Helmet opinions

progrmr

I just got the cruiser and all my current gear is sportbike in style.

I'm considering switching up to a 3/4 open face - I mean, I'm not exactly tearing up the roads on my vulcan, and for some reason I just don't feel right on my cruiser with a full face.

Same for my jacket - kawi sportbike jacket.

Guessing I need to buy a leather jacket at a minimum, but I don't know much about 3/4 helmets. Anyone here ride a cruiser and go with less than a full face? What are some considerations for a 3/4?

No, I'm no squid! But I look like a sportbike rider on a cruiser LOL

approximately 19% of wrecks happen to the jaw area during impact.... However if you still want to go with a open face most brands make a model. I see you are in Columbus so stop up to pony and I can show you the different options. I recommend the Shoei RJ-Air Platinum R for open face helmets. I will be working on Sunday if you want to stop in and look.

Thanks,

Nick

Yea, I've been thinking about just getting a solid color full face too. I have taken a few rocks on the road in my full face and thought "man, that would've hurt if I didn't have my lid on"

Meh, might be time to put the Yikes III up for a few dollars and buy a full face solid color lid instead.

approximately 19% of wrecks happen to the jaw area during impact.... However if you still want to go with a open face most brands make a model. I see you are in Columbus so stop up to pony and I can show you the different options. I recommend the Shoei RJ-Air Platinum R for open face helmets. I will be working on Sunday if you want to stop in and look.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick what do you think about that new Shark Evoline.

Full OR 3/4. Also has an internal sun visor.

SHARK_EVOLINE_ABSOLUTE_LIVE200.gif

Black leather jacket' date=' black gloves, black full-face helmet, tinted shield. Trust me.[/quote']

You buy the type with the reinforced shoulders/arms/back? That's one thing I like about my kawi jacket - and when I did crash my shoulder took one hell of a shot. It was a fieldsheer jacket, but that reinforced shoulder save me a lot of pain.

jacket.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

I'd go with what Nick here says. He showed me the way of the Shoei & I love it. Much more that the HJC line I was almost limited to due to size.

Thanks Nick.

Nick what do you think about that new Shark Evoline.

Full OR 3/4. Also has an internal sun visor.

SHARK_EVOLINE_ABSOLUTE_LIVE200.gif

The new Shark is an interesting helmet...We do have them in stock to check out. They retail for 399 I believe. As far as my opinion on it...

As far as pros:

It is the only modular helmet that is meant for the front to be up to ride with. It is a nice feature to be able to convert it from a full face helmet back to a 3/4. As you are seeing a lot of helmet manufacturers follow the trend with the internal sunshield you do see this in this model. This can be beneficial as you don't have to worry about wearing sunglasses. Also it has a fully removable liner that is made of a moisture whicking material. The helmet also uses a metal locking pin closure, where as in your lower end models they are only held together by plastic clips. Lastly it is the only modular type helmet that holds a higher safety rating then DOT, where this one holds DOT and ECE.

As far as cons:

Ventilation is minimal.

Weight is a concern. I have also read a couple of reviews on WebBikeWorld that with the chin bar in the back it throws of the weight.

Also I have hear as far as noise it can be quite loud.

These cons are typical in any modular on the market for the most part(minus the Shoei some what)

My personal opinion on the helmet. I think it will be a good option for someone that is doing a lot of touring and likes the vast options available in this helmet. I have it showcased in the store in all four formats you can wear it.

For the average street rider though, I don't think it would be one of your best options. I personally am not a fan of modular helmets. People have the misconception that the are as safe as a full face. Unfortunately that is not true. I can not tell you how many times I have heard of the front chin bar popping open upon impact. I have had a customer come in after he wrecked with one and have his face being chewed off. Trust me the sight of his face would be enough reason for anyone to get a full face. To say the lease that is what he was there for.

You can find a much better full face for the money that will be better in comfort, safety, ventilation, aerodynamics, weight, etc.

If you have any other question feel free to pm me.

Sorry for the long post.

I'd go with what Nick here says. He showed me the way of the Shoei & I love it. Much more that the HJC line I was almost limited to due to size.

Thanks Nick.

