Bad Idea Caddy...

zeitgeist57

Sooo...

As someone who loves the summer, warmer weather, Florida, etc... I've always wanted to drive around in an older convertible, low and slow. Something that doesn't need to handle well, get great gas mileage, have awesome snow traction, etc; just something that goes around comfortably on sunny days. This would only be a fair-weather cruiser...I've got other cars that do everything else well enough.

BUT...I don't want to spend money on a convertible, since I'm not going to drive around that much with the top up; if the weather is bad, I'll drive something else. For that matter,why need a top at all?

I know all of the bad things about cutting off the top of a car (especially unibody vehicles), but what if we really simplify the vehicle? Here's my idea for the Bad Idea Caddy...

1) 70's/80's Coupe or Sedan DeVille - plentiful, cheap, modern enough that engine parts are readily available. Suspension can be lowered or use airbags.

2) Welded body, including doors. Reduce body instability inherent with removing roof.

3) Airbag suspension, modify chassis to lay frame - will lower car enough that you can step over the door to get in the car. Also gets the stance I want when cruising.

4) Eliminate B-pillars - will also eliminate windows (window tracks).

5) White body - reduces heat absorption, hides cheap rust-repair/body repair jobs. Easy to repaint after body mods are completed as well.

6) custom body cover (boat style) if parked outdoors - keeps weather out of the inside of the car, tent pole props up middle of cover to allow water to roll off, instead of pooling in the center. OR, keep inside of garage.

Photochops are welcome...

Any other thoughts?

Body would be scrap after a few years...no resale value at all except for parts.

Heck, it might end up scrap as part of the build.

do you have the said skill to make this happen?

Everyone has to learn somewhere. I don't think he is looking to build a show car, G-machine or restomod just something for having fun for a little while.

And the time/dedication to do so.

A hack job to go bombing around in wouldn't take that long.

I still think it sounds like a fun project.

I'm not going to do anything with this idea. :) So, my skills and time commitment are irrelevent at this point!

However, after I chew on the Jetta TDI for awhile, I'll see what I can do...

If I got a steal of a deal on a solid donor Caddy I would make this a priority project...