I just called my employer out...

2pointslow

I am the district manager of sales for a personal training company.

They recently created a new position for me, as we are expanding and are kind of at a stop as far as production. We are currently opening 3 more gyms, well sunday we had a meeting and decided that i would take more of an overall sales role among all the clubs. My current title is district manager, well my boss took that as i am to follow task and check lists. Well a few months into it, that is not my role and that was never to be my role. It pretty much took me out of the sales role completely. I hired and trained my sales managers that are currently in place at each location. The past 3 months we have seen the highest profits since the company opened a year ago.

Now fast foreward, they dropped me out of district after these past few months because one of my bosses believes he can do my job. So they want me to travel from gym to gym and sell. Now a few things wrong with this.

One: Floor sets are one way of getting infront of people, most of the time they have allready been pitched or declined the assessment. If i am a traveling salesman then there is no time to set floor sets as you must be in the club for a week depending on when people want set.

Two: taking my training directors sets and pulling from their pocket.

Three: Floor pulls, causing customer service complaints as i just interrupted your workout. I beat you up and i just asked you for more money and it was a total blind side.

Four: They follow through and pay my base while i write what i can without starving out the other employees untill hilliard opens in august and i go down to training director pay.

I see no good coming from this, when i could of just maintaned my current position as district manager of sales and maintained the company that i brought back from the dead.

Its funny 4 months of hard work i have increased their total sales from 221k to 683k. I have trained and hired every employee we have and set up the checks and balances systems.

I sent my boss an email asking for an explanation.

You're threatening my job. You're fired due to lack of loyalty and precived undermining of authority.

Coorprate world = what are you doing for me right now while I kick your legs out from under you?

I understand that, but how am i threatening anything when my boss is the owner of the company?

He always talks about how the leaders of any company should have some ownership in any company. Whether it is sweat equity or buying into the company. I laid 20k out on the table for them and they wouldnt allow me to buy in at 15% ownership.

people are threatened when they sense someone who can do their job better than they can. self preservation instinct > obligation to perform at highest level possible. its really too bad that people think shady tactics and abusing power is a substitute for hard work.

I understand that, but how am i threatening anything when my boss is the owner of the company?

He always talks about how the leaders of any company should have some ownership in any company. Whether it is sweat equity or buying into the company. I laid 20k out on the table for them and they wouldnt allow me to buy in at 15% ownership.

You can lay 20k out on my table and Ill cut you in on part ownership. :D

Unless you have a written contract detailing your specific role and job duties, you are at his whim. I refer to a contract and not a job description.

As Ohio is an "employment at will" state, you can be fired for any reason so long as it is not an 'illegal" termination. http://research.lawyers.com/Ohio/Employment-Law-in-Ohio.html

I would strongly request a face to face meeting with your boss, and his boss, to discuss your displeasure with your change in roles. You walk a tight rope if you approach this in any other way but cordially and professionally.

Unless you have a written contract detailing your specific role and job duties, you are at his whim. I refer to a contract and not a job description.

As Ohio is an "employment at will" state, you can be fired for any reason so long as it is not an 'illegal" termination. http://research.lawyers.com/Ohio/Employment-Law-in-Ohio.html

I would strongly request a face to face meeting with your boss, and his boss, to discuss your displeasure with your change in roles. You walk a tight rope if you approach this in any other way but cordially and professionally.

I know, i have a job at the drop of a call. Its better pay, more benefits and less hours. But i like to see things through i feel like this is my baby. I have built it and put everything together. When i came on board there was nothing. Now we have everything going for us.

I am going to request a sit down meeting first and then bring in the 3 managers i hired and trained. We will see the outcome, all three of them are either friends or people i worked with in the past. I pretty much know that if they let me go or i decide to walk everyone of them will leave.

Its really a sad position i am in, but it is life and that is why i keep my contacts close.

I know, i have a job at the drop of a call. Its better pay, more benefits and less hours. But i like to see things through i feel like this is my baby. I have built it and put everything together. When i came on board there was nothing. Now we have everything going for us.

I am going to request a sit down meeting first and then bring in the 3 managers i hired and trained. We will see the outcome, all three of them are either friends or people i worked with in the past. I pretty much know that if they let me go or i decide to walk everyone of them will leave.

Its really a sad position i am in, but it is life and that is why i keep my contacts close.

My money is on not even 1 of those 3 people would leave if you left.

Your being a whiny lil man! Put on your big girl panties, kill your boss, leave his will written to you, tell the cops the kid with the knife did it, sell the comapny, take the funds, build a lifetime and hire your own people!

I sent my boss an email asking for an explanation.

Better have someone proofread it.

Letter to boss, scenario 1: Boss, it seems as if my role in your small company has changed. I know you're in charge, but I don't like what's going on here. I'll give you $20K for a % of interest in your company (this insinuates you would have a say in changes to be made BTW).

Letter to boss, scenario 2: Boss, I have noticed a trend for the positive in our business growth in the recent past, and I wanted to share some thoughts with you. Our sales have increased X% while our profits have increased Y%. By looking at the numbers for the past year, my sales account for _______. In addition, I have trained all current employees whose sales account for __________. I am very happy with the way things have been going, but I wanted to bring something to your attention. You may not know that with some of the increased job responsibilities I have, my potential for the same sales numbers this year may be limited. This may be detrimental for both of us. I would like to discuss with you, in detail, how we might optimize my skills for the growth of the company. In addition, if you would like, I would even be willing to invest $20K in this company for a 15% interest. I feel this is an indicator of my belief in this company, and my dedication to seeing it grow to its full potential. I look forward to your reply.