Anyone weld/reccomend a welder?

acklac7

Tinman is not currently doing any projects other than his own. Get in line, I've been waiting three years for a cage...

:(

I think AJ knows some ppl? Looking for someone to do a side-job rather then a shop but whatever works...

Might have to take a welding class or two down @ C-State, seems profitable and in demand. I take it welding is an art that you have to master?

there is more to it than that. you would have to have proof of stuff you've done thats a quality job and i don't mean a coffee table. if you went and took classes and then said hey i can do that i would find someone else that has been doing it for a long time.

when is he wanting it done? i have no problem doing it but just can't at the moment because i don't have the room yet.

Might have to take a welding class or two down @ C-State, seems profitable and in demand. I take it welding is an art that you have to master?

If you are looking to learn the basics of welding, another option would be to look at the local career centers. The high school I teach at offers welding as an adult education course. I took the course myself last year and enjoyed it enough I decided I wanted a welder of my own and went out and bought one. They concentrated mainly on mig and stick welding, but he also teaches tig welding.

there is more to it than that. you would have to have proof of stuff you've done thats a quality job and i don't mean a coffee table. if you went and took classes and then said hey i can do that i would find someone else that has been doing it for a long time.

when is he wanting it done? i have no problem doing it but just can't at the moment because i don't have the room yet.

Yea I wouldn't necc. learn it for profit. Seems like a skill that would come in handy for any mechanic, side jobs would be a bonus.

And he's looking to get it done asap, already got quoted $500 for the strut towers...Sound fair?

If you are looking to learn the basics of welding, another option would be to look at the local career centers. The high school I teach at offers welding as an adult education course. I took the course myself last year and enjoyed it enough I decided I wanted a welder of my own and went out and bought one. They concentrated mainly on mig and stick welding, but he also teaches tig welding.

Already @ CSCC for Automotive Tech, so i'd probably just take it down there. Shame, my grandfather was a master welder and my wretched (to put it mildly) aunt sold his entire setup after he passed away:mad:

how striped is the car? does he have the parts?

I believe it is in mint condition, just has rust issues under the body/engine bay. He's looking at putting some serious change into it but im not sure how much he's willing to spend per mod.

as far as I know he is willing to strip the engine bay and have the car trailerd in. I guess he took it to moorespeed and got a rather pricey quote and was a little p.o'd. I told him sometimes you get what you pay for, but he said the quote was WAY up there (he knows more about welding then I do).

I've learned you always want to consult with someone who makes a living welding to determine if a specific task is DIY-able. Also...all due respect...skip the career center classes if you want to learn to weld. It's not even good entertainment. The 'teachers' they get have a lot of experience but little actual knowledge. For example...they can tell you what filler wire to use for a specific task but not WHY beyond..."it's what works" or "it's what I've used". I took a class up in Delaware and it was a waste of time. The worst part is that I was only taking it because I want to explore becoming a blacksmith and everyone told me to take a welding class to learn the basic metallurgy. There was no way any metallurgy was learned in my class. 2 lame.

as far as I know he is willing to strip the engine bay and have the car trailerd in. I guess he took it to moorespeed and got a rather pricey quote and was a little p.o'd. I told him sometimes you get what you pay for, but he said the quote was WAY up there (he knows more about welding then I do).

PM me the details. it shouldn't be a problem to get this taken care of.

I've learned you always want to consult with someone who makes a living welding to determine if a specific task is DIY-able. Also...all due respect...skip the career center classes if you want to learn to weld. It's not even good entertainment. The 'teachers' they get have a lot of experience but little actual knowledge. For example...they can tell you what filler wire to use for a specific task but not WHY beyond..."it's what works" or "it's what I've used". I took a class up in Delaware and it was a waste of time. The worst part is that I was only taking it because I want to explore becoming a blacksmith and everyone told me to take a welding class to learn the basic metallurgy. There was no way any metallurgy was learned in my class. 2 lame.

That's because the career centers hire welders to teach people to weld. Sounds like you were expecting a welding engineer. If you were a maintenance man somewhere and needed to know the basics of how to weld a broken part back together you should have been satisfied. I took our welding class last spring and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've done a few small projects since then and had a lot of success. They're not pretty, or even professional, but they are still holding. Our guy couldn't tell you shit about metallurgy either. He's just a country boy who went into the Navy and spent a couple of hitches welding shit together. They never taught him any real metallurgy.