Sewer smell

nurkvinny

Did anyone check to make sure the septic system was operating correctly? Make sure the level in the tank is where it should be. I had one that was in the beginning stage of failure a few years ago due to the previous home owner never cleaning out the system. During the winter was the worst.

Not yet. If the smell persists, that is the next step.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check the kitchen sink. Throw couple oranges in there and let it run.

Sink is good. We've had nasty sink smells, nasty trash, forgot to run dishwasher, left shitty diaper out from 2am-8am, etc.

I was (am) so alarmed because this was way over the top on the smell-o-meter.

Funny I have had this problem a few times. I think it might have something to do with a downdraft of wind hitting the outside exhaust gasses vent pipe. Do you live in a older home or in a low area ? I added an extension onto the pipe and I think it helped. We still dont know what caused our smell but it went away and its been a long time since it has come back.

Funny I have had this problem a few times. I think it might have something to do with a downdraft of wind hitting the outside exhaust gasses vent pipe. Do you live in a older home or in a low area ? I added an extension onto the pipe and I think it helped. We still dont know what caused our smell but it went away and its been a long time since it has come back.

Pipe extends about 18" out of roof, near peak. It's just a straight shot upwards, with nothing blocking elements out (which I thought was odd, but plumber assured me it was correct).

House is relatively new (2000). It is extremely flat land in all directions around me. Everyone comments how the wind is ALWAYS stronger here than in other places.

Link or more info information about the extension?

Septic. Just had mine drained and Im 5 minutes down the road from you.

The excessive water in our area, compiled with saturated grounds leads to back flow in the leach bed. If youre near full or full in your septic tank, you are full now. Pull the lid and check.

Our problem was because the septic was full the lift station could not push the waste water out. Backing it up into the basement line. Ran the washer and it smelled like shit. Leave the lower level laundry alone for a half day and the smell was gone. Run another load and it came back. Ended up burning the lift station up so now Im runing a temp drain line to the sump.

And if its not the above, I can guarantee you its your lift station.

( I know it didnt take me 20 mins to type that, but I did walk away for a little bit)

Go out to your inspection box on your septic tank and switch the fields, with all the rain and snow melting lately you may have an abundance of water in your leach field, causing a slight back up into you tank and main sewage discharge line cause a sewage smell.

Methane gas is nothing to fuck with......it can kill you if too much builds up and it dosen't take much. IF YOU OR ANYONE START TO EXPERIENCE HEADACHES, LIGHTHEADED OR SICK FEELING GET OUT.

I almost lost my dad the night before my wedding in my then new house due to MI Homes being fucking morons.

Yep, the saturated ground and rain last night were also running through my head.

Kevin, who did your's?

Go out to your inspection box on your septic tank and switch the fields,

Had no idea I could do that. I am thinking methane was one of the gases the fire dept tested for, but I won't swear by it.

Edited by nurkvinny

Pipe extends about 18" out of roof, near peak. It's just a straight shot upwards, with nothing blocking elements out (which I thought was odd, but plumber assured me it was correct).

House is relatively new (2000). It is extremely flat land in all directions around me. Everyone comments how the wind is ALWAYS stronger here than in other places.

Link or more info information about the extension?

I just made my own using pvc pipe for a temporary fix. I made go above the pitch of the roof. I cant remember for sure if I have had the smell come after that or not. I know its been a while though and Im not missing it.

Had no idea I could do that. I am thinking methane was one of the gases the fire dept tested for, but I won't swear by it.

I switch my fields 2-3 times a year, depending on the moisture.

No we don't test for Methane, we have CO detectors, Radon, NG etc. But not Methane. It's such a punget gas theirs no need, if your smelling shit you've got Methane.

I switch my fields 2-3 times a year, depending on the moisture.

No we don't test for Methane, we have CO detectors, Radon, NG etc. But not Methane. It's such a punget gas theirs no need, if your smelling shit you've got Methane.

Gotchya.

Just went out and removed both covers and lids. Here is what I can see:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=529&pictureid=4845

Yeah Buddy!

Hang on Ill get the number.

EC Babbert 614.837.8444 Ran me 295.00, drivers name was Scott. If you schedule with Bob, he will tell you the guy is prompt, and by prompt he means 30 mins early. He pumped the tank, waited for awhile, let it back fill and pumped some more. Then he pumped from the distribution box to pull some excess water out of the leach bed. Left Amy at home to act uneducated so the last part he did from the distribution box was a bonus. They typically dont do that.

They will ask how big your tank is. Code is based at 500 gallons per bedroom.

Move the plunger every 6 months, no more. It can take that long for the bed to dry. If your moving it more then that your defeating the purpose.

