HP - BS.

evan9381

a little over a year ago (end of oct, 09), i bought a brand new hp g60. has done anything i need it to, which isnt much, so its more than sufficient.

ive always been good to charge it, then run it off battery, and not to leave it plugged in all the time when using it

a couple weeks ago, i get a red X over my battery icon saying "consider replacing your battery"...go to the hp website, find out how to go into support assistant, do a battery check, and its telling me "based on the charge capacity of your battery, it has reached the end of its useful life. you should replace the battery at your earliest convienence"

REALLY? a 15 month old computer that gets moderate usage has a shitty battery already? are they serious?

and of course, this happens 3 months after the manufacturers warranty is up. fml.

hmm...so i wonder if a new battery would even help then. i unplugged this at 17 minutes ago and its already down to 74%...just odd since it just started happening...its not like its been progressively getting worse, it was just BOOM. done.

Go to batteries plus and buy a new one. Problem solved. Or dont buy another HP. Get a real computer.

probably not...reading around online, people have swapped in brand new batteries and the issue is still present. thanks, but IMO, you're an idiot. like i said, the computer does everything i need it to do. theres no sense in buying a whole new computer or a "real" computer. theres always solutions to problems, and buying a new computer is an expensive, and stupid solution. ill get this fixed one way or another. it just may take some time.

First of all. Im not an idiot. Secondly, i see this all the time at work. HP batteries are terrible as mentioned above. And i never said go buy a new computer. I said never buy another HP. I said to go buy a new battery for cheap. Either at batteries plus or off of ebay. Please read carefully next time. Thanks :-)

The best thing to do for a battery is not to use it. The more you plug it in, charge it and drain it, the less it will work. Especially if youve cycled it a few hundred times of 15 months.

probably not...reading around online, people have swapped in brand new batteries and the issue is still present. thanks, but IMO, you're an idiot. like i said, the computer does everything i need it to do. theres no sense in buying a whole new computer or a "real" computer. theres always solutions to problems, and buying a new computer is an expensive, and stupid solution. ill get this fixed one way or another. it just may take some time.

I've also seen that too where the battery just won't charge. It was a system board for the notebook. Put the battery in another laptop and it charged fine and held a charge. Might want to try to find another laptop and try that one and see if it charges. Again. We saw this on Dell laptops a lot.

You aren't supposed to fully discharge lithium ion batteries, this kills them. You are better off leaving it plugged in all the time, and making sure to cycle it a couple times a month, a cycle could be draining it 50% one day, then 50% another day.

HP batteries are junk, but you probably helped it die.

• 2 months later...

just to update - finally got a new battery...was one of the things i planned to do with tax refund money, which i forgot was on the list until last week

ordered the battery sunday night via amazon, got it in the mail today...12 cell, extended life battery. was like $56 with shipping, but got $30 off for opening an amazon CC (which i'll never use again, lol), so really $26.

kinda pissed because a couple reviews said it had the charging port on the battery like HP 12 cells do, but it doesnt. i was really hoping for this due to the fact that the little plastic clip that holds the AC port in place inside the computer snapped off (heard it rattling around for the longest time) and the AC port is very loose...it'll still hold the plug, it just worries me that its not really held into place.

replace battery soon icon is gone, so its nice not to look down and see that anymore.

now i just gotta hope that this battery last more than ~15 months. i guess if it doesnt and i can snag another one for $26, that wouldnt be too horrible