Hiatal Hernia Surgery

russian rocket

anyone on here ever have it done or know someone who has had it done?

i need to get it done and am sort of planing for it in early march, ill be getting it done laproscopicly but i have a couple concerns.

hows the recovery?

what do they consider heavy lifting?

i sell and lift chips for a living, can i go back after a week of recovery?

No advice, but I'd like to know how it goes and what is involved. My doctor told me I had symptoms of a mild hiatal hernia (I'm 22, he said it was probably stress/weight gain related). He put me on Prilosec and it works like a dream but I'm not sure I want to take it for the rest of my life.

I had an inguinal hernia a few years ago and lived with it for a little over a year. It was painful from time to time. When I had my surgery, they cut me open, put a patch over it, and sewed me up. I was down for 3 days and then was only able to lift 10 or so pounds for several weeks. I know that's a different hernia than what you have. Your doctor should have told you what to expect though.

I had an inguinal hernia a few years ago and lived with it for a little over a year. It was painful from time to time. When I had my surgery, they cut me open, put a patch over it, and sewed me up. I was down for 3 days and then was only able to lift 10 or so pounds for several weeks. I know that's a different hernia than what you have. Your doctor should have told you what to expect though.

Same here, twice, right and left side. Above pretty much sums it up. What ever you do, I hope you never have to sneeze while the stitches are still in. OMFG!!!!!!! Andvi hope you're not driving if you do sneeze. Horrible!

Other than that. Let your body recover the right way and I was back in the gym in 7 weeks.

he did tell me but i would rather hear it from people who actually got it done, a doctor can only express his feelings on it so much

Same here, twice, right and left side. Above pretty much sums it up. What ever you do, I hope you never have to sneeze while the stitches are still in. OMFG!!!!!!! Andvi hope you're not driving if you do sneeze. Horrible!

Other than that. Let your body recover the right way and I was back in the gym in 7 weeks.

I had to have the same incision opened up a second time because it somehow got infected. My doctor told me that if you have it on one side, chances are you'll get it on the other side at some point.

Oh gawd. The sneezing or coughing was the worst.