So it's been 7 years since I've sold my last car... I've forgotten everything

Science Abuse

Selling a car to a guy in Tennesee who's goign to part it out and scrap it.

I know I fill out the back of the title... but when are the notaries and vehicle inspections involved?

This car will fail inspection in pretty much any sate.:cool:

its only going to need inspected if he wants to drive it. if he's parting it out, no big deal.

The inspection is usually just a vin check anyway unless he lives around a huge city or the state has e-check rules. Anyway, as the others have said, that's on the buyer not you. I personally would not sign the title until you know for certain he is taking it.

Let me ad this bit of info, things have changed a little bit. Here is the idea behind having the buyer present when you have your signature notarized.

LEGALLY a notary CANNOT notarize your signature unless the information of the buyer is filled out at the top of the title at the time of notarization. This is because people "title skip" meaning the guy you sell it too never puts it in his name and re-sells the car to avoid paying taxes/transferring the title.

This brings in the 2nd complication, say you have the buyers info, you fill out the top get it notarized and bam buyer is a no show. Now YOU pay the expense of getting a new title made because you have a filled out title in the name of someone who isn't buying the car. Typically I do not notarize a title unless 1 of the 3 criteria are met.

1. The unknown buyer has made a downpayment large enough to cover if he no shows getting a new title and the waste of my time.

2. The unknown buyer has paid in full (typically this means that the buyer is there when it gets notarized)

3. I personally know the buyer and have full confidence that they are going to pay me.

Just a FYI, take it for what you will I am sure I may get flamed for my methods, but it saves my ass every time which is what counts and it's LEGAL.