Back to switching fields...

I went out back to the distribution box (or whatever you call them). The pipe from the septic tank is covered and has about 2" of water covering it. The two pipes heading out of the box...

one is also under about 2" of water and the other has a 90 bend PVC pipe aimed up, keeping water from entering it.

Is "switching" it removing the 90 from one pipe and putting it on the other?

Thanks again guys.

If I had to guess, the that pipe pictured goes toward the house. I have a lid 15 more feet straight out from my septic tank. That's the distribution box. Here is a schamatic of the layout by code. Now you may have an aeration system so yours could be different.

If the plunger is covered with water, then your bed is for sure saturated. If you move it, you'll get some bubbles. But seeing your night picture, thats your problem.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/pimpjettay2k/vince.jpg?t=1298682224

Sorry, should have said...

the picture I posted is of the septic tank, the 2nd of two inspection holes (pictured is the one farther from house). My dist. box is another 30' towards the back of the property.

Since I love Paint pics... :)

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=529&pictureid=4846

I just re-read, and re-thought what I was going to type.

After reviewing the picture and thinking, you answered what I missed. You have a dual zone tank. Call that company and have that thing drained.

No more paint for me, have to get home from the shop...

http://herringsanitation.com/Septic.jpg

Wow this thread is really educating for a newer home buyer here. Pretty interesting.

here's the advice---don't buy house with septic/well systems. i live fairly close to our 'city' (small town), yet we have septic system and well water. we just bought the house exactly one year ago, and have had the same problem the original poster had. in the end, it turned out to be our septic system that needed drained. we also get the smell if one of our drains is not used regularly----well, since i don't take baths, our big tub in the master bath doesn't get used often, nor the basement sink/shower, spare bath, bar sink, etc.---these will potentially smell up the place if we don't run water through them every couple weeks or so.

our house was built in 2002, and we originally had a reservoir tank, that would supply water to the house from the well---at roughly 60psi---which didn't seem like enough pressure to me. once the reservoir tank emptied, the water would get re-pumped into the tank, and the pressure would go up briefly. since i can't fucking stand well water, we've had to retrofit a system to apply a constant water pressure (the pump constantly runs) to the water lines. also had to buy a carbon filter, and replace the shitty 'home depot' brand water softener. add to that a water filter to prevent all the shit from our well water clogging up all the mesh screens on our sinks/showers/etc, and you can see what a pain in the ass well water can be. never again will i live in a well water house.

Kirk, the same thing will happen in the city. Thats just evaporation.

Not sure what the codes are out there, but if you dont have a pressure tank you need one. Not sure who sets a house up on a resovior system. I wouldn't. You need a pre-filter, more filters after that if you want, or if your area calls for more need, then a water softener. And thats negotiable. I know guys that live in the county and have no softener, and you can drink their water.

Back to switching fields...

I went out back to the distribution box (or whatever you call them). The pipe from the septic tank is covered and has about 2" of water covering it. The two pipes heading out of the box...

one is also under about 2" of water and the other has a 90 bend PVC pipe aimed up, keeping water from entering it.

Is "switching" it removing the 90 from one pipe and putting it on the other?

Thanks again guys.

Yes the 90* bend is basically the shut off for the one field. remove it and put it onto to other pipe for the other field. You'll still want to get that sucker pumped.

here's the advice---don't buy house with septic/well systems. i live fairly close to our 'city' (small town), yet we have septic system and well water. we just bought the house exactly one year ago, and have had the same problem the original poster had. in the end, it turned out to be our septic system that needed drained. we also get the smell if one of our drains is not used regularly----well, since i don't take baths, our big tub in the master bath doesn't get used often, nor the basement sink/shower, spare bath, bar sink, etc.---these will potentially smell up the place if we don't run water through them every couple weeks or so.

our house was built in 2002, and we originally had a reservoir tank, that would supply water to the house from the well---at roughly 60psi---which didn't seem like enough pressure to me. once the reservoir tank emptied, the water would get re-pumped into the tank, and the pressure would go up briefly. since i can't fucking stand well water, we've had to retrofit a system to apply a constant water pressure (the pump constantly runs) to the water lines. also had to buy a carbon filter, and replace the shitty 'home depot' brand water softener. add to that a water filter to prevent all the shit from our well water clogging up all the mesh screens on our sinks/showers/etc, and you can see what a pain in the ass well water can be. never again will i live in a well water house.

Not a single thing wrong with a house with well and septic, I prefer this. I've seen the problems city systems can cause too unless you like your neighbors shit backing up into your house......Yes it can happen.