Image a world without drivers licenses

El Karacho1647545492

Because apparently that is one Georgia legislator's dreamland

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26675368/detail.html

I cannot believe we allow idiots like this guy to run government. Oh well, democracy is a double-edged sword.

"CBS Atlanta's Rebekka Schramm asked Franklin, “How are we going to keep up with who’s who and who’s on the roads and who’s not supposed to be on the roads?”

“That’s a great question," Franklin said. "And I would have to answer that with a question, ‘Why do you need to know who’s who?’”

“What about 12-14-year-olds who want to drive? What would stop them?" Schramm asked.

“Well, what’s stopping them now anyway?” Franklin answered."

A truly great politician; never giving a straight answer

He doesn't really believe in this. Its the same thing they are trying to do in South Dakota with mandatory gun ownership. Just an eye opener and a waste of time.

i can't decide which is more infuriating:

-that this guy actually believes the right to drive is inalienable (not unalienable lol) for all americans

-or that he thinks its a wise use of taxpayer dollars (aka his salary) to spend time in this shit.

Because apparently that is one Georgia legislator's dreamland

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26675368/detail.html

I cannot believe we allow idiots like this guy to run government. Oh well, democracy is a double-edged sword.

"CBS Atlanta's Rebekka Schramm asked Franklin, “How are we going to keep up with who’s who and who’s on the roads and who’s not supposed to be on the roads?”

“That’s a great question," Franklin said. "And I would have to answer that with a question, ‘Why do you need to know who’s who?’”

“What about 12-14-year-olds who want to drive? What would stop them?" Schramm asked.

“Well, what’s stopping them now anyway?” Franklin answered."

A truly great politician; never giving a straight answer

lol Makes more sense than you think. ;)

This guy actually makes an interesting point. What stops anyone from driving anyway? Do the police not pull over people all the time that are driving on a suspended license? In a better world we could depend on other people watching out for other people on the road and elsewhere and not on an arbitrary plastic square that costs money and time to create/ regulate and somehow means that I am safely operating this equipment.

This guy actually makes an interesting point. What stops anyone from driving anyway? Do the police not pull over people all the time that are driving on a suspended license? In a better world we could depend on other people watching out for other people on the road and elsewhere and not on an arbitrary plastic square that costs money and time to create/ regulate and somehow means that I am safely operating this equipment.

what stops people from driving is the knowledge that there are consequences if you get caught. And even that guy with a suspended license at least had a license at one point so [ostensibly] has some knowledge of the laws of the country/state.

and do you REALLY want an unlicensed, entitled, cell-phone addicted 15 year old girl driving an escalade esv on the same roads you're driving on? because no one would be stopping that from happening because she has the right to drive

Just some quick perspective for people who think reducing licensing restrictions is a good idea.

2007 CDC stats show that over 12,000 people died that year to guns, and over 42,000 died to motor vehicle accidents. That's nearly a 4:1 ratio. Let that sink in a bit before saying we should make it easier for people to drive.

what stops people from driving is the knowledge that there are consequences if you get caught. And even that guy with a suspended license at least had a license at one point so [ostensibly] has some knowledge of the laws of the country/state.

and do you REALLY want an unlicensed, entitled, cell-phone addicted 15 year old girl driving an escalade esv on the same roads you're driving on? because no one would be stopping that from happening because she has the right to drive

Let me be clear here. I am not saying that we should abolish drivers certifications. I am unsure if I view driving as a "right" or not because I don't think that is really as simple as an issue that people like to make it. All I am saying is that it costs money to print these things and replace them and what not and we don't really need the physical plastic. There could be perhaps a "suspension list" or something like that. Having a card in my possession does not in anyway relate to my driving skill or lack thereof. You will notice this by looking around as you drive.

I can see where they guy is coming from and I find his ideas interesting although possibly not the most practical in our current society, that is all.

Let me be clear here. I am not saying that we should abolish drivers certifications. I am unsure if I view driving as a "right" or not because I don't think that is really as simple as an issue that people like to make it. All I am saying is that it costs money to print these things and replace them and what not and we don't really need the physical plastic. There could be perhaps a "suspension list" or something like that. Having a card in my possession does not in anyway relate to my driving skill or lack thereof. You will notice this by looking around as you drive.

I can see where they guy is coming from and I find his ideas interesting although possibly not the most practical in our current society, that is all.

Ah understood. So you're more against the concept of requiring a physical identification card in any way.

Ah understood. So you're more against the concept of requiring a physical identification card in any way.

To be honest I have never really thought about it before so I'm not sure quite how I feel about it. The card itself is kind of obsolete and I bet it costs quite a bit of money/ time to create and maintain them. All our info is in the police database anyway, not to mention on facebook. They look it up to verify if they stop you. I am also against texting laws and all this business as well. We already have laws against reckless driving so why micromanage it?