The 2012 Bentley Continental GT: Is anyone here a fan of these?

Doc1647545523

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-litre, W-12, twin-turbo motor makes 567 bhp and 516 lb/ft or torque, AWD quickshift 6-speed ZF automatic with paddle shifters enable double downshifts, shift time is 200 milliseconds, rev matches on downshifts. Zero to sixty in 4.4 secs, top speed 198 mph.

Is anyone here into these cars? I have a hidden motive for asking ...... :confused:

I went for a spin in one of the older ones (as the passenger). It was EXTREMELY comfortable. Down low I would like more torque, but once it gets going its pretty impressive. For a daily driver I would say yes if I had the money. The feeling of riding on a cloud with the extra power when needed would be awesome. For a fun car I would say no based on the price, weight, and its so comfortable you dont feel like you're going anywhere. For the price you could get a supercar with less weight and better handling. I absolutely love the styling, interior, all the Bently perks based on the video and pics. The car is all kind of badass! If I sold all of my cars and had to get just one in that price range this would be top 4.

Considering all the love, and drool, for the GTC in this thread, I'll probably be banned for this, but:

I'd rather have the Aston Martin DBS. Lighter, a bit more cornering performance, and frankly, I think it looks better. But that's just my opinion.

This being CR I'm surprised no one has said this yet, but 567 HP out of a TT W12 is pretty conservative. I'm sure to meet their noise requirements they have pretty high back pressure on the exhaust. Think what that thing would do with downpipes and exhaust work! :p

This being CR I'm surprised no one has said this yet, but 567 HP out of a TT W12 is pretty conservative. I'm sure to meet their noise requirements they have pretty high back pressure on the exhaust. Think what that thing would do with downpipes and exhaust work! :p

I thought of that, but voiding the warranty on a car that pricey scares me... but then again I was thinking of upgrading the turbo, exhaust, etc :lol:

Check what happens with DP/Exhaust/Flash.

They gain like a 100hp+ with a flash alone...

I'll probably be banned for this, but:

I'd rather have the Aston Martin DBS. Lighter, a bit more cornering performance, and frankly, I think it looks better. But that's just my opinion.

Hell no,you won't....

I think Aston makes hands down, the sexiest cars ever made. They know what cars are supposed to look like.

Considering all the love, and drool, for the GTC in this thread, I'll probably be banned for this, but:

I'll be very happy with a DB9

His recent acquisition was a Flying Spur, think that but with 4 doors. (Phaeton Chassis)

Actually the Phaeton, Continental Flying Spur and Continental GT are all built on the same platform: the VW D1. The interior of the Flying Spur is so much more roomy, though. I'm sorry I don't have any photos yet of my Spur (other than the wheels that WheelMedic did for me); the weather's not been very cooperative in the last few months.

You're in good company. In reviewing the CGT Supersport, Clarkson came to the conclusion that if you want a speedboat, buy a speedboat (DBS), don't try to make an oceanliner (Bentley) into a speedboat.

Here's the Top Gear video:

You're right, it's tuned very conservatively. As Jones said, just a flash changing some of the limits can give you 50-100 more horses and still keep the car well-mannered and safe. I've talked to some of the people who tune these cars (GIAC, PES, and RSC) and they say that there isn't a lot to gain by reducing back pressure, although they are are happy to do custom downpipes and exhaust if you want.

Yeah, that's the stuff. :)

Great video on the Aston Martin DBS Carbon Black, but now you're comparing apples to oranges. The Carbon Black is 100 grand more than the 2012 CGT. Clearly it's the better track car. A better grand tourer? I'm not sure I'd trust any Aston to get me coast-to-coast without problems, whereas the Continental series has a great reputation for reliability. However, I agree, it's a very cool car.

Actually the Phaeton, Continental Flying Spur and Continental GT are all built on the same platform: the VW D1. The interior of the Flying Spur is so much more roomy, though. I'm sorry I don't have any photos yet of my Spur (other than the wheels that WheelMedic did for me); the weather's not been very cooperative in the last few months.

Yes, they all share the D1, but the Phaeton was unfortunately the only vehicle I thought that he might have seen in the wild as a size reference.

Mind you, I've only seen a 1/2 dozen Phaetons personally in circulation, maybe 2-3 CGT's and Zero Spur's (sans Mag Showroom).

This is Columbus, not San Diego. :(

I've also never even been close to sitting in something that nice to really know what they're like.

I'd like to just ride in one to see what a real interior is like.

If either of you had attended my open house, you would have had your chance--MAG was kind enough to bring a CGT and give test drives. :p

Nope and yep. Don't have a CGT, but I have a Continental Flying Spur. And yes, you can drive it. Just ask me at a meet and you can take it out. Cordell drove it after cars and coffee for about 25 miles about 6 weeks ago and said it was almost as nice as his F-body. :)

I started the thread to see if anyone was hot on the 2012 CGT, not because I have one or plan on buying one.

Nope and yep. Don't have a CGT, but I have a Continental Flying Spur. And yes, you can drive it. Just ask me at a meet and you can take it out. Cordell drove it after cars and coffee for about 25 miles about 6 weeks ago and said it was almost as nice as his F-body. :)

I started the thread to see if anyone was hot on the 2012 CGT, not because I have one or plan on buying one.

Damn Doc! Nice scoot! What color?

KillJoy