Gahanna Jefferson email

Buck531

Got this in an email earlier.

A recent classroom lesson during a fifth-grade study on the institution of slavery that raised some concerns with a parent is a situation that Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools takes very seriously.

The lesson regarding the institution of slavery was 10 to 12 minutes long with mainly discussion followed by a very brief role play exercise. During the role play students were assigned to roles of “slave” or “master” based on randomly drawn slips of paper out of a jar. The 40-minute lesson also included a brainstorming session, class discussion, and students writing their reflections of the lesson.

The intent of the lesson was to provide students with multiple tools to learn about slavery in American history. It was intended to provide students with empathy, compassion and understanding, and was never intended to offend or upset anyone. Regardless of the intent, the effect was that some were offended and hurt by the lesson plan, and for that the school district is deeply sorry.

We fully understand that the topic of slavery is a sensitive one. Superintendent Mark White has spoken with both the principal and the teacher regarding this issue, and due to those conversations and because concerns were raised about the methodology used, the lesson will not be used again, and future lessons will be examined for sensitivity.

Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools is committed to working together with our parents to provide a safe and productive learning environment.

Without turning this into a racial/hate thread... thoughts?

One of the best ways we can help children become more culturally aware and considerate is by teaching history, empathy, and tolerance in the schools. It's not the only way to teach these things, but it's an important one. It sounds as though that was exactly what the school was trying to do.

According to the quotation, "a parent" took issue with this method. The parent certainly has a right to object, but should one parent's opinion determine the curriculum? If so, if that parent objects to even mentioning slavery, should we delete it from all early American history and the Civil War? If a pacifist parent objects to teaching about wars because they "glorify violence," should we delete the subject of war from history class? Kids have to learn about the low points of human behavior as well as the beautiful ones. If teaching exercises are done in a balanced, interactive way, it should not be a problem.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

-Winston Churchill (also George Santayana, Edmund Burke)

there hasn't been a slave in north america in almost 150 years its not sensitive its a history lesson

anybody who ever owned a slave is dead and anybody that ever was a slave is dead

slavery is bad juju and the school should teach it however they see fit to get the point across so it never happens again

actually it wasn't the parent who raised the issue; a black male in the class who was on the "slave" side was uncomfortable and didn't want to participate (its worth noting the only other black kid in the class was on the "masters" side as was randomly assigned). he then told his mother as kids often do when asked "so what'd you do at school today?"

I'd probably be a little upset even as a white kid if my teacher told us we were going to simulate a slave auction, just as i'd be a little upset if i was told we were going to "convert" some unbelievers like Torquemada did in the Inquisition.

I think that while its important for kids to learn the history of race relations, its more important to expose them to the aspects that led to the end of segregation and intolerance instead of trying to show them how bad it was before then.

that said, I could see why showing kids how awful it feels to be treated like livestock would be important.

One of the best ways we can help children become more culturally aware and considerate is by teaching history, empathy, and tolerance in the schools. It's not the only way to teach these things, but it's an important one. It sounds as though that was exactly what the school was trying to do.

According to the quotation, "a parent" took issue with this method. The parent certainly has a right to object, but should one parent's opinion determine the curriculum? If so, if that parent objects to even mentioning slavery, should we delete it from all early American history and the Civil War? If a pacifist parent objects to teaching about wars because they "glorify violence," should we delete the subject of war from history class? Kids have to learn about the low points of human behavior as well as the beautiful ones. If teaching exercises are done in a balanced, interactive way, it should not be a problem.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

-Winston Churchill (also George Santayana, Edmund Burke)

I agree with all this

there hasn't been a slave in north america in almost 150 years its not sensitive its a history lesson

anybody who ever owned a slave is dead and anybody that ever was a slave is dead

slavery is bad juju and the school should teach it however they see fit to get the point across so it never happens again

x2

No one should take personal offense to this. It's something that happened in our past heritages and something for us to learn from. They were teaching a history lesson.

When I was in grade school the teacher in my class did the "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment on us. I was taught from day one that everyone should be treated equal and even at that age I felt I wasn't racist. But afterwards I was surprised at how some of my thoughts towards my classmates changed during the experiment. It really made me more aware of how easy it is to have racist views. It's a lesson that I still remember strongly.

School can't be just hugs and bunnies. Some of life's lessons should jar the psyche so they stick for life.

so I have a serious question and it's not meant as racist in any way but I'm hoping this can be answered for me.... Why is it that no one alive today's grand parents or probably even great grand parents were slaves is this even an issue? I just fail to see why the racism card gets played so much. I have a guy on my team that openly tells me that he will use the age discriminiation card if I fire him.... so is this really still an issue or used as a crutch? Again, this is NOT mean to be racist, but more I'm trying to understand why this is even an issue anymore. Everyone here white, yellow, purple etc... has the ability to do the same things... if you want to be president, go for it (hell our president now is black) if you want to be a bum on the street, go for it, or if you want to be stuck in middle class hell, you can do this as well. Skies the limit... so why is this still used as much?

Some do use racism as a crutch. Others use it as something to make them feel important (the article that was posted here a few months ago that effectively said racially blind people are racist is a good example.) And there is still genuine racism out there because some people are just plain stupid and need someone else to blame their problems on.

I think teaching about racism and why it's bad is a good thing. But I think walking on eggshells around people because of their race is dumb also. We're past affirmative action. Unfortunately, some people just won't let it go.