2011 cycling

evan9381

damn, thats flying...my BEST average to date was like a 17.3, and i thought i was about to die. LOL. i think that was on a 22mi ride...it may have been a tenth or two higher since my cyclometer usually reads distance a tad shorter than my GPS does...it was off by just over a mile on the 60 mile ride, so i figure +/- 2% or so

the day i do the xenia/YS trip, im gonna plan on ~3.5 hours out (with stops in london and SC for water/ice/gatorade), 45m-1h in town for lunch/rest, and ~3 hours back...hopefully the wind will be nice to me that day...i think if i start early, like 8-830, the wind wont be bad, but by the time its time to head back, we get an east bound wind

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GMoney
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37023226

got out tonight after work...did a little over 18 miles (MMR didn't get good GPS signal until a min or two into the ride) in about 1:06:xx...was nice to get out...havent been out since last monday...im up to 451 miles for this year, only 1049 left, and im doing at least 1 century this year

Nice ride. Thanks for the invite i would have gone but already golfing. Don't forget about me in the future. I have been hitting the mountain bike hard this week. Blew a tire on P1 on Wednesday about 1 mile from the end had to walk the last .5 mile still was in about 38 min. I was hot! The 100oz camel back was almost gone at the end. I need to get some more road in for training on the mountian bike. We also need to drag some of these other guys out and if they are really as fast as they are it should be nice to have someone push me to go faster.

I had a lady at my work say she averaged 16 to 17 mph, so i figured cool some one to ride with right from work.... 11mph average... she talked to everyone at work how she was gonna kick my butt.

Just cleaned up my new bike. I want to get a front brake for it. It's a single speed cruiser, Swobo Folsom.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/260420_1746872038923_1452464254_31366444_3157992_n.jpg

Hey guys looking for a little help. I need a ride for Pelatonia. I only have about 500-600 to spend. I have been looking at the Cannondale Synapse Alloy or maybe the Trek 1 series.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on one around? I wouldn't mind having to drive a bit if its a good deal. I also have a bike I would like to trade in at the same time. Its a Raleigh Mojave 2.0.

Any other suggestions on fairly cheap road bikes?

If you give me a really good deal ill put a nice sticker on the back of my Jersey for your shop. :p

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

FYI Trek dealers are having a $100 instant rebate on road bikes but not the 1.1. Might be some incentive to step up to the 1.2. Either way the 1.1 is a great starter bike. I have sold them like hot cakes. Do you know what size you need?

FYI Trek dealers are having a $100 instant rebate on road bikes but not the 1.1. Might be some incentive to step up to the 1.2. Either way the 1.1 is a great starter bike. I have sold them like hot cakes. Do you know what size you need?

Thanks for the Trek tip. The 1.2 does look nice do you think I might be able to squeeze one out for around $600ish?

Someone told me to wait until around July cause that is when the 2012 models will come out and the 2011 will get discounted. Is that true?

Not 100% sure to be honest that is the main reason I want to purchase from a shop and not online to make sure I get the right fit. I went to some website and took a bunch of measurements.

Gender M

Inseam 35.75 in

Trunk 26.25 in

Forearm 14 in

Arm 26 in

Thigh 25.5 in

Lower Leg 24 in

Sternal Notch 62 in

Total Body Height 76.25 in

This is what the website suggested for me.

The Competitive Fit

Seat tube range c-c 58.8 - 59.3

Seat tube range c-t 60.6 - 61.1

Top tube length 55.8 - 56.2

Stem Length 11.6 - 12.2

BB-Saddle Position 83.7 - 85.7

Saddle-Handlebar 55.2 - 55.8

Saddle Setback 6.3 - 6.7

The Eddy Fit

Seat tube range c-c 60.0 - 60.5

Seat tube range c-t 61.8 - 62.3

Top tube length 55.8 - 56.2

Stem Length 10.5 - 11.1

BB-Saddle Position 82.9 - 84.9

Saddle-Handlebar 56.0 - 56.6

Saddle Setback 7.5 - 7.9

The French Fit

Seat tube range c-c 61.7 - 62.2

Seat tube range c-t 63.5 - 64.0

Top tube length 57.0 - 57.4

Stem Length 10.7 - 11.3

BB-Saddle Position 81.2 - 83.2

Saddle-Handlebar 57.7 - 58.3

Saddle Setback 7.0 - 7.4

I just checked the Trek 1.2 sizing I think I might need to max it out with a large. I was thinking the Eddy fit would be a little bit easier on my back and the largest 1.2 frame just misses some of those spec by a hair.

Thanks for the Trek tip. The 1.2 does look nice do you think I might be able to squeeze one out for around $600ish?