No problem, I am glad to see you went with it and are happy with it. Trust me you will continue to wear them for years to come.

buy a full face bro- you have already went dowm....imagine going down when you did and hitting your chin/jaw on a curb,boulder,stump,car,or tree..if your looking for the best bang for the buck, go hjc..i love mine...if you want the best go arai, love mine..cant go wrong either way

Actually when I crashed my head was the only thing that didn't touch the pavement. And I slid behind the bike like superman for about 10-15 feet!

Still, that doesn't mean it can't happen again and that next time that part of my face would be exposed.

Think I'll buy the jacket first since its more expensive, then get a solid color full face.

This is always a conflict for me... Comfort wise I would much prefer to be a squidly idiot with sandals, shorts, tank-top and a pair of Oakleys to round it off, HOWEVER, intellectually I know this is six kinds of retarded and at least 3 kinds of foolish, SO I don't dress very "cool" I'm afraid...

I definitely recommend the minimum of boots, heavy pants, and an armored jacket. I like my full face mask for comfort in cold, rain and at high speed, but I love my skid-lid in the summer, especially on the cruiser. Gotta let all the ladies see the twinkle in my eye and the sneer on my lips, you see...

Not as safe with a half shell, but considering the way I have lived and nearly ended my life over the years, it is an acceptable compromise to me over wearing NO helmet. (Oh, and I have walked away from lots of bad shit because of safety gear, just like seat belts and firearms, wearing it is only annoying until you need it, then there is no substitute for being prepared.)

GEDC0401sized.jpg?t=1237059015

hmmm well I guess I'd have to say I've been riding with a 1/2 helmet and a full face lid, I like my full face when the weather turns crappy , but in the heat of summer the half helmet is my friend, but I wear armored jackets all the time with heavy jeans and boots, sometimes chaps... I don't worry about catching rocks and such because of my windshield, but I do suppose I take a risk in a crash not wearing the full facer... it's a matter of personal preference really... do research find what works best for your situation, and don't be afraid to have more then one helmet.... I've got 4...

hmmm well I guess I'd have to say I've been riding with a 1/2 helmet and a full face lid, I like my full face when the weather turns crappy , but in the heat of summer the half helmet is my friend, but I wear armored jackets all the time with heavy jeans and boots, sometimes chaps... I don't worry about catching rocks and such because of my windshield, but I do suppose I take a risk in a crash not wearing the full facer... it's a matter of personal preference really... do research find what works best for your situation, and don't be afraid to have more then one helmet.... I've got 4...

+100 I wish I had a bigger budget for gear. I like to switch it up depending on what I am riding, to where, with whom, the weather and my general mood.... Need more money for gear too.... shit gets expensive.

I could keep the HJC and go with a 3/4 or 1/2 lid...it's one of those things - if I crash and eat it, it'll be my fault for not wearing a full face. But I kinda don't care - I'm not into living in fear of what might happen. I'm 39, single (twice divorced), no kids - nothin' but debt :) I figure the way I've lived, a 1/2 lid would suit me just right when the weather is right.

Edited by progrmr

I have a Nolan N102 modular that I wear 99% of the time, and a DOT skid lid for the short burst to the grocery store or slow cruising. If you go the modular route don't go bargain basement. My first modular was a Vega, and the closure pins for the chin piece were plastic. The first cool day (36 degrees) I put it on and closed the chin piece, the clips on both sides broke clean off. That's when I switched to the Nolan that uses stainless steel for their closure pins. As far as chin pieces flying open in a crash, all the research I've done points to plastic clips, and or single button releases on the chin piece. Those helmets w/push button releases stand a higher risk of failing in a crash upon impact, but the Nolan you have to squeeze both releases together to open the chin piece, so it's not likely to fly open upon impact.

Edited by AOW

I have a Nolan N102 modular that I wear 99% of the time, and a DOT skid lid for the short burst to the grocery store or slow cruising. If you go the modular route don't go bargain basement. My first modular was a Vega, and the closure pins for the chin piece were plastic. The first cool day (36 degrees) I put it on and closed the chin piece, the clips on both sides broke clean off. That's when I switched to the Nolan that uses stainless steel for their closure pins.

+1 on the vega... cheaper isn't always better...now the 19 dollar pony buys on the halfies is a good deal...

I do think the colors help drivers see ya so I'm a bit hesitant to buy stuff that's all one color. Even though I look weird with my kawi jacket on I have no doubt that people can see me better because of it.

I'm going to check those halfies out today :)