2011 cycling

evan9381

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Alum will stay closed for at least another month. Also to any of you riders who may not wear a helmet I must highly recommend you do after today. I have no doubt in my mind that it saved my ass today. 15-20mh head first into a tree.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/mckinney16/helmet.jpg

Yeah Alum will stay closed for at least another month. Also to any of you riders who may not wear a helmet I must highly recommend you do after today. I have no doubt in my mind that it saved my ass today. 15-20mh head first into a tree.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/mckinney16/helmet.jpg

I ran into a tree head first a few yrs ago at the creek crossing on phase 1. I always wear one.

Wow. Glad you're ok.

...I need to get a helmet. Recommendations?

Well that was a Rudy Project and was probably the most comfortable thing I have ever had on my head. I like the new Bontrager/Trek stuff but I am biased because we sell them. Whatever you do go to a bikeshop and get one that fits correctly, it may cost a little more but it is worth the proper fit and a small price to pay to save your life.

yea ive been having an amazing cycling season so far... an by cycling i mean motorcycling :lol:

gtfo off the road before i run you fuckers down after you all hit one of my mirrors :finger:

I agree gets frustrating when you live in the country and they block the whole road so i greet them with smoke and lots of it

Did someone say alum is closed? We plan to hit p1 p2 on Saturday or Sunday.

Yes, they close it this time of year because it holds so much water. It is usually closed until sometime in May. Somebody might want to go check because I think this may have changed.

Yes, they close it this time of year because it holds so much water. It is usually closed until sometime in May. Somebody might want to go check because I think this may have changed.

Damn!!

took my Jamis Ventura (9sp, STI shifters, tiagra/105 components) to bike source to get the "delux service" a couple weeks ago...yesterday, first ride since (weather)...

i had my headphones in most of the time, but when i took them out, i hear a clicking at the same point in the pedal rotation. it sounds like its inside the tube/frame. i cant find anything (derailers, pedals, chain, etc) thats hitting

then, about 1/2 mile before the end of my ~28 mile ride, i was going down a little bit of a hill, and my front derailer stopped working...the cable went loose, the derailer arm was pressed against the crank...got home, the cable isnt broken, it was still connected to the derailer

so i took the front derailer off, put it back on, got the cable tightened back down...when i try to shift to the mid sprocket, it moves about 1/2 way to it, and stops...if i click it again, it does nothing...if i move the lever to go back up to the large sprocket, it moves fine

its hard to explain since im not a bike mechanic...but it wont shift down to the mid or small sprocket.

rear derailer is working fine. both front/rear brakes are working fine

I have a feeling the shifter is bad and it is VERY common on shimano shifters, especially the lower level stuff. I don't think the clicking is related to this, that could be a pedal bearing or bottom bracket issue.

lower? isnt tiagra/105 kinda middle of the line (above sora/2200, below ultegra/dura ace)...im probably just gonna take it up there tomorrow and let him look at it...i didnt have an issue with any of those things until after the service...really the main thing i wanted done w/ that was to get the wheels trued, degreased/cleaned cogs, new brake pads, and the derailers adjusted just a bit (the front was rubbing on the chain no matter how i set it).

how much are new shifters?

lower? isnt tiagra/105 kinda middle of the line (above sora/2200, below ultegra/dura ace)...im probably just gonna take it up there tomorrow and let him look at it...i didnt have an issue with any of those things until after the service...really the main thing i wanted done w/ that was to get the wheels trued, degreased/cleaned cogs, new brake pads, and the derailers adjusted just a bit (the front was rubbing on the chain no matter how i set it).

how much are new shifters?

Yeah it is, my bad on the wording, it just isn't as common with the 105/Ultegra/DA stuff. They use a plastic piece in the Tiagra and lower shifters that they don't use in the higher up stuff and it breaks and usually happens suddenly with no real warning. Just a left lever, and this is an r500 shifter not a tiagra is $160. A pair of Tiagra shifters is $320. The thing that really screws you is it being 9 speed. They only make 2200/sora/tiagra in 9 speed anymore, shimano is smart like that.

fuuuck that. you know what i paid for this bike with clipless pedals 2 years ago? $325...at that kind of price for a damn shifter, i may just pick up a new bike and see if i can part out this one or sell it whole

yeah, i gotcha. i had it at bicycle one in gahanna and the guy was saying the shifters were worth about as much as i paid for the whole bike...i thought he was just trying to make me feel better. lol

but i wouldnt mind a new bike...we'll see.

yeah, i gotcha. i had it at bicycle one in gahanna and the guy was saying the shifters were worth about as much as i paid for the whole bike...i thought he was just trying to make me feel better. lol

but i wouldnt mind a new bike...we'll see.

Yeah shifters are insane, but there is a ton of engineering involved in them. If it turns out it is bad I could make you a little bit of a deal on getting a replacement one but it's still going to be pricey especially with labor to install it. If you want a second opinion on what they say I am through columbus fairly often and could check it out.

All is well...the clunking was the pedal hitting the derailer (feel like an idiot for lolking for.something hitting for 5+ min and not seeing that)...he said derailer cable prob just slipped, adjusted a few things, and its shifting fine, no clunking

Another :thumbup: to bike source in westerville!