Someone told me to wait until around July cause that is when the 2012 models will come out and the 2011 will get discounted. Is that true?

Not 100% sure to be honest that is the main reason I want to purchase from a shop and not online to make sure I get the right fit. I went to some website and took a bunch of measurements.

I just checked the Trek 1.2 sizing I think I might need to max it out with a large. I was thinking the Eddy fit would be a little bit easier on my back and the largest 1.2 frame just misses some of those spec by a hair.

I doubt you can get one that cheap, but I have been wrong before. 2012 models usually don't hit until August, some trickle out before but not many. Usually entry level road bikes don't get discounted because they get sold so quickly and the $100 off deal will surely sell them out. In your case needing such a large bike you might be able to find one hanging around a shop leftover because of the size.

Just get one on CL and take it to a LBS with the owner to get it checked out, and if needed, let them tune it up...i got a bike with tiagra/105 components, and to replace the shifters alone would cost as much as i paid for the whole bike...i had to drive to wooster to get it though.

And you might be able to get away with a 60cm frame...a buddy of mine is 6'4 and is a fairly serious rider and i believe he rides a 60cm...

But my question is, are you going to buy a bike just for this? I would think if youre seriously thining of doing it, youd have a bike already and be training...i rode a bit last year, have just over 500mi in this ear, and im still working up to do a 100mi ride...its no joke

I doubt you can get one that cheap, but I have been wrong before. 2012 models usually don't hit until August, some trickle out before but not many. Usually entry level road bikes don't get discounted because they get sold so quickly and the $100 off deal will surely sell them out. In your case needing such a large bike you might be able to find one hanging around a shop leftover because of the size.

For a Trek 1.2 what do you think the best price would be. After looking at several different bikes the 1.2 looks like the better deal for the cash.

But my question is, are you going to buy a bike just for this? I would think if youre seriously thining of doing it, youd have a bike already and be training...i rode a bit last year, have just over 500mi in this ear, and im still working up to do a 100mi ride...its no joke

Yes and no. I have been having a blast on my Mojave but I never take it off road. I figured I would get rid of it and get a nice road bike so I can do Pelotonia and I would also like to do other rides around Ohio.

The thing that has struck my interest in Pelotonia was the fact that my work is trying to get a team together. The more people on the team the more the company will give.

I am not worried to much about the distance I would only be going to Athens not back. I can usually do 25ish miles without even thinking about it on the Mojave. I don't think it would be easy but I feel that I could do it.

For a Trek 1.2 what do you think the best price would be. After looking at several different bikes the 1.2 looks like the better deal for the cash.

With the $100 off deal it would be $769+tax. I can work up a total price tomorrow at work.

Ouch that is a lot. Thanks for looking into that. Im gonna have to see how the next week or so turns out before I can say yes or no. Defiantly more than what I first planned.

Thank you for checking into that. :thumbup:

Ouch that is a lot. Thanks for looking into that. Im gonna have to see how the next week or so turns out before I can say yes or no. Defiantly more than what I first planned.

Thank you for checking into that. :thumbup:

No problem. Not to push you away but I realize my shop is a bit of a drive for you, any shop should be able to get you a similar price as long as they are participating in the sale.

new personal best! by a LONG shot too! 80.05 miles. i wanted to do it in 6hrs or less with breaks/lunch, and it was right at about that...not sure what time exactly i started, but it was around 930, and i got back just before 330. i am SORE as hell, and a nap for a couple hours is going to feel GREAT. first 45 out to newark were fine, since i had a tail wind the whole way. ride home was a bit tougher

easton > westerville > galena > sunbury > johnstown > newark (lunch) >johnstown > new albany > hoover > easton

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/38812072

thanks man! i was still sore today, but its about gone now. i have started to notice a difference in my legs/calves from building up muscle from all this riding...its nice getting to hills that i used to have to downshift and still stand up to get up and i can stay seated now.

and my dad just stopped by today, brought me a brand new set of crankbrothers candy pedals...double sided will be MUCH nicer getting started than my old one sided i had to keep trying to flip over and clip in quickly...i just need to get some new cleats for these pedals for this weekend

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/39892678

another 31.xx mile ride today. got to try out my new crankbrothers candy 1 pedals my dad bought me for my birthday last week...much nicer than my old one sided shimano's that liked to flip upside down and be a pain in the ass when i was starting back up.

Well finally got around to going to a Trek store. I rode a bunch of bikes and pulled the trigger on a 60cm Trek 1.5. It should be all set and ready to go by Friday. Anyone wanna go for a ride this weekend?

I went with the compact double per the suggestions from the Trek guy. He said that once I get my road legs I would never use the little gear anyways.

Would you guys agree?