GM is bringing a Diesel to the Chevy Curze... but do we want it?

Trouble Maker

A friend of ours just bought a Cruze. Relatively nice inside and out, but not our cup of tea. We'll probably be looking at the 2011 Jetta TDIs within the next year. Very impressive for the price and economy. I've been trying to convince the wife into getting a 2 door Golf TDI instead, but she "can't stand hatchbacks" lol.

Where are they getting 34 mpg at? Seriously. My moms 05 Jetta TDi gets minimum 45 highway.

The numbers I quoted and that article stated is combined (highway+city) for both vehicles. Another caveat is the numbers for the diesel are all just speculation at this point since those are actually numbers from a Holden Curze diesel converted into MPG.

From what I've seen all of the numbers are pretty conservative at this point unless you constantly bang gears. How conservative they are is dependent upon how far you differ from the EPAs test procedure and how differently the vehicle behaves at that point. The EPA actually just changed their test procedure a few years ago and the result was more conservative (lower) numbers. For vehicles produced before this time frame you can actually see new and 'old' (same as was on the sticker when you purchased it) on fueleconomy.gov

Another interesting tidbit is that the test procedure NHTSA uses, and what goes into CAFE is not the same as what the EPA uses and by law has to go on the sticker. The NHTSA/CAFE numbers are much higher. So don't freak out too awfully much about the new CAFE targets being super high, as these are not the same as EPA numbers.

A friend of ours just bought a Cruze. Relatively nice inside and out, but not our cup of tea. We'll probably be looking at the 2011 Jetta TDIs within the next year. Very impressive for the price and economy. I've been trying to convince the wife into getting a 2 door Golf TDI instead, but she "can't stand hatchbacks" lol.

Funny, Chevy just released images of the Curze hatchback before Geneva... but we won't get it. :( Too bad, that's a sharp looking car for it's class (IMHO), and I love hatchbacks.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/02/cruzehatch2-1298649769.jpg

Meet the Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback. This five-door Cruze will make its debut at the Geneva Motor Show, which officially kicks off on Tuesday, March 1st. The Cruze Hatchback concept that generated excitement at last year's Paris Motor Show is the inspiration for this production model, which has a sloping roofline that's more sleek than geek. Cargo space is improved, of course, and doubly weep-inducing for North American hatchback fans, this one will only be available in Europe, with a delicious 161-horsepower diesel engine and six-speed manual transmission available.

The Cruze Hatchback will be in UK Chevrolet showrooms next to the latest Orlando, Captiva and Aveo models starting in the summer. With the Cruze recently winning the British Touring Car Championship and the World Touring Car Drivers and Constructors Championship, there's a possibility that a Cruze Hatchback could be campaigned in motorsport, as well. Check the press release after the jump for the official Chevy announcement.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/25/production-chevrolet-cruze-hatchback-says-hello-before-big-show/

Tree hugging hippie emission laws on diesels = lower mpg and power. That is the difference between U.S. versions and Europian versions.

Do you really want the air in your city to look like LA's, or China's large cities? :confused:

LA

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/261718673_00baec77e9.jpg

China

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/Smog_in_china.jpg

i love the new diesels but im weary about jumping into a non sport coupe german car....vw's tdi or some of the audi's just dont seem to have the reliability other gas cars do. I mean i know the engines are bullet proof but ive heard vws eat wheel bearing relentlessly. That said, that cruze looks special ed but the hatch is palatable for a DD

but that gas millage is unbeatable