Teach me about Subarus

99FLHRCI

How much should I expect to pay for a decent Subaru? I am not looking for a STI or anything like that. I just want a basic AWD DD. This would be the girlfriend's car so I want it to be reliable but, as always the cheaper the better. I am wondering what kind of miles can be seen on these cars before they are not worth anything. What are the big problems to look for on older, higher mileage cars?

Any of the NA ones will do what you want. They also hold their value extraordinarily well. Late nineties Subarus in decent condition, even with high miles, go for 3-4k, maybe even more depending on the model. People who own them usually own them for a long time, so high mileage is common (200k ish area). The method to buying an old Subaru on the cheap is to buy a broken one and fix it.

Issues:

Head gaskets. Its just part of owning a Subaru. 99% of the time, the heads aren't warped, so changing them out is easy, but you have to pull the motor. That only takes an hour tops. Most of the broken ones on craigslist have blown head gaskets.

Tranmissions are kind of weak, don't abuse them too much unless you have spares sitting around or a friend who fixes transmissions. They will serve you well otherwise.

Gas mileage. Subarus are known for shitty numbers compared to other 4 cyls.

Pros:

Hold value extremely well.

Can't be beat in the snow.

All of them have variations of the same motor, so parts are everywhere and interchangeable. Even new parts are dirt cheap.

Easy to service. Taking the motor out is unplugging the harness connectors and hoses, undoing the transmission bolts and the 2 motor mount bolts, and out it comes.

depends on what you want and what you want to spend. Subaru's hold up very well with high miles and retain value very well. the boxer power plant is a great one that works very well and is simple to maintain. for example i had a 97 outback with 185K on it only problems was that it had vibration at over 65MPH. but other than that heated seats leather interior and so on, they are great cars for the money.

From what I can tell, I think I am going to be looking for a mid to late 90's Impreza or Outback. She really likes the Outback Sport from that era. I am hoping to stay under $5k. Looks like I may be looking for one with a popped head gasket and fixing it.

From what I can tell, I think I am going to be looking for a mid to late 90's Impreza or Outback. She really likes the Outback Sport from that era. I am hoping to stay under $5k. Looks like I may be looking for one with a popped head gasket and fixing it.

Head gaskets, plural. Its boxer/flat 4, it has 2 heads. :)

Yeah but that threw me into the Subaru forums and I was constantly seeing people with problems. Transmissions (mostly internal solenoids), drivetrain binding, leaky cam shaft seals, wheel bearings locking up way too often, and a slew of electrical gremlins. That said, my girl has an older Outback with higher mileage and no problems.. because she drives like a grandma. So don't drive it like you just robbed a bank and it should last awhile I guess.

All cars that get old have those parts that get worn, I had a Pontiac Fiero GT that had ball joint and bering issues, I don't make a blanket statement that because I owned an 88 all other GM products are the same even to this day. Whatever, my wife's 05 has 105 miles on the clock and runs awesome. Just like any maker, if you buy an entry level car (base model) most likely (A) they are going to have wear parts, (B), they were bought new by someone who did not do the correct maintenance on them because they didn't have cash, that's why they were in a base model. This is true for Toyota, GM, Ford, whatever. Spend a little more and you get what you pay for.

I've had 5 WRXs so I think I can speak for the post 2000 SUbarus. 02 and 03, only Issue we had with either was replace brakes once each before 50k miles. Both were totaled at 50k miles and neither my wife or my self were hurt in any way. No glass broke, doors opened just how they did the first day of ownership.

05 Wagon and 05 STi, Had the rear struts replaced under warranty at 30k on the STi, after that I broke a bunch of shit on it trying to put new clamps on the power steering hoses. The WRX wagon has never had a Dealer issue or a warranty claim, we did all the maintenance either at a dealer or myself. Next is a Timing belt (soon) and then maybe a clutch in the next 10K miles. 105k miles currently, stock clutch. Runs everyday haven't seen a bit of rust yet. 05 STi was totaled in a 9 car pile up on 207 at 65MPH I walked away without a mark on me, windshield cracked form airbag, no other glass broke, doors opened as they always did. Totaled at 90k miles.

My fifth is below and well 1700 miles, not a complaint yet.

My advise is if you buy a used Subaru good luck finding someone like ourselves that put the time and money into maintenance that will part with their vehicle. The ones that part with them (base models) is because guess what the maintenance is required now or they skipped it and it runs like shit now. So time to just buy another base model and abuse it. I have very rarely seen a nice used subaru, ours will most likely go to a family member who will abuse it and not take care of it until it dies. We already have my wife's spoken for from a family member who we already know will drive it into the ground.

