School me on Miatas.

Trouble Maker

We will be using this for some driver training at work.

What year is good? We are looking at used ones, but want lowish mileage and clean. It seems like there was a change at 1999, so that's what I was looking at. Seems like you can get these for $6-7k?

What all should we do to it when we get it?

Of course all of the usual maintenance stuff. Replace all of the brakes and pads with this, suspension with this, put this cage in it.

What about rim size, should we just get good tires for the 14" wheels if it still has those, or just ditch them right away and get 15" wheels and tires?

Anything I'm missing, or another place I should look for parts (that was the only Miata parts website I knew about).

1.) What year is good? We are looking at used ones, but want lowish mileage and clean. It seems like there was a change at 1999, so that's what I was looking at. Seems like you can get these for $6-7k?

2.)What about rim size, should we just get good tires for the 14" wheels if it still has those, or just ditch them right away and get 15" wheels and tires?

3.)Anything I'm missing, or another place I should look for parts (that was the only Miata parts website I knew about).

1.)My buddy has a '99 aka the NB, Miata's have simple chassis codes NA is the 1st gen, NB is the 2nd, and the NC is the current car. check for rust inside fenders, and under side skirts. Other than typical maintainence his car seems bulletproof. According to him, the NA's 1.6l motor feels a bit more lively than his 1.8l but I don't think it matters too greatly.

2.) He (and just about everyone else competitive) tends to run 15's, less sidewall to flex, and depending on the tires you're looking for, more selection. Are you going to run street tires or race tires? You can find all the big time street tires, Direzza Star Specs, Bridgestone RE11, etc in 15's.

3.) Miata.net, Goodwin Racing, and Corksport (they do every kind of Mazda) are a few I can name off the top of my head.

One of the best set-up cars I ever raced was a spec miata, granted the owner had an open check book it seems, but it was fantastic. Oh, and my Grandmother has one lol.

I would have one in a heart beat, just too many other things going on to worry about one.

Aside from the crank issue, the motor is fucking indestructible. Biggest rust area on mine is in front of the rear wheel well on each side, but it's been through quite a few winters.

For pretty good deals on used parts, I usually go to http://www.planet-miata.com . It's a Miata only junkyard in PA so the parts usually ship quick. Just make sure you double check that they have the right part number down that you want, they do all ordering over the phone and I've had some issues before. Nothing that they haven't made right though.

If you've got any specific questions send me a PM. If I don't know I can probably find out. Definitely check out http://www.miata.net and the forum there, it's a bunch of old people who don't have a sense of humor but there is a shitload of information there, especially in the "garage" section.