PS3?

3. Mention of PS3 going to a black screen and requiring rebooting. 95% of my PS3 use is as a Blu-ray player and media streaming device. Is this common? Rebooting my PS3 every couple hours, for instance, wouldn't be acceptable to me.

4. Can the PS3 take anything over a 500GB hard drive yet? Or accept an external USB drive?

I haven't done ANY research into this, so I have a few questions:

1. Can I download game ISO, burn them to a BD-RE, and upload them to my hard drive?

Yes you can. I downloaded Red Dead Redemption and it worked great. You just have to make sure what ever you download it says it has the original eboot file included. You don't have to worry about burning anything. I FTP the games I download from my computer to my PS3. Gaia as well as MultiMan have FTP servers built in.

2. Any reports of people bricking their PS3?

Yes the prior CFW (Custome Firmware) did have some bricking issues. kmeaw's firmware has been fairly smooth. Any bricks with that would be odd.

3. Mention of PS3 going to a black screen and requiring rebooting. 95% of my PS3 use is as a Blu-ray player and media streaming device. Is this common? Rebooting my PS3 every couple hours, for instance, wouldn't be acceptable to me.

Its not perfect but it works great. I have a older fat PS3 and I only get black screens sometimes when I load up Multiman. Once you get a game or movie going its smooth running. I played Black Ops today for a few hours then switched to Red Dead Redemption and played a few more hours. No problems.

4. Can the PS3 take anything over a 500GB hard drive yet? Or accept an external USB drive?

Yea anything that fits in a 2.5 slot should work. Just watch out for those 1TB 2.5 inch drives. They tend to be thicker then normal.

You can use a USB drive however your limited to FAT32. Fat32 only allows up to 4GB files and I have a few games that have files much larger than 4GB.

To give you an example of what a few games looks like:

CODBlackOps, GranTurismo5, LittleBigPlanet2, & RedDeadRedemptionUC = 65.5GB

Im curious of the reliability of these too, and will the games still work online? any report of people getting psn banned?

Works good. I played Black Ops online today for a bunch of hours. Will I get banned? No one knows for sure however I bet it will play out a lot like the PSP did. They did not ban any PSP they just revised the hardware without the exploit in it. Who knows maybe older PS3 will be worth their weight in gold. ;)

But here is how im gonna look at it. I have 1 PS3 and if it does get banned at any point I will leave that one offline for single player games. Ill get another one for online.

Edited by SRTmike08