Edited by Benjamin

Any of the NA ones will do what you want. They also hold their value extraordinarily well. Late nineties Subarus in decent condition, even with high miles, go for 3-4k, maybe even more depending on the model. People who own them usually own them for a long time, so high mileage is common (200k ish area). The method to buying an old Subaru on the cheap is to buy a broken one and fix it.

Issues:

Head gaskets. Its just part of owning a Subaru. 99% of the time, the heads aren't warped, so changing them out is easy, but you have to pull the motor. That only takes an hour tops. Most of the broken ones on craigslist have blown head gaskets.

Tranmissions are kind of weak, don't abuse them too much unless you have spares sitting around or a friend who fixes transmissions. They will serve you well otherwise.

Gas mileage. Subarus are known for shitty numbers compared to other 4 cyls.

Pros:

Hold value extremely well.

Can't be beat in the snow.

All of them have variations of the same motor, so parts are everywhere and interchangeable. Even new parts are dirt cheap.

Easy to service. Taking the motor out is unplugging the harness connectors and hoses, undoing the transmission bolts and the 2 motor mount bolts, and out it comes.

Good advice. The transmissions hold up pretty well in the N/A subies. It's the WRX 5mt that tends to lose teeth when you add the power.

Only other thing I can add is, if you don't want to do the work yourself, take it to ZB at SigmaTech (614-876-1007). He's the local go-to guy for Subarus, and he won't steer you wrong. And if you drop by in the next few weeks, you'll be able to check out his Supercharged GTI RallyCross build.

My advise is if you buy a used Subaru good luck finding someone like ourselves that put the time and money into maintenance that will part with their vehicle. The ones that part with them (base models) is because guess what the maintenance is required now or they skipped it and it runs like shit now. So time to just buy another base model and abuse it. I have very rarely seen a nice used subaru, ours will most likely go to a family member who will abuse it and not take care of it until it dies. We already have my wife's spoken for from a family member who we already know will drive it into the ground.

this is also kinda what I was aiming for. Subarus need maintained, and most of them aren't.

Good advice. The transmissions hold up pretty well in the N/A subies. It's the WRX 5mt that tends to lose teeth when you add the power.

N/A and automatic are fine by me. It is going to be her DD not our Hot Rod. About the only mods I can think I would want to do is a free flowing air filter. Really just something she can drive every day all year and it would be nice if it was able to take us on our vacations to go camping etc.

he asked..

ever since you got that car you get all defensive like Jones does with audis

this is also kinda what I was aiming for. Subarus need maintained, and most of them aren't.

All cars NEED maintained. I'm not really defensive as you are so jaded by everthing you end up getting rid of, your honda, your Subaru, can't wait for you to get rid of that TA and really start thrashing those.

By maintained I mean, changing oil, diff fluid, brakes, Spark plugs, filters, belts, hoses, clutch. What car with 100K miles doesn't need that stuff done? I'd love to see a list.

Bottom line is you seem miserable on here and have nothing really to add to anyones threads except what is bad and everything is bad. Can't remember reading a post that you posted that had something positive to say about a car other than maybe wow that is fast. if I owned only 1 car of a maker and I bought it used and busted and had to have a "Built WRX tranny" installed right at purchase (ie Tranny that wasn't made for the car), I wouldn't be vouching for the manufacturer as I would think I haven't owned a new one and maintained it, and haven't owned enough to see a pattern of issues first hand to give an opinion.

I think you need some help because you are very EMO on here, I don't know if you want people here to feel sorry for you or what, but you can't be anymore negative on here than you have been the last few years. Not making fun, just an observation.

Edited by Benjamin

older ones have rust issues in the rear(what ohio car doesn't)

they like to eat hg's wheel bearings and axle shafts and they will absolutley destroy tires if you don't keep good struts on them and keep after the alignment.....

the average subaru that i worked on downtown was owned by some short north tree hugger and never got a dime put in it towards maint.

shop carefully or you'll get hosed find somebody that took care of one with records or get them to come way down on the price

the average subaru that i worked on downtown was owned by some short north tree hugger and never got a dime put in it towards maint.

Truth. This is why I buy new and take the hit. I like being the only owner and plan to drive it until it dies or is killed. The wife on the other hand not so much.