Filing a complaint against an officer, couple questions.

Total Sign

The officer came to my house to come accuse me of something he thought I did. He then calls me at 11:30 at night to accuse me of more. I have the call saved in my phone. I was threatened with jail numerous times, and given a ticket and told just pay it, don't go to court. At the end he said "Pay it by x or I will be coming to take you to jail, I know where you live."

I want to file a complaint for harassment, but what is to stop him after the complaint is filed to start pulling me over and making up tickets?

?

More details.

I doubt you were at home and an officer picked you as random sucker of the night on that street.

It could be something related but not warranting that kind of behavior. I have a friend who got in a "who can cut each other off the best" contest with some psycho bitch, cops were called by other people but couldn't get there before both people had left. so they showed up 2 nights in a row to his parents' house (he was living at his GFs) and threaten to take them to prison for hiding someone wanted for questioning...at 1130pm...and the parents found more officers creeping around their house peeking in windows with flashlights. No prior convictions, a bunch of traffic violations on his history though. No warrants.

Of course, this was all in Westerville so thats pretty normal procedure there.

I will post all of the details and the story when everything is done. In the mean time I was just asking if I need to worry about more harassment after I file a complaint, kind of worried about him trying to get revenge.

What do you have to worry about?

KillJoy

I will post all of the details and the story when everything is done. In the mean time I was just asking if I need to worry about more harassment after I file a complaint, kind of worried about him trying to get revenge.

He will come after you again. That is a fact. He is trying to intimidate you into just going along with his side of the storey. He is lieing in some way shape or form to make himself look good or to cover up something that he has done that was not by the book. Get the best lawyer money can buy if your going after him because in court you are guilty untill proven innocent these days especially if you are challenging a cop because judges almost always side with the cop. And just a bit of advice if you go through with this random pull overs and bullshit tickets are going to be the least of your worries because they will want you locked up and humilated for what you did to their department. They will go at all costs to do this too so make sure your car is always clean when you are riding around to make sure that it will be harder for them to plant anything in your car without you looking. You wont have just one cop on your case as well it will be his friends in the department as well. Keep this in mind. If you make one of them look bad you make all of them look bad.

Well if you file a complaint and then he "gets revenge" then he's hopefully in big trouble including fired.

Thats what I would hope.

What do you have to worry about?

KillJoy

This

He will come after you again. That is a fact. He is trying to intimidate you into just going along with his side of the storey. He is lieing in some way shape or form to make himself look good or to cover up something that he has done that was not by the book. Get the best lawyer money can buy if your going after him because in court you are guilty untill proven innocent these days especially if you are challenging a cop because judges almost always side with the cop. And just a bit of advice if you go through with this random pull overs and bullshit tickets are going to be the least of your worries because they will want you locked up and humilated for what you did to their department. They will go at all costs to do this too so make sure your car is always clean when you are riding around to make sure that it will be harder for them to plant anything in your car without you looking. You wont have just one cop on your case as well it will be his friends in the department as well. Keep this in mind. If you make one of them look bad you make all of them look bad.

And then it comes to the point of do I put 5k into a 130 dollar ticket? Its not really the 130 bucks, its more of how the officer behaved and the questions he asked.

Im guessing you got pulled over, he said some things he shouldnt have. You called him out on it and now hes trying to protect himself. Go straight to the court and get a PFA and call a news station.

And then it comes to the point of do I put 5k into a 130 dollar ticket? Its not really the 130 bucks, its more of how the officer behaved and the questions he asked.

That is for you to find out. Did he really go out of line. Enough to make you question your safty or freedom. If so then take him down. I spent a little over 15k to get out of trouble this spring and to insure my future. Legal stuff costs money, that is no doubt. Its all on if it is worth it to you or not to protect your rights. Honestly I say spend the money and take his ass down. We need more people in this world that will stand up to cops and not let them do what they please and get away with it just because they have a bullshit shield on their chest.

None of you have the whole story and are talking out of both sides of your mouths... Honestly, until we have the story to weigh in on...this thread is retarded.

Funny how we talk all this shit...and then tunes change when you need help. Not trying to be a dick, but get off the I hate cops bandwagon and make an informed opinion.

OP, without the whole story no one but you knows what happened and the extent of why he is doing what is you say he is doing. If you don't want to tell us the whole story I respect that, but asking for opinions is not doing you any justice. If you truly feel that you are being harassed, then take it up with the proper channels.

None of you have the whole story and are talking out of both sides of your mouths... Honestly, until we have the story to weigh in on...this thread is retarded.

Funny how we talk all this shit...and then tunes change when you need help. Not trying to be a dick, but get off the I hate cops bandwagon and make an informed opinion.

OP, without the whole story no one but you knows what happened and the extent of why he is doing what is you say he is doing. If you don't want to tell us the whole story I respect that, but asking for opinions is not doing you any justice. If you truly feel that you are being harassed, then take it up with the proper channels.

:confused: Did you read the thread? I think a lot of people contributed quiet a bit. OP is asking the best way to go about getting this jackass off his back. It doesn't matter if he was completely guilty and in the wrong, this officer's conduct is unprofessional and inappropriate to say the least. I think he just wants to know what he can expect if he doesn't do anything, what he can expect if he does try to do something about it, and the best way to handle either situation. We don't need the whole story because guilt of the charged offense is irrelevant. I'd tear into anyone who calls me at night telling me how to exercise my rights as someone accused of anything.

:confused: Did you read the thread? I think a lot of people contributed quiet a bit. OP is asking the best way to go about getting this jackass off his back. It doesn't matter if he was completely guilty and in the wrong, this officer's conduct is unprofessional and inappropriate to say the least. I think he just wants to know what he can expect if he doesn't do anything, what he can expect if he does try to do something about it, and the best way to handle either situation. We don't need the whole story because guilt of the charged offense is irrelevant. I'd tear into anyone who calls me at night telling me how to exercise my rights as someone accused of anything.

I don't disagree with you hence why I said if you feel that you are being harassed take the proper channel. I guess I got frustrated with some of the comments. There are always 2 sides to every story and taking one side as gospel is not looking at the issue objectively. We are getting one side and I don't know the guy..he could be embellishing. I am not saying he was, but without all of the facts...I am going to go on nothing I would consider credible (no offense to OP).

Andrew I have fought tickets and won.

All I said and in order:

get lawyer

talk to lawyer

Go to court

decide what to do

If there is an issue and it can be backed up with a court ruling, get a restraining order.

My comments were not directed at you. Sorry to all who felt I was jumping on them.

keep in mind, i'm just adding to some debate...... but, why do you call the cop a jackass? if the OP was guilty of something (not saying he is), and you were the victim. would you not want the officer to do everything he could to bring the guilty party to justice?

telling the suspect you will take him to jail if he does take care of the ticket, in some way, is not a threat - it is the truth.

my guess, IF the cop was smart. he will pull you over EVERY time he sees you committing an offense and cite you EVERY time. He will be nothing but professional and courteous each and every time. he will probably also have the entire stop recorded.

IF the cop is dumb, he will harrass you in the way described in the OP and will have a valid complaint against him.

and you will not be able to file a complaint for the possible actions of said cop. you will get laughed right out of the police station.

If you have proof as you state of the officers conduct you definitely need to discuss the issue with a lawyer, unfortunately there are expenses involved with this. However if you feel strongly you are innocent of wrongdoing that is the course you must take. If you simply file a complaint against the officer without any sort of substance behind the complaint you will definitely face further harassment not just from the single officer, but the whole department. Cops protect their own. You gotta do this right or you'll be worse off than what you already are