Core i7 950 Temps - Chime in

TTQ B4U

Been playing with my new i7 950 but and have thus far overclocked her to 3.68GHz with zero issues and temps barely hitting 115*F (46*C) in any of the 8 cores. My question is what is the range typically best to stay within? I've read 150-175* F is the top to very top range and to avoid it if possible.

What are your thoughts / experiences?

Edited by TTQ B4U

wow at first i thought you were talking in C. anything less than 140F while under load is

good. idles should be in the 90 F range

Cool (pun intended). I'm setting my initial notification at 150*F and the alarms to go off if she hits 175*F.

I can't see her hitting those levels though. Will keep an eye on her. I'm not likely going any higher.

Seems everyone refers to CPU temps in C, so use that as a reference.

My goal is to keep my 920 under 80C. Normally stay at mid-high 70's when running the CPU @ 100% for extended periods. That said, this is actually cooler than it was running on stock settings / stock heat sink. That may have been caused by me just slapping it on with the pre-applied paste vs. using a good thermal paste.

Mine idles around 40 C. But with these CPU's, the temp readings aren't acurate at low temps, but become more accurate the higher you go, so I wouldn't put too much thought into idle temps.

Also, how are you load testing? I've found my best load is simply compressing a Blu-ray with BD Rebuilder, as that will have all 4 cores running 100% (BTW, you have 4 cores, not 8).

My goal is to keep my 920 under 80C. Normally stay at mid-high 70's when running the CPU @ 100% for extended periods. That said, this is actually cooler than it was running on stock settings / stock heat sink. That may have been caused by me just slapping it on with the pre-applied paste vs. using a good thermal paste.

Good to know.

Mine idles around 40 C. But with these CPU's, the temp readings aren't acurate at low temps, but become more accurate the higher you go, so I wouldn't put too much thought into idle temps.

Mine's the same 40*C at idle.

Also, how are you load testing? I've found my best load is simply compressing a Blu-ray with BD Rebuilder, as that will have all 4 cores running 100% (BTW, you have 4 cores, not 8).

You're load testing it more than me. I did so doing what I noted in post 1 but PS Processing including 3 sets of 5 16 bit images being pushed through my HDR Software. that's 15 100mb images being blended. Highest I hit was about 75% usage and temps at 56*C / 125-133*F

80C is a good target. TJmax may be 100 but you risk damage running there, best to have a safety buffer and call it 80C.

Check.

CPUs will take way more heat than that. the Intel ATOM in my HTPC runs at 170+ degrees Fahrenheit almost 24/7 and has been doing so for over a year. When it was being used with TV tuners it would creep up to boiling temps.

I don't worry about that system at all, because its within the specifications :)

CPUs will take way more heat than that. the Intel ATOM in my HTPC runs at 170+ degrees Fahrenheit almost 24/7 and has been doing so for over a year. When it was being used with TV tuners it would creep up to boiling temps.

I don't worry about that system at all, because its within the specifications :)

Redline is within "specifications" also, but is it a good idea to run around everywhere tagging the rev limiter?

Redline is within "specifications" also, but is it a good idea to run around everywhere tagging the rev limiter?

Probably wouldn't run it at redline all the time if my computer operated like this one.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/differen.